News Article: Chiarelli thinks that the Oilers will not make SC playoffs

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
What are you guys thinking do we have changes to make playoffs. I am leaning to the direction that the ship needs to be turn around quickly. Sekera will be back soon but if we are below 0.500 hockey I do not see a chance.

I read the following blog
Chiarelli talks Oilers struggles and #GeneralDisappointment

Chiarelli's comments were absolute shock. If we are out of the race would you fire him or trade expiring contracts at dead line and let him fix the problem

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
What are you guys thinking do we have changes to make playoffs. I am leaning to the direction that the ship needs to be turn around quickly. Sekera will be back soon but if we are below 0.500 hockey I do not see a chance.

Chiarelli's comments were absolute shock. If we are out of the race would you fire him or trade expiring contracts at dead line and let him fix the problem

At this point I think its like 50-50 % chance that they will make the playoffs (in my opinion) not statistically.

They have some things going for them: 1) they play a lot of western games and their record is better against the west than the east 2) a lot of the other good pacific teams are struggling. 3) I think they are better than their record indicates

There are times watching this team I think they are going to break out. I thought it before the Detroit game. I thought it before the St. Louis game. This team just cant seem to get ahead. I want to believe in the team but it also feels like its not really their year. The next month or so will be really important. They need to start putting some winning streaks together.

Reactions: SomeDudeOTI

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
We win the next 2 games then we are 9-10-2 at the quarter mark of the season. If we play .600 hockey from game 22 on then we finish with 92 points which might be good enough to get in.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
Here's another article with a few more quotes from Chiarelli.

Chiarelli: Oilers ‘losing runway’ to turn season around - Article - TSN

Chiarelli disputed the notion the Oilers have gotten slower – though a lack of speed has been voiced as a concern by head coach Todd McLellan and McDavid – instead saying the Oilers are just “playing slower.” They aren’t “thinking fast, playing fast, breaking the puck out fast, reacting fast."

“I know there’s been a lot of talk about the slowness of this team. By no means is it slow,” Chiarelli said. “You end up playing slow. We have been. Having said that, up until [Thursday] night, we haven’t been playing slow the last five or six games. I thought we had a real good road trip [2-1-1 vs. East]. I believe that area is coming around. It’s just consistency and executing right now.”
:rolleyes:

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

If your going to get hung up on anything Bagged Milk writes you might as well slit your wrists tonight and save yourself the trouble of living.

Reactions: dawunderboy

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
2014-15 = Visually Better
2017-18 = Mentally Slower
Yes, we need a McTavish presser to get some better quotes.

"The team were visually better last year."

"This year, they're statistically worse, but conceptually better."

"The team's current record is indubitably horse manure."

Might take some heat off Chia.

Reactions: Del Preston

Broilers

May 31, 2007
Bakersfield
Not much we can do now except to ride it out and hope that McDavid and Talbot go beast mode.
It seems to me that Talbot stole 10 pts for us in the last year. Sekera injury means 5 pts as well as Eberle trade. If Talbot does not get back to his game we will have 80-85 pts

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
Every team that has made the playoffs since the shortened 12/13 NHL season has not had a record worse than what the Oilers have now. That kinda solidified it for me.

The Oilers should try to move out as many contracts as possible at the deadline. Find a GM who can build an actual supporting cast and not pay bottom pairing D men 4M for 4 years with a NMC.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Every team that has made the playoffs since the shortened 12/13 NHL season has not had a record worse than what the Oilers have now. That kinda solidified it for me.

The Oilers should try to move out as many contracts as possible at the deadline. Find a GM who can build an actual supporting cast and not pay bottom pairing D men 4M for 4 years with a NMC.
We have a lot of ufa/RFAs this year. But no one good.

Maroon, Strome, Letestu, Cammaleri

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It seem like the sample size is big enough to say there is something wrong with the team. Maybe getting Sekera back is enough but I think we should be acting like it is the deadline now. Why not have Sekera+?

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
It seem like the sample size is big enough to say there is something wrong with the team. Maybe getting Sekera back is enough but I think we should be acting like it is the deadline now. Why not have Sekera+?

You need to have a team willing to be a seller right now.

It's pretty damn rare for anything meaningful to happen this time of year. Not impossible of course, but the time to make big changes was in the summer, or at the deadline.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
We are currently at 11.2% chance to make the playoffs.

I think we are currently sitting 4 points outside playoffs with 60 games left, that 11.2 % number is way off.

The method used to calculate those chances is somewhat accurate late in the season, with few matches left, but it is pretty broken this early in the season.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
You need to have a team willing to be a seller right now.

It's pretty damn rare for anything meaningful to happen this time of year. Not impossible of course, but the time to make big changes was in the summer, or at the deadline.
maybe we could find a move like the Cammy trade but a bit bigger. But maybe that would not happen with a team that's killing it now like LA, but maybe there is another team just like us out there that wants to shake up things, and do a win-win deal rather than a buyer-seller type of deal.

But even there, like you say it's probably way easier by the deadline than now.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad