Rumor: Chiarelli expects Lucic to be back - and better

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
What other choice does he have? He is not going to be easy to trade, especially since Lucic has a lot of control on where he could end up. He has to hope he comes to camp in a good frame of mind and really performs better, end of story.

McSuper

5-14-6-1
Jun 16, 2012
Halifax
I too think Lucic will bounce back . They problem I have is sooner or later he is going to be a real problem . It also was said he would bring back a positive return . So either Chia was lying about the positive return or he dumb enough not to take it . Heck a 7th rd pick is better then being in cap hell . Plus Lucic can still be a deterrent for other teams taking shots at younger guys just coming in to the league .

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
Last season was a complete outlier based on his entire career production wise. I would be surprised if he didn’t bounce back, he’s only 30 and doesn’t seem to have any major injury to recover from.

The biggest issue is where is he gonna play? I understand RNH is moving to the wing but are he and Draisaitl a good match? Is he gonna be a third line player? Usage will play the biggest part in if he returns to 45-50 point player.

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
Milan Lucic, hockey player. A man barely producing. Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology. We have the capability to build the world's first bionic hockey player. Milan Lucic will be that man. Better than he was before. Better, stronger, faster.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
You mean like Seguin . Oh wasn't Hamilton also included in that deal ? poof less then nothing as you are still retaining on Kessel
People are still sticking up for Chiarelli? Wow. And he still screwed up the Seguin trade btw. What do the Bruins have to show for it?

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Last season was a complete outlier based on his entire career production wise. I would be surprised if he didn’t bounce back, he’s only 30 and doesn’t seem to have any major injury to recover from.

The biggest issue is where is he gonna play? I understand RNH is moving to the wing but are he and Draisaitl a good match? Is he gonna be a third line player? Usage will play the biggest part in if he returns to 45-50 point player.
Draisaitl is the best match at centre as he doesn't have to rely on speed too be effective. The play doesn't have to move up ice too fast for Lucic to be a part of it.

McDavid and RNH had a very good season but couldn't get the best out of Lucic. He always seemed 1/2 a zone out of sync in both directions. Perhaps Drai can get him going... Lucic needs to be good offensively to be effective in this league. He's not mobile enough to be a good checker.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
You mean like Seguin . Oh wasn't Hamilton also included in that deal ? poof less then nothing as you are still retaining on Kessel
Technically Toronto never traded Seguin or Hamilton. They traded 1st round picks that became those players. Peter Chiarelli is the only person who can claim that he actually traded Seguin. Hell he also traded Hall and what other GM can claim he traded both the 1st and 2nd overall picks of the same draft?

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I think he goes full Mike Richards/Jonathan Cheechoo this year. It's pretty amazing what can happen to someone when they lose a step, especially when they didn't skate well to begin with.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
People are still sticking up for Chiarelli? Wow. And he still screwed up the Seguin trade btw. What do the Bruins have to show for it?

Well they did get Reilly Smith and three years of Loui Eriksson.

Not really Chiarelli's fault the Bruins traded Smith for peanuts and Eriksson left as a UFA.

His mistake was not getting better assets instead of Mark Fraser and Joe Morrow.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Well they did get Reilly Smith and three years of Loui Eriksson.

Not really Chiarelli's fault the Bruins traded Smith for peanuts and Eriksson left as a UFA.

His mistake was not getting better assets instead of Mark Fraser and Joe Morrow.
I know who he got in return. The point is as of today, the Bruins have nothing to show for the Seguin trade. That's unacceptable.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I know who he got in return. The point is as of today, the Bruins have nothing to show for the Seguin trade. That's unacceptable.

Once again, the fact that the Bruins have nothing left in their organization in terms of assets from the Seguin deal isn't entirely on Chiarelli.

I'd also toss in it wasn't Chiarelli's decision to non-tender Joe Morrow an offer last year making him a UFA.

If the Bruins had so chosen, they could still have Morrow, Smith, and Eriksson in the organization. It was the post-Chiarelli regime who made the calls to move out those 3 players.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
He was bad for half the year. Allegedly there was some off-ice stuff that helped sewer his season after Christmas.

He's overpaid but not a useless player. If the Oilers end up trading him this summer I think it will be after July 1 when his bonus is paid.

Reactions: Perfect_Drug

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad