Not open for further replies.

HappySabresFan

Jul 1, 2018
upload_2018-12-30_21-44-10.png

Reactions: singlesliceofcheese

nickdawg95

scoutdawg
Jan 7, 2016
Dorion can't build a proper team because of the Owner, this is Chiarelli but a country mile

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Chiarelli is the conversation for worst of all time.

No he's not.

The answer here is definitely Chiarelli, but people who say Chia is in the conversation for worst of all time need a refresher on their hockey history. Chiarelli is nothing compared to guys like Waddell and Milbury.

Reactions: SillyRabbit

Clint Eastwood

Eff the Habs
Nov 11, 2018
Pierre Dorion is one of Melnyk's puppets. He has to have his strings pulled in order to work.

Chia is just Chia

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
I didn’t even dislike Chiarelli that much but after the Manning he has to go.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
No he's not.

The answer here is definitely Chiarelli, but people who say Chia is in the conversation for worst of all time need a refresher on their hockey history. Chiarelli is nothing compared to guys like Waddell and Milbury.

Neither of those two ever traded a league MVP for a second pairing defenceman not to mention the Reinhart deal likely cost them Barzal. Worst thing Milbury did was that Yashin deal for Chara and Redden and the Luongo deal. Both pale in comparison to the Hall trade, Lucic signing etc

Erik Alfredsson

Beast Mode Cowboy!
Jan 14, 2012
Chia ainec. Dorion sucks, he's a below average GM that has one of the worst owners in NHL history barking orders at him. Chia doesn't have an excuse, and he's made a complete mess of Edmonton.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Neither of those two ever traded a league MVP for a second pairing defenceman not to mention the Reinhart deal likely cost them Barzal. Worst thing Milbury did was that Yashin deal for Chara and Redden and the Luongo deal. Both pale in comparison to the Hall trade, Lucic signing etc

You really need to brush up on your hockey history if you think Chiarelli has done anything nearly as bad as Waddell and Milbury. At least Chiarelli has a cup with Boston. Waddell? He won literally 0 playoff games in like 13 years as the of the Thrashers. He traded both Hossa and Kovalchuk for borderline nothing. Who cares if Chiarelli traded Hall for Larsson? At least he got something for Hall, that's more than what could be said about Waddell.

Milbury ruined the future of the Islanders. Waddell ruined the Thrashers in their entire existence in Atlanta. Chiarelli has a long way to go to reach that ineptitude, just because of how bad those guys were.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
You really need to brush up on your hockey history if you think Chiarelli has done anything nearly as bad as Waddell and Milbury. At least Chiarelli has a cup with Boston. Waddell? He won literally 0 playoff games in like 13 years as the of the Thrashers. He traded both Hossa and Kovalchuk for borderline nothing. Who cares if Chiarelli traded Hall for Larsson? At least he got something for Hall, that's more than what could be said about Waddell.

Milbury ruined the future of the Islanders. Waddell ruined the Thrashers in their entire existence in Atlanta. Chiarelli has a long way to go to reach that ineptitude, just because of how bad those guys were.

I think you’re giving Chia way too much credit in terms of the Bruins his biggest move there was the no brainer signing of Chara. Don’t forget he traded Tyler Seguin away for Loui Ericsson who was less than stellar until his free agent year.

Looking back at those Waddel moves you mentioned he gambled on young guys that didn’t pan out like Patrice Cormier and Angelo Esposito. Colby Armstrong and Johnny Oduya were serviceable guys though but he did obviously lose those trades.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think you’re giving Chia way too much credit in terms of the Bruins his biggest move there was the no brainer signing of Chara. Don’t forget he traded Tyler Seguin away for Loui Ericsson who was less than stellar until his free agent year.

Of the players on that 2011 cup team, a vast majority of them were Chiarelli acquired players. You'd have a shorter list of players who were in the Bruins organization prior to 2006. This is utter BS, he built that 2011 team for the most part.

On that 2011 cup team, he either drafted, signed or traded for everyone but Krejci, Bergeron and Thomas. Regardless of how badly he has done in Edmonton, he still has the 2011 Bruins cup to his name. Waddell and Milbury set their teams back by years, they were disgraces as GMs.

The List Of Jericho

Judas effect
Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Of the players on that 2011 cup team, a vast majority of them were Chiarelli acquired players. You'd have a shorter list of players who were in the Bruins organization prior to 2006. This is utter BS, he built that 2011 team for the most part.

On that 2011 cup team, he either drafted, signed or traded for everyone but Krejci, Bergeron and Thomas. Regardless of how badly he has done in Edmonton, he still has the 2011 Bruins cup to his name. Waddell and Milbury set their teams back by years, they were disgraces as GMs.

History of hockey trades by general manager Peter Chiarelli - NHL Trade Tracker

I don’t tend to give the GM credit for drafting guys considering that’s what the head scout is for but to each their own.

Looking at that list, he definetly hit on a few but some rather luckily. The Kessel trade he could never have anticipated the Leafs would be so bad but I will give him credit he fleeced Leafs management at that point on every deal. Also got Boychuk and Horton.

The Seguin trade was pretty bad though as was handing the Hawks Kris Versteeg who was a big part of their cup runs.

I would say he would get a C+ trade wise.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chiarelli is the conversation for worst of all time.
Both are there is no right or wrong answer in this poll.

However once Duchene, Dzingel and Stone all leave at pennies to the dollar while giving up first OA. I think its safe to say no GM in the history of hockey will have done a worse job in such a short period of time. So Dorion gets my vote. (Dont forget that he also talks to the fan base sarcastically like we are the idiots in the situation). This is a guy that after trading the best player in franchise history for a bunch of scraps brought up that Norris is best friends with Brady Tkachuk. Like thats part of the reason he traded for the player.

Last edited:

Nipsey

Aug 8, 2018
Chiarelli traded an eventual MVP winner for a 2nd pairing d-man. Has wasted 2 years of McDavid and lord knows how many more if he remains in charge. Zero winger depth.

Dorion has made some bad trades but he is not on this level of incompetence.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Chiarelli traded an eventual MVP winner for a 2nd pairing d-man. Has wasted 2 years of McDavid and lord knows how many more if he remains in charge. Zero winger depth.

Dorion has made some bad trades but he is not on this level of incompetence.
They are rebuilding without their first round pick. What can be more incompetent than that?

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I think Chia is easily the worst GM in the NHL. But I can’t say he’s the worst of all time because he won a Cup. Diminish it as much as you want but that clearly puts him above Milbury.
The job he’s done in Edmonton has just been terrible though. If we were just looking at his tenure in Edmonton then I think he’d be the worst ever. As bad as Mulbury was he never had McDavid on his team.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad