LeBrun: Chiarot likely to be dealt and return a 1st round pick

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
5 teams have already traded their 1 st round picks.
- Florida, Vegas, Carolina and Colorado …. The four top favourites have already made their move.
At most I see 4-5 other teams parting with a first round pick.

I do not see Chairot in the top 4-5 players available to be moved at the deadline.

- Gio….Seattle
-Pav…Dallas
- Lindholm and Manson /Getzlaf
- Copp Winnipeg
-Hertl

plus 5 more b4 Chairot

edit ….Giroux, Fleury, Gaudreau,

If only teams could trade future 1st rounders...someone should suggest that

Reactions: FloJack

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
i just don't get it, but if chiarot can fetch a 1st, the blues should be able to get a 2nd or maybe more for scandella. i hope montreal somehow sets the market for 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman ridiculously high

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
i just don't get it, but if chiarot can fetch a 1st, the blues should be able to get a 2nd or maybe more for scandella. i hope montreal somehow sets the market for 2nd/3rd pairing defenseman ridiculously high
Chiarot is much better then Scandella tho. They are similar in positioning and defensive awarness, but Chiarot is just on another level physically. He's also a better skater.

Didn't check but is Scandella deal expiring?

Reactions: Tim Wallach

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Chiarot is much better then Scandella tho. They are similar in positioning and defensive awarness, but Chiarot is just on another level physically. He's also a better skater.

Didn't check but is Scandella deal expiring?
scandella has 2 more years at 3.275 and is one year older than chiarot. perhaps the advanced stats n such show chiarot is better. watching him on ice, i hope the blues avoid paying that high of a price for an expiring UFA. again, i agree scandella likely has less value, but if chiarot can go for a first, the blues should be able to get more for scandella than expected.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario

Dis you forget what the blues paid Montreal for Scandella?

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Dis you forget what the blues paid Montreal for Scandella?
no i recall the 2nd and a conditional 4th being exchanged. it was considered a "good" haul at the time for montreal at the time, but the blues desperately needed a defenseman after bouwmeester nearly died on ice.

Reactions: PocketNines

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
scandella has 2 more years at 3.275 and is one year older than chiarot. perhaps the advanced stats n such show chiarot is better. watching him on ice, i hope the blues avoid paying that high of a price for an expiring UFA. again, i agree scandella likely has less value, but if chiarot can go for a first, the blues should be able to get more for scandella than expected.
Yes, I think you should expect a 2nd back for Scandella. However it might be easier to trade him in the summer because his deal isn't expiring. He's a good vet who can play tough minutes.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Yes, I think you should expect a 2nd back for Scandella. However it might be easier to trade him in the summer because his deal isn't expiring. He's a good vet who can play tough minutes.
if montreal can swing a first for chiarot, then i agree, the blues could get better results from trading scandella. like i said, i just don't see the value in chiarot watching him play, but please bump that market up for the rest of us.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
if montreal can swing a first for chiarot, then i agree, the blues could get better results from trading scandella. like i said, i just don't see the value in chiarot watching him play, but please bump that market up for the rest of us.
When have you watched? Montreal is a shit show this year and he's one of the few who still hold his end. It's very hard to look any better on that team to be honest, half the guys have checked out.
If you watched him last year and the playoffs, you'd probably have a better understanding of what you'll get out of him.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
When have you watched? Montreal is a shit show this year and he's one of the few who still hold his end. It's very hard to look any better on that team to be honest, half the guys have checked out.
If you watched him last year and the playoffs, you'd probably have a better understanding of what you'll get out of him.
i think i've seen enough this season and in previous years to form a good opinion on what he offers, but i'm sure if quantified, it's less than montreal fans would prefer to weigh in on him. i miss plenty of games so perhaps i'm missing something. not claiming to be an expert on him or defense, just surprised he would fetch a first with what he brings when i've seen him play.

jfhabs

May 21, 2015
i think i've seen enough this season and in previous years to form a good opinion on what he offers, but i'm sure if quantified, it's less than montreal fans would prefer to weigh in on him. i miss plenty of games so perhaps i'm missing something. not claiming to be an expert on him or defense, just surprised he would fetch a first with what he brings when i've seen him play.
I don't know, maybe you overvalue late first and/or equivalent prospect. Chances are that pick never will be be a 2nd pair defenseman or equivalent level forward/goalie.
I believe it might have to do with the blues succes with mid-late first and the lack of success of the Habs , could be why our valuation differ

Tim Wallach

Oct 9, 2007
Kitchener, Ontario
The Ben Chiarot of two years ago maybe. There's no way he gets a 1st rounder.

Two years ago? He has been a beast for two consecutive playoffs, the last of which ended just in July of 2021. And this season, he has been the only reliable vet in a total trainwreck situation.

Almost all of their values have plunged, but Chiarot absolutely is worth it for a contender.

Doc5

Aug 8, 2012
Would you give a first rounder for him in deep draft ?

I can’t see it but maybe someone bites
I wouldn’t but was just taken aback by the comment that said he regressed. 2022 is a deep draft?

malton

Feb 17, 2009
I really hope we get a 1st for Chiarot. I would also hate my team if they traded a 1st for Chiarot.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I wouldn’t but was just taken aback by the comment that said he regressed. 2022 is a deep draft?
I don’t watch him a lot but thought he has gotten better with experience

yeh next 2 drafts considered deep - listen to lot of podcasts and subscribe to Red Line

if Gorton who I believe will do a very good job gets firsts good on him

Reactions: Doc5

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad