Chia needs to make moves now.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Chia should be trying his best to get deals done sooner rather than later, this team although still having a good record, has not played that well overall lately losing games they should have won. I think they need another third line guy, but also would be nice to add some scoring in the top 6, drop someone else to the third line.

MAINE-IAC

Feb 12, 2003
southern maine
Chia should be trying his best to get deals done sooner rather than later, this team although still having a good record, has not played that well overall lately losing games they should have won. I think they need another third line guy, but also would be nice to add some scoring in the top 6, drop someone else to the third line.

Iam sure he is working the phones like every other gm right now. It's not like he can pick up the phone and pick who he wants to give and get.

Last edited:

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA
I love this stuff. Who says he isn't trying to make a deal right now??? There is a problem this year, there are about 27 teams who consider themselves, technically, in the playoff hunt. Twenty seven teams who want to add. That makes the market ridiculous. I'm sure Dale Tallon and Darcy Regier are looking for the best prospects on teams.

Do you want Chia to give up Ryan Spooner for Brendan Morrow? Because I'm sure that's what's being asked for right now. Do you want Chia to give up a 1st round pick for a 3rd line forward? Because, no doubt, that's the price right now.

Fair Warning

Nov 15, 2006
Grafton, MA
Easier said than done. Several teams still believe they're "in it" since they're only points out of that final playoff spot. And the teams who aren't "in it" are waiting until the trade deadline gets closer to increase bidding/value of their players.

I'm sure moves will be made, and they need to be made, but probably not for another week or two.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I agree that he needs to make a move, but I also think that it's going to be exceedingly difficult to do so.

You want to improve the team, but you also don't want to do anything rash that is going to come back to haunt you later.

Unfortunately, there are still a bunch of teams in the race for a playoff spot that nobody thought would even be close (see the Blue Jackets).

Let's face it, there are going to be very few players available, everyone is going to be vying for those same handful of guys, and the prices are going to be through the roof.

There are a lot of teams out there who probably feel like there is no reason to deal now. They can wait for the deadline when everyone is more desperate and drive up the price by having teams bid against one another.

As this season moves along, my expectations for what Chia is going to be able to get done at the deadline are becoming lower and lower. I think he will add some depth, but I think we are going to have to hinge our hopes on the Yeti, guys coming back from injury, perhaps some young players like Spooner, and this team finding another level heading into the post-season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

Yeah, especially when we see how many other deals are taking place, now is the time to pounce:shakehead

Sorry, what he NEEDS to do, and what he`s ABLE to do with too many teams and their respective GM`s believing they are in it, are two incredibly different things

You understand why there hasn`t been any move of any significance right now don`t you? Sorry if that sounds rude but man am I tired of some fans complete disregard for how this works. It isn`t merely a phone call then a fax to get a deal done, and how many GM`s out there offer Chia fair value for anything right now knowing Kelly is done for a long time, DK is on the limp, and now potentially Quaider out for a bit??? NOW is the time to wheel and deal?? Yeah, nothing like dealing from a position of weakness

22Brad Park

Nov 23, 2008
Calgary AB
Not sure what Chiarelli will be able to do but I sure hope he leaves Spooner up.That kid is real deal and last nite looked good.He moves puck way it should on powerplay.Quick.He made a really nice pass down low to Marchand but he was not ready to move quick.Bruins are use to moving puck slow on powerplay and its huge reason why it is poor.Teams have to much time to react.,Spooner was a breathe of fresh air watching him move that puck.Hope Soderberg comes too.That be two young guys with skill to help at least.I think one problem Bruins have internally is that the 1st line is not a `1st line either.Not enough true scoring on that line.Anyways I will be waiting and watching .Hope Chia can do something that helps but does not set team back to much.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
The market stinks this year... people gotta be prepared for nothing to happen.

From listening to Neely yesterday, it seems like they expect Soderberg to be their acquisition. He may be better than what's available and he wouldn't cost them anything besides money.

I can't wait for all the "Why'd we trade Thomas if we weren't going to use the cap space anyway!?" threads the day after the deadline.

I get that the team has an opportunity to win and they need to explore all scenarios in order to improve the team, but do you go and flush 1st round picks down the toilet?

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The time to have made a move was during the off season. Since he's stood pat the last two off seasons, and used the "cost to obtain was too high" line at last year's deadline, you can bank on the only move being Carl Soderberg (if he even comes over).

Bauer3000

Oct 19, 2006
The market stinks this year... people gotta be prepared for nothing to happen.

Which is exactly why something should have been done in the offseason. Relying on the trade deadline this year wasn't the best strategy

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
If Chia makes a move now it's because he has been working on it for a little while. He's not a knee-jerk type of guy. If memory serves me correctly, the Bruins went into a bit of a tailspin near the end of the 2011 season and the internet went crazy with "fire Julien" talk. Chia stuck to his guns knowing is job may have been on the line. The Bruins turned it around and won the cup. My point is that Chia makes calculated decisions based on the long term future of the club. The dealine is only a couple of weeks away. I think they'll exhaust all internal options before they get to the deadline. Then, he will make a move if he feels it's necessary. For the record I, along with me zero years of GM experience (nhl, fantasy, or otherwise) think it's necessary.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Realistically,

Philadelphia
Tampa Bay
Buffalo
Washington
Florida
Colorado
Calgary
Nashville
Edmonton

Should all be in sell mode. The three point games artificially keep some teams alive, but deep down, these teams have to know that they're not going anywhere. It's not just the points, but it comes down to having too many teams to climb over.

The East is basically down to nine teams for eight spots.

The West is sort of funny. You have Nashville who is falling apart. You have Columbus who is somehow still in the hunt, and you have Calgary who is usually stubborn about blowing it up and is only 4 out with a game in hand.

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site

I am sure he is doing everything he can to make a beneficial trade or two. It depends on what other teams want from the Bruins as much as what the Bruins want.

I am sure there are plenty of deals that would help the Bruins right now if they traded Spooner, Khokhlachev, Krug, and Subban, of course then when the Bruins have to dump salary next year we will see Chris Bourque for 82 games.

It has been said that the Bruins can have Bobby Ryan any time they want but the price is Dougie Hamilton+.

The point is that there are plenty of bad trades to be had, I don't want to see the Bruins do that.

I have faith that Chiarelli will do something when the deal is there to be had.

bruinmann77

Feb 27, 2002
bronx ny
Visit site
A you don't think PC is working the phones?
B You do realize he needs to have a dance Partner!
C He does not want to Give up the Farm for a Rental Either.
D WE need to be Patient and wait to see what PC can do.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I am sure he is doing everything he can to make a beneficial trade or two. It depends on what other teams want from the Bruins as much as what the Bruins want.

I am sure there are plenty of deals that would help the Bruins right now if they traded Spooner, Khokhlachev, Krug, and Subban, of course then when the Bruins have to dump salary next year we will see Chris Bourque for 82 games.

It has been said that the Bruins can have Bobby Ryan any time they want but the price is Dougie Hamilton+.

The point is that there are plenty of bad trades to be had, I don't want to see the Bruins do that.

I have faith that Chiarelli will do something when the deal is there to be had.

Good post, and lets face it, DK is out, Quaider potentially, both unknown as to when they will return, and Kelly done until much later in the year, that sound like a good position for a GM to be in to make a deal? Not to me, I know the pricetag goes up for me knowing that someone NEEDS something as opposed to someone who is merely in the mode of seeking depth

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
A you don't think PC is working the phones?
B You do realize he needs to have a dance Partner!
C He does not want to Give up the Farm for a Rental Either.
D WE need to be Patient and wait to see what PC can do.

U forgot the position of weakness he`s in right now. Completely healthy lineup, different story, all your points are bang on though

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
Any statement by PC about whether he considers (or doesn't) trading Spooner?
As much as I think this team needs some significant upgrades, I absolutely don't want him to overpay for some rentals.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad