News Article: Chiarelli: No intentions of firing McLellan

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I think they bomb this year get a high pick, top 10.

Be better next year but still miss. Asking Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to be the winger depth on the team that score goals is not fair, but the Oilers don't have cap room to sign anyone major. They'll have maybe $2-$3 million even if the cap rises a lot and that doesn't buy you much.

In the 2019-20 season I think they will make the playoffs again. So a two year hiatus. And then it will take this group a couple more years to "learn" some lessons in the playoffs.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I think they bomb this year get a high pick, top 10.

Be better next year but still miss. Asking Puljujarvi and Yamamoto to be the winger depth on the team that score goals is not fair, but the Oilers don't have cap room to sign anyone major. They'll have maybe $2-$3 million even if the cap rises a lot and that doesn't buy you much.

In the 2019-20 season I think they will make the playoffs again. So a two year hiatus. And then it will take this group a couple more years to "learn" some lessons in the playoffs.

Yamamoto needs to stop sleep walking through this season if he wants to even be in the conversation for next season. We need to re-tool the bottom 6 and add another shot on D. Ideally we'd add a guy like Hoffman as well but salary would have to be moving out.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Yamamoto needs to stop sleep walking through this season if he wants to even be in the conversation for next season. We need to re-tool the bottom 6 and add another shot on D. Ideally we'd add a guy like Hoffman as well but salary would have to be moving out.

We don't have money to do these things.

There is no "money to move out". The only money to move out is Nugent Hopkins and you're just making another hole doing that.

I think it's time to forget the 3 center thing. Leon is going to be a RW because we have no wingers. That's just how it has to be for the next year or two. Put Connor and Leon back together, put Puljujarvi with RNH next year. We don't have depth, time to stop pretending we do.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
We don't have money to do these things.

There is no "money to move out". The only money to move out is Nugent Hopkins and you're just making another hole doing that.

I think it's time to forget the 3 center thing. Leon is going to be a RW because we have no wingers. That's just how it has to be for the next year or two. Put Connor and Leon back together, put Puljujarvi with RNH next year. We don't have depth, time to stop pretending we do.

What is the next cap looking like? Last that I heard it was looking favorable for us. I'd likely deal Maroon and let Strome walk unless we can get futures for him. I'd also consider moving Kassian.

Reactions: Oilers in NS

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
What is the next cap looking like? Last that I heard it was looking favorable for us. I'd likely deal Maroon and let Strome walk unless we can get futures for him. I'd also consider moving Kassian.

Even at $79-$80 million, the Oilers won't have much money.

Factoring in Nurse at $3-$4 million and having to keep a cushion for Puljujarvi's bonuses (some of which he will hit because of McDavid) ... we'll have like $3-$4 million in cap.

And you can't go and spend that on a multi-year player either IMO. You need to have money the following summer open for Puljujarvi's raise and to re-sign Talbot or sign another goalie and that's not going to be peanuts.

They have enough money to keep RNH ... that's the good news, but all this stuff about adding Hoffmans and people like that is likely not possible. We don't have the space anymore to take on like $5+ million dollar players.

I'd assume a roster like this next year. Strome traded for Duclair. If Yamamoto can play at a decent level then he plays with Leon, if not, Leon moves to McDavid's RW.

Lucic McDavid Puljujarvi
Caggiula Draisaitl Yamamoto
Duclair RNH Kassian
$1 mill guy Khaira Slepyshev

Same D basically.

Soliloquy of a Dogge

I love you, Boots
Aug 8, 2012
San Diego, CA
This makes me sick to my stomach. We are absolutely f***ed.

Being led to slaughter by narcissists and sycophants who can't see the forest from the trees because they're too busy patting each other on the ass for lucking their way into things.

Why the f*** would professional athletes be accountable and display work ethic when, starting at the very top, the executives aren't held accountable? Why would they be accountable when a coach staff that is historically inept is being given a vote of confidence when they repeatedly make it a point to put this team in the worst possible situation to succeed?

Absolutely repulsive lack of leadership. Wouldn't surprise me if McDavid eventually demands a trade out of this shitty situation.

We won't win a single thing with McLellan as coach, his assistants handling Special Teams or Chia holding an executive position.

Reactions: RattsSSV

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Go big or go home. If you’re not going to win the cup then just draft 1st overalll. A bold strategy.

I honestly do think Chia may be trying to sell Katz on another mini-rebuild and the "plan" is to go for a Cup when McDavid is 24/25. Tank this year, improve but miss next year with a younger winger group.

Chia does not have the cap room or assets to make upgrades on the roster.

missinthejets

Dec 24, 2005
Why all the wailing and gnashing of teeth? Giving coaches the vote of confidence is the last thing a GM does before firing those coaches.

The fact that this is even coming up shows that it's been thought about. Same with bringing in a new special teams coach, firing the assistants etc etc. It's all been thought about, that they aren't ready to pull the trigger on that right this instant shouldn't be a surprise either. GMs are more patient than fans tend to be, but let's not kid anyone, things don't turn around those changes happen.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
I honestly do think Chia may be trying to sell Katz on another mini-rebuild and the "plan" is to go for a Cup when McDavid is 24/25. Tank this year, improve but miss next year with a younger winger group.

Chia does not have the cap room or assets to make upgrades on the roster.
I hope chia is gone before he gets the chance at this mini rebuild.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
22b1ry
22b1ry.jpg

22b1ry

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Even at $79-$80 million, the Oilers won't have much money.

Factoring in Nurse at $3-$4 million and having to keep a cushion for Puljujarvi's bonuses (some of which he will hit because of McDavid) ... we'll have like $3-$4 million in cap.

And you can't go and spend that on a multi-year player either IMO. You need to have money the following summer open for Puljujarvi's raise and to re-sign Talbot or sign another goalie and that's not going to be peanuts.

They have enough money to keep RNH ... that's the good news, but all this stuff about adding Hoffmans and people like that is likely not possible. We don't have the space anymore to take on like $5+ million dollar players.

I'm starting to wonder if we see one of Nurse or Klefbom dealt for help up front. I just had a thought regarding Ottawa. Say the deal would be something like this:

To Edmonton: Hoffman and Ceci
To Ottawa: Nurse, Kassian, Caggiula/Slepyshev, our '18 2nd round pick and a defense prospect

We shed some cap in Kassian ($1.8 million), Nurse is clearly the big prize going to Ottawa but now instead of us having to open the vault for him we end up re-signing Ceci likely for a similar cost but he adds a much needed RH shot. Hoffman takes Maroon's spot.

Or maybe Klefbom is the one dealt instead in which case Kassian likely comes out of the deal and it's more like Klefbom + Caggiula/Sleppy + 2nd + prospect

Last edited:

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I'm starting to wonder if we see one of Nurse or Klefbom dealt for help up front. I just had a thought regarding Ottawa. Say the deal would be something like this:

To Edmonton: Hoffman and Ceci
To Ottawa: Nurse, Kassian, Caggiula/Slepyshev, our '18 2nd round pick and a defense prospect

We shed some cap in Kassian ($1.8 million), Nurse is clearly the big prize going to Ottawa but now instead of us having to open the vault for him we end up re-signing Ceci likely for a similar cost but he adds a much needed RH shot. Hoffman takes Maroon's spot.

Or maybe Klefbom is the one dealt instead in which case Kassian likely comes out of the deal and it's more like Klefbom + Caggiula/Sleppy + 2nd + prospect

I'm not knocking your idea, though Chia in reality would never get that many assets back. It would be Nurse for Hoffman straight across.

Trade Hall to "help" the D for a no.3 D.

Trade Klefbom or Nurse (better than Larsson) to then fill the new paper thin forward group with a winger worse than Hall.

Cue Chia's musical theme:

Reactions: PGW

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I'm not knocking your idea, though Chia in reality would never get that many assets back. It would be Nurse for Hoffman straight across.

Trade Hall to "help" the D for a no.3 D.

Trade Klefbom or Nurse (better than Larsson) to then fill the new paper thin forward group with a winger worse than Hall.

Cue Chia's musical theme:

Hall is clearly the better playmaker, but Hoffman is by far the better sniper. We were going to build down the middle and having 3 high end passers playing down the middle, it makes a lot of sense to look for guys that want to shoot the puck and do so with velocity.

I also think that Larsson has been hurt much of this season and that the version of him that we are seeing is not a very good one (same for Klefbom). We are too LD heavy and since 2/4 in our top 6 have NMC's we are left to deal possibly one of the two best from that group.

VainGretzky

Jun 4, 2015
Nurse is the last D that should be traded
Why Chia idiot will probably do it , I remember listening to Chia after the the trade deadline last year that he did not want to mess with the roster that the chemistry was at a perfect balance in the room and on the ice , so why in the hell did he change it up so big in the summer . Nothing worse than a impulsive GM that does not even try to maximize assets .

48g90a138pts

Jun 30, 2016

Trade Eberle for Strome and a year later let him walk???? wtf

He's a RFA, we sign him to the same 2.5 mil contract he's getting right now. Definitely hasn't proven anything to be deserving of a raise.

PBandJ

If it didn't happen in the 80's, it didn't happen
Jan 5, 2012
Edmonton, Alberta
Good.

About time the players are asked why they keep tuning coaches out. Bunch of lazy, disinterested hums.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
That's fine, we'll let our new GM select a new coach this offseason.

What a moron.

frag2

Mar 8, 2006
Good.

About time the players are asked why they keep tuning coaches out. Bunch of lazy, disinterested hums.

When your coach does things that make zero sense, I dont blame them.

If your driving instructor tell you to drive into a busy intersection when there's no green light, do you still drive into the intersection?

Canada Drai

Dwemer Remix
Oct 4, 2017
Has everyone forgotten the REAL reason for this? McDavid's EA Sports curse. Sure, blame Letestu, Chia, Woodcroft, and others while EA Sports gets a free ride. Typical HFOil tbh, always blaming the wrong people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad