Confirmed with Link: Chiarelli Named Finalist for GM of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

McShogun99

Aug 30, 2009
Edmonton
Based on the moves he made and how much the teams improved , PC definitely deserves to win. He made moves that turned us into a contender.

Game 8

Mar 8, 2003
Based on the moves he made and how much the teams improved , PC definitely deserves to win. He made moves that turned us into a contender.

You know after I have had time to think about it more, if the refereeing had not have been so one sided as to determine the outcome of the last series in so many games, I think we would have won it all. We went a long way and gained a ton of invaluable experience.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
He definitely deserves to win it, but I'm sure it will wind up being Poile.

I am shocked.

The league/Media has been really ignoring Edmonton this whole year. Took a controversial second round series loss that went seven games before Edmonton got any credit.

Glad they dont pick coach and GM right at the season end because niether Chiarelli or Mclellan would have been nominated.

Talbot snubbed a bit for Vesna. Klefbom for Byng. But I think everything else the Oilers deserved made the cut.

I don't even care if Mclellan and Chiarelli get hardware just happy the were recognized for thier excellent work.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Fully expect the #FireChiarelli crowd on here and on Twitter to keep their heads firmly buried in the sand.

Wonder if crow tastes good with plum sauce?

Anyway. Well deserved. He and McLellan should have a well earned weekend off in Vegas.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Fully expect the #FireChiarelli crowd on here and on Twitter to keep their heads firmly buried in the sand.

Wonder if crow tastes good with plum sauce?

Anyway. Well deserved. He and McLellan should have a well earned weekend off in Vegas.

I was one of those people, leading the charge all last summer.

I was wrong. Overestimated the loss of Hall, underestimated the ability of the d-core as a whole, and honestly underestimated the impact McDavid would have in his 2nd year.

shoop

Jul 6, 2008
Edmonton
Glad they dont pick coach and GM right at the season end because niether Chiarelli or Mclellan would have been nominated.

Talbot snubbed a bit for Vesna. Klefbom for Byng. But I think everything else the Oilers deserved made the cut.

McDavid wins the Hart easily. Chia should be competitive for the GM award. I don't think McLellan will come close to winning the Jack Adams.

Are you sure about when the voting takes place? I thought all the regular season awards were voted on ... at the end of the regular season.

I don't agree that Talbot was snubbed. I wouldn't be shocked if he finished fifth in the voting, after Doobie. I can't see a case for Talbot being better than any of the finalists. Doesn't really matter though. Bobrovsky should walk away with it.

Lady Byng is really meh. Does anybody care? Can anybody name who won the Lady Byng last year without looking it up?

AddyTheWrath

Mar 24, 2015
Toronto
Geez reading the main board thread you'd think that Oilers run:

McDavid - McDavid - McDavid

McDavid - McDavid
McDavid - McDavid
McDavid - McDavid

McDavid

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

I was wrong. Overestimated the loss of Hall, underestimated the ability of the d-core as a whole, and honestly underestimated the impact McDavid would have in his 2nd year.

Kudos for owning it.

I wasn't a fan of the Hall trade at all when it happened, but I admit I was ignorant of just how good/tough/mean Larsson is. He's a legitimate strong #2 on a contender.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Swipe right

snipes

How cold? I’m ice cold.
Dec 28, 2015

Respect for owning it.

I'm glad we have Chia, the balance and stability he has brought to our team is incredible compared to past renditions. We finally have a team and guys who clearly care about each other above all. That's a good foundation for any successful team.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Not entirely sure what the savvy moves were that made him a finalist? He made some good ones and some pretty bad ones. You know, just being a GM.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
Not entirely sure what the savvy moves were that made him a finalist? He made some good ones and some pretty bad ones. You know, just being a GM.

Largest point improvement of any team in the league and added 1/2 of the d-core (that he had already begun to revamp the season before) that saw the team go from 27th in the league in GA to 8th.

It is a bit of a weird award though and I'm really not sure how it is evaluated. Does it include moves in the previous seasons that have contributed to success in the current year?

If you look at Chiarelli's body as a whole he's done a hell of a lot of work in revamping the roster.

Forwards he has brought in:
Lucic
Maroon
Kassian
Desharnais
Caggiula
Letestu
McDavid*

Defensemen he has brought in:

Sekera
Larsson
Russell
Benning
Gryba
Reinhart

Goalies he has brought in:
Talbot

*McDavid doesn't really count as drafting him was all but a formality when Chia was brought in but he wasn't technically part of the organization yet.

All of these guys played games for us in the playoffs this year. That's more than 1/2 a roster of guys who weren't part of the organization in any way when Chia took over. That's a lot of turnover.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Largest point improvement of any team in the league and added 1/2 of the d-core (that he had already begun to revamp the season before) that saw the team go from 27th in the league in GA to 8th.

It is a bit of a weird award though and I'm really not sure how it is evaluated. Does it include moves in the previous seasons that have contributed to success in the current year?

If you look at Chiarelli's body as a whole he's done a hell of a lot of work in revamping the roster.

Forwards he has brought in:
Lucic
Maroon
Kassian
Desharnais
Caggiula
Letestu
McDavid*

Defensemen he has brought in:

Sekera
Larsson
Russell
Benning
Gryba
Reinhart

Goalies he has brought in:
Talbot

*McDavid doesn't really count as drafting him was all but a formality when Chia was brought in but he wasn't technically part of the organization yet.

All of these guys played games for us in the playoffs this year. That's more than 1/2 a roster of guys who weren't part of the organization in any way when Chia took over. That's a lot of turnover.

Maybe I'm too limited in my thought but I see the Hall/Larsson trade as bold and ultimately well done. Russell was far from savvy move, in my eyes but some his other moves seem decent/inconsequential. I just think he reeks of a beneficiary of luck more than smart. He concerns me greatly still.

bzur

Feb 11, 2007
Be a GM mode is all I ever play anymore in EA NHL games.. I nominate Chiarelli for the cover of NHL 18 win or lose here. Haha

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Geez reading the main board thread you'd think that Oilers run:

McDavid - McDavid
McDavid - McDavid
McDavid - McDavid

McDavid

There's a lot of stupid in that thread. Color me surprised.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Maybe I'm too limited in my thought but I see the Hall/Larsson trade as bold and ultimately well done. Russell was far from savvy move, in my eyes but some his other moves seem decent/inconsequential. I just think he reeks of a beneficiary of luck more than smart. He concerns me greatly still.

Like almost every GM he will have his good streaks and his bad ones. But I am not sure how you can call it luck. He had a clear idea of what type of players he wanted and he got them. The results so far seems to suggest that his vision was correct.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
It was because they went off the board and picked this McDavid kid. Turned out ok I gather.

That sounds like main board mentality.
You know very well that Chia did a lot more than just inherit McDavid and Draisaitl. He was certainly lucky to have them as a base but if he doesn't make the right moves the last two offseasons, this team still struggles to even make the playoffs no matter how good those two are.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
If you're so bitter that you're "throwing shade" on Chiarelli for being nominated as GM of the year, in a year where he made a MAJOR move, the team improved 33 points in the standings, make the playoffs comfortably and won a playoff series.

You probably aren't an Oilers fan anymore.

You're just around here and the team out of habit more then anything.

Good on Chiarelli getting nominated, I would say this is an official media "endorsement" of the Larsson/Hall trade.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ive already ate my crow on the Hall/Larsson deal. Glowingly apparent Larsson was best available and move needed to be made. Full props to Chiarelli for finding a perfect fit for Klefbom and a stabilizing factor on our back end

On a whole, the GM of the year is a pointless award as so many moves GMs make take years to come to fruitation. Chiarelli does deserve full marks for Benning, handling Hall/Yak, Cagguila, Maroon, Kassian, even Russell. Oh and Talbot deal is one of best deals in NHl in past 5 years

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
Weird how things work. 10 months ago many here were referring to him as Chiaturd and calling for his head. Turns out his **** don't stink after all.

yeah. but those same people are just going to say the award should go to McDavid and not give any credit to the man.
haters gonna hate.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad