Confirmed with Link: Chiarelli Named Finalist for GM of the year

Status
Not open for further replies.

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards
The mainboard thread about this was even more entertaining than I expected.

It's really something watching people stumble to denounce Chiarelli. They love to hate you when your in the gutter for 10 years and when you take a huge leap out of that gutter they hate you even more. I love it

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
McDavid wins the Hart easily. Chia should be competitive for the GM award. I don't think McLellan will come close to winning the Jack Adams.

Are you sure about when the voting takes place? I thought all the regular season awards were voted on ... at the end of the regular season.

I don't agree that Talbot was snubbed. I wouldn't be shocked if he finished fifth in the voting, after Doobie. I can't see a case for Talbot being better than any of the finalists. Doesn't really matter though. Bobrovsky should walk away with it.

Lady Byng is really meh. Does anybody care? Can anybody name who won the Lady Byng last year without looking it up?

Agreed.

They are supposed to be for the regular season but I thought I have heard that the votes for Coach and GM don't happen till in the playoffs. Could be they vote at the end and release during playoffs but that seems strange to me. In short I have no real idea.

Talbot was very good/consistent this year. Price and Dub both started very well and slowly melted as the season went on. Not really a snub I suppose but felt Talbot should have been in the conversation more than he was. He was very much snubbed as an All Star.

Nobody cares about the Byng, but the finalists were strange and Klefbom most certainly should have in the running. Pretty remarkable for a D to be as effective as he was and take so few penalties.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
If you're so bitter that you're "throwing shade" on Chiarelli for being nominated as GM of the year, in a year where he made a MAJOR move, the team improved 33 points in the standings, make the playoffs comfortably and won a playoff series.

You probably aren't an Oilers fan anymore.

You're just around here and the team out of habit more then anything.

Good on Chiarelli getting nominated, I would say this is an official media "endorsement" of the Larsson/Hall trade.

Lol at the idea of the media finally endorsing the Hall/Larsson trade. Our media wasn't too bad when the trade happened but the national media was an embarrassment. Almost everybody outside of Edmonton was saying Chiarelli got raked with many of them calling it the worst trade in decades suggesting he should be fired. None of them were considering the bigger picture of team building. I can understand fans being emotional about a guy like Hall being dealt but I didn't get the medias reaction to it. A lot of guys looked like maybe they shouldn't be getting paid to comment on the NHL.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Lol at the idea of the media finally endorsing the Hall/Larsson trade. Our media wasn't too bad when the trade happened but the national media was an embarrassment. Almost everybody outside of Edmonton was saying Chiarelli got raked with many of them calling it the worst trade in decades suggesting he should be fired. None of them were considering the bigger picture of team building. I can understand fans being emotional about a guy like Hall being dealt but I didn't get the medias reaction to it. A lot of guys looked like maybe they shouldn't be getting paid to comment on the NHL.

:laugh: Yeah some of the media response was truly hilarious. There's no question that it was a risky decision, but often the media just likes to react to stuff instead endeavoring to think about what's happening.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
That guy is such a hack seriously. Even agreeing with a Leaf's fan he cause he hates Chiarelli so much :laugh:

Didn't surprise me either to see a leaf fan mention his darling team in the thread that doesn't involve the precious leafs in the first place as well.
Whether Chiarelli wins the award or not, you have to be an absolute fool to not give the man any credit for the Oilers success this year. I ate crow in regards to the Hall for Larsson deal and I have no issues admitting that. The fact that the main thread has people yammering about how McDavid's solely the reason for the Oilers success this year just makes me believe that 1) They don't watch Oiler games. 2) They just hate Chiarelli. 3) Option 1 and 2 are both correct. :laugh:

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Props to Chiarelli.

I just find the whole award a little tough to decipher. Is it the GM who had the best year, is it the best GM over a couple of years?

I mean I think if its just based on this year, Oilers should get it, they had the best record of the three teams and the biggest turn around.

I personally think Poile is the best GM out of the three. He has truly built a great team, but it has happened over several years, not just this year.

I like Dorion. Seems like a swell guy from his interviews and press conferences. He obviously did a good job picking the coaching staff, and should get full credit for that. Lots of GM's fail in that regard. But what else has he done this year?

Just a weird trophy imo.

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards
Didn't surprise me either to see a leaf fan mention his darling team in the thread that doesn't involve the precious leafs in the first place as well.
Whether Chiarelli wins the award or not, you have to be an absolute fool to not give the man any credit for the Oilers success this year. I ate crow in regards to the Hall for Larsson deal and I have no issues admitting that. The fact that the main thread has people yammering about how McDavid's solely the reason for the Oilers success this year just makes me believe that 1) They don't watch Oiler games. 2) They just hate Chiarelli. 3) Option 1 and 2 are both correct. :laugh:

Yeah that was hilarious. Still trying to figure out why he was bringing up JVR for Schenn as a comparable trade to the Maroon deal? :huh:

I think most of us including most reporters had to eat some form of crow over that trade. I wasn't too convinced at the time, and really couldn't be seeing as I hadn't watched Larsson more then a handful of times. And that's why Chia and his dirty muzzy are nominated for an award and not I.

The word Yammering also really sums up that thread on the mains today. :handclap:

Cawz

Sep 18, 2003
Oiler fan in Calgary
Visit site
No surprise. He's one of the top couple GMs in hockey, and did the best job this year. He should win

I'd assume everyone should have. Both are top 3 in their roles imo. Unless you mean back in the MacT/Eakins era

No, I dont think anyone a year ago after the Hall trade would have said that both would be nominated. I think many people saw them as an improvement, but I dont think anyone would have guessed that we'd be the only team to have both our GM and coach nominated. Someone would have been laughed at if they suggested it last summer.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Like almost every GM he will have his good streaks and his bad ones. But I am not sure how you can call it luck. He had a clear idea of what type of players he wanted and he got them. The results so far seems to suggest that his vision was correct.

I thought he made some savvy small pickups but one of the more praised ones is Russell and that seemed more out of desperation than anything. I'm as big a fan as you can get but it's a wait and see game to how he fills this last needed holes out. To beat a dead horse(for me), that Lucic contract scares the **** out of me,

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The mainboards are def a gong show. All the usual junk from people who hate EDM or PC because he was orig in Boston. :laugh: Congrats to him though. Win or lose, this is further proof that the team is headed in the right direction. :handclap:

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
No, I dont think anyone a year ago after the Hall trade would have said that both would be nominated. I think many people saw them as an improvement, but I dont think anyone would have guessed that we'd be the only team to have both our GM and coach nominated. Someone would have been laughed at if they suggested it last summer.

Well I've said it since they were hired

Bangers

May 31, 2006
If you base the award on the past two years, Chia is a slam dunk (Kass, Maroon, Talbot, McDavid, Sekera, Klef extension), but I'm not sure his work over the past year alone (Hall/Larsson, Lucic, Russell) is the best of any GM.

Credit where credit is due though, he (and McDavid) have turned the Oilers from a laughing stock to a contender.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
If you base the award on the past two years, Chia is a slam dunk (Kass, Maroon, Talbot, McDavid, Sekera, Klef extension), but I'm not sure his work over the past year alone (Hall/Larsson, Lucic, Russell) is the best of any GM.

Credit where credit is due though, he (and McDavid) have turned the Oilers from a laughing stock to a contender.

Hey, you forgot Desharnais! :D

Besides, if the award were for only this year, Chiarelli would be a shoe-in. That would mean that Dorian's main moves were the Brassard trade and getting Burrows. Poile's only major move in this time was trading for Subban, and quite frankly it was likely a trade driven by Montreal more than Nashville.

But imo it's not an award based only on one year. It's a general impression thing. Poile's been nominated a lot but never won, and it makes sense for him to win now. Over the years he's brought in Subban, Neal, Forsberg, and others. He's had to deal with Radulov, Suter leaving, and Weber seemingly wanting out with his offer sheet signing.

Dorian's made some good deals too, and is dealing with a challenging ownership issue, but imo he's Poile-lite for this award.

Chiarelli is worthy based on the last two seasons, but imo I could see it just not being his time yet. The team was helped tremendously by him, but imo it was one of the more flawed rosters in the playoffs still. Chiarelli needs at least one more strong off season and mid-season to really prove his mettle.

KingKhron

Sep 8, 2008
Like almost every GM he will have his good streaks and his bad ones. But I am not sure how you can call it luck. He had a clear idea of what type of players he wanted and he got them. The results so far seems to suggest that his vision was correct.

It's an odd one, for sure. Hindsight will change so many of these opinions. I think his best moves were last year, Larsson was bold and I like it but I hate the Lucic contract beyond words. The evolution this year were all seeds planted long ago primarily.

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Props to Chiarelli.

I just find the whole award a little tough to decipher. Is it the GM who had the best year, is it the best GM over a couple of years?

I mean I think if its just based on this year, Oilers should get it, they had the best record of the three teams and the biggest turn around.

I personally think Poile is the best GM out of the three. He has truly built a great team, but it has happened over several years, not just this year.

I like Dorion. Seems like a swell guy from his interviews and press conferences. He obviously did a good job picking the coaching staff, and should get full credit for that. Lots of GM's fail in that regard. But what else has he done this year?

Just a weird trophy imo.

I would think there are two profiles that should garner consideration:
1) A GM who over the course of several seasons had a major rebuild/rebuild on the fly and it finally showed results in year X... must have made at least a few big moves in year X.
2) A GM who made major shakeup/reinforcements in year X and those moves led to a big immediate improvement in the team. (Think Lowe in 2006 with Spacek, Samsonov, Roloson, Pronger, Peca, Tarnstrom)

King1s

Jan 27, 2015
Edmonton
Fully expect the #FireChiarelli crowd on here and on Twitter to keep their heads firmly buried in the sand.

Wonder if crow tastes good with plum sauce?

Anyway. Well deserved. He and McLellan should have a well earned weekend off in Vegas.

I was looking for my thread and found this gem here.

Reactions: StevenF1919

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Looks like they had the summer off in Vegas. What a shitty offseason by our illustrious manager. His find of the offseason, Jokinen already being benched and scratched, and Strome being torched by the fanbase.

A putrid offseason for Chia. Did nothing to improve the team or add to the team. We're playing at least half a dozen players over their level because adequate improvement was not found.

Looks like another year too of running with Talbot all the time now that he's going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad