Speculation: Chicago 1st round pick

YoSoyLalo

me reading HF
Oct 8, 2010
www.gofundme.com
With the news of Quenneville returning to Chicago, it got me thinking about if the Hawks would be willing to move their current pick (slotted 8th) for some immediate help. IMO, bringing back Quenneville signifies that the Hawks are considering this a down year - and it’s certainly possible that it was.

What are Chicago’s needs? I’d assume defense and goalie (particularly with Crawford’s issues).

Jay haller

Oct 22, 2017
They probably are not moving it unless it’s for something they view as a Keith replacement.

Reactions: Jtown

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
Q seems to think Crawford will be good to go next year, but a good backup would be nice. I suspect that if they make a trade for a goaltender it will be for a young backup that has potential to be a starter. But D is the big need for sure.

Last edited:

pheasant

Nov 2, 2010
I said it earlier this year, the Blackhawks actually have issues with the forwards, defence, and in goal. I would rank the problems like this:

1- Defensive. Seabrook was bad this year. Hjalmarsson is gone, and he left a huge hole. Murphy wasn't dependable. Keith is being overworked (after years of being overworked).

2- Goaltending. The Crawford injury is a serious concern, and there is no dependable backup goalie or potential future starter.

3- Forwards. Toews/Saad didn't produce. No one was a consistent dangerous threat except for Kane.

The biggest need is on the blueline, and it's the one that has no chance of sorting itself out. Toews/Saad might bounce back, and some other forwards might make progress. That might be OK without big changes. Crawford might just be healthy, and be the MVP backbone guy as early as next season. Who knows?

But the blueline is a serious problem. Even if Connor Murphy steps up, they still don't have a reliable top 4. That's where they need to improve. And unless they win the top pick, they probably can't solve that problem with their 1st alone, be it drafting someone or in trade.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
Our forward depth is fine. Maybe could use another elite player, but between Kane, Toews, Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Hinostroza, Saad, and Sikura, we should be fine in that aspect for the foreseeable future. Not the best offense, but we have enough guys that have top 6 talent on the roster.

We need a good backup goalie, but we're not giving up a top 10 pick for that.

Defense is ugly at times this year. I think Forsling will finally stick. He was our best defensemen for about a month and then his play dropped when he lost his partner, Rutta, due to injury. Ended up being sent down to Rockford for the rest of the year.

I also think Bowman will look at trying to sign one of De Haan or Moore this offseason. De Haan is the better player, but a lot of teams will be interested in him. Moore is a decent middle pairing guy, has a good amount of experience while being on the right side of thirty, and is from the Chicagoland area, so I think he makes a lot of sense for us.

On the right side we need help. Murphy and Rutta are fine, but neither is a top pairing guy. Seabrook is at most a #6 these days (damn that evil contract!). Maybe Bowman tries packaging one of Murphy/Rutta and our top pick for a top pairing RHD, but outside of that we have no glaring holes that need to be filled using our best draft pick in a decade.

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I really like our forward depth. As long as everyone has an average year, I think the following top 9 is pretty strong.
Debrincat-Toews-Hinostroza
Saad-Schmaltz-Kane
Hayden/Ejdsell-Anisimov-Sikura
Flip the lines as you will, but I'm comfortable with those guys in my top 9.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I really like our forward depth. As long as everyone has an average year, I think the following top 9 is pretty strong.
Debrincat-Toews-Hinostroza
Saad-Schmaltz-Kane
Hayden/Ejdsell-Anisimov-Sikura
Flip the lines as you will, but I'm comfortable with those guys in my top 9.
I have to assume Anisimov won't be here next year. Bowman keeps going for a youth movement and not only is Anisimov not youthful, he's also going from an NMC to a modified NTC this summer. Probably pencil in Ejdsell as his replacement. Also Duclair is likely to be here as well.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
Our forward depth is fine. Maybe could use another elite player, but between Kane, Toews, Schmaltz, DeBrincat, Hinostroza, Saad, and Sikura, we should be fine in that aspect for the foreseeable future. Not the best offense, but we have enough guys that have top 6 talent on the roster.

We need a good backup goalie, but we're not giving up a top 10 pick for that.

Defense is ugly at times this year. I think Forsling will finally stick. He was our best defensemen for about a month and then his play dropped when he lost his partner, Rutta, due to injury. Ended up being sent down to Rockford for the rest of the year.

I also think Bowman will look at trying to sign one of De Haan or Moore this offseason. De Haan is the better player, but a lot of teams will be interested in him. Moore is a decent middle pairing guy, has a good amount of experience while being on the right side of thirty, and is from the Chicagoland area, so I think he makes a lot of sense for us.

On the right side we need help. Murphy and Rutta are fine, but neither is a top pairing guy. Seabrook is at most a #6 these days (damn that evil contract!). Maybe Bowman tries packaging one of Murphy/Rutta and our top pick for a top pairing RHD, but outside of that we have no glaring holes that need to be filled using our best draft pick in a decade.

What about a backup goalie + a defenseman?

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
I have to assume Anisimov won't be here next year. Bowman keeps going for a youth movement and not only is Anisimov not youthful, he's also going from an NMC to a modified NTC this summer. Probably pencil in Ejdsell as his replacement. Also Duclair is likely to be here as well.
I think he should try to move him if the value is there. If the rumor about CBJ only offering a 3rd is true, and any indication of what the market for him is, then I would rather just hang on to him. That said, given his production over the last 3 years, I would expect they could get at least a 2nd + prospect for him. In that scenario, I would be comfortable moving him and allowing Ejdsell to take over that spot. Duclair I think will probably be here, but I don't think he's any better than anybody in that top 9 at the moment.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
My only concern w/ Chicago signing players is they are approaching Salary Cap peak, their window of money is insanely small. Probably easier trading for a cheap asset than signing a UFA.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
I think he should try to move him if the value is there. If the rumor about CBJ only offering a 3rd is true, and any indication of what the market for him is, then I would rather just hang on to him. That said, given his production over the last 3 years, I would expect they could get at least a 2nd + prospect for him. In that scenario, I would be comfortable moving him and allowing Ejdsell to take over that spot. Duclair I think will probably be here, but I don't think he's any better than anybody in that top 9 at the moment.

I'm not a big fan of Duclair myself, but he'll get into the top 9 simply because his game is not that of a bottom line player (Hayden would likely have to go play there in his place).

What about a backup goalie + a defenseman?

Depends on the players, but I'd likely say no. Rather we signed a UFA goalie than go and trade for one.

My only concern w/ Chicago signing players is they are approaching Salary Cap peak, their window of money is insanely small. Probably easier trading for a cheap asset than signing a UFA.

Actually, we're the best we've been in a long time cap wise (provided the $78-82m figure is correct). We can keep all of our signed guys next year, re-sign everybody who still needs to be signed (Hino, Hayden, Duclair), and have a few million in wiggle room without even doing anything with Hossa's contract.

The following year might be a little tighter with Schmaltz needing to re-signed, but a lot of that depends on who we add to the roster throughout the next year.

JLarucci23

May 22, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't think Stan will move the pick. We need a blue chip prospect in the system (Id prefer a Dman but would be okay with a BPA approach) but it'd think the Nashville pick could be moved to recoup a second round pick or two because we don't have one...

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
I don't think Stan will move the pick. We need a blue chip prospect in the system (Id prefer a Dman but would be okay with a BPA approach) but it'd think the Nashville pick could be moved to recoup a second round pick or two because we don't have one...

Yea you don't turn around a franchise by going as long as possible without a top 10 pick. Ask Detroit. Someone would have to floor Stan for him to move it

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
Q seems to think Crawford will be good to go next year, but a good backup would be nice. I suspect that if they make a trade for a goaltender it will be for a young backup that has potential to be a starter. But D is the big need for sure.

Zuccarello @ 50% retained in a package for Nashville’s 1st?

Like Zucc, but the Hawks don’t need him.

Defense - Marc Staal at half [5.7 reduced to 2.85] for Anisimov at 4+
helps w/cap
Staal is effective 3LD if not overworked and will be even better outside crazy AV hybrid D system.

G Georgiev can be had for a decent comparable prospect. However, my thoughts were a bad contract swap w/Canes...
Darling + McKeown for Smith + Georgiev
Rangers G coach guru rehabs Darling, Canes rehab Smith.
need G prospect, need RD prospect swapped.
Darling returned to form sold to highest bidder.

However, if you want to rehab Darling on your own, w/w'out retain, that can be arranged.

Zuc - can be had or not if the price is right
Dallas is also believed to be a buyer

key consideration is if Chicago pick moved in swap for later NYR pick(s)

TkachukNorris79

Jan 27, 2018
I'd do like Ceci and Pittsburgh 1st (could be 20th overall but could also be 31 again) for 8th. As long as you're not gonna give him top pairing minutes, he can be a pretty good 3/4 but don't expect much more. Has all the tools to be much better but only shows flashes. Maybe Coach Q brings out his potential but Boucher definitely isn't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad