Chia finding Loyalty appears to be a one-way street

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
And another.thing....looking for a chance......hi chance started exactly 24 hours after they were bounced last year. The clock has been ticking since then. Now here we are with the clock still ticking 10 months later.

The clock will be ticking everyday he sits behind the GM desk. Tomorrow morning onward.

So, at the risk of being insensitive, i dont want to hear ' chance'.

I sure as hell dont want to hear 'its too hard'.
I dont accept that from my kids. Im not accepting that from a GM. He reminds me of that singer in The Godfather that Don Corleone slaps in his whining face.

Sit with Cam. Make a plan. Heavy or skill. Go for it this year or reload for next year. I almost dont give a ****. But for Christ sakes get your thumb out of your ass, stop whining and manage.

I was going to make a separate post but I'll just give this one my approval and leave it at that.

EXACTLY where I stand.

Chia taking the time during press conferences to defend his ego, instead of actually acknowledging the reality of the team is what upsets me.

I lost it with him when he said the team no longer needed to make moves once Pastrnak came up months ago. Seems to have seriously given up on actually managing the team...i.e. doing his job.

David Krejci*

This isn't a one year problem. This is the culmination of years of horrific roster transactions and bad drafting.

Loyalty to Marchand, you say? Well Marchand hasn't done dog **** in the playoffs since 2011. He's hurt you more than he's helped you, with his idiotic, selfish, shortsighted antics and consistent bad penalties. 20 something playoff games and counting without a goal for this jackass. HE should've been the one traded.

I would've rather traded him than Boychuk. Boychuk had been our best playoff defenseman since he's been here. Chara and Seidenberg were amazing in 2011, but other than that, they've been exposed the last few years in the playoffs. Boychuk is an absolute animal in the playoffs, offensively and defensively. Easily one of our most clutch players. How many huge goals has he scored in the playoffs here? It seemed like every goal he scored either tied a game or gave the Bruins the lead.

His loyalty, and giving out NMCs to everyone who walks through the door, is part of the reason we're in this predicament in the first place.

FYI, we could've went into the year with Boychuk on the team. All this cap **** that people talk about, we were cap compliant with him on the roster. They absolutely did not have to trade him. Long term it might not be as bad as the Seguin deal, because the return on Seguin was so terrible, but short term, it's just as bad, if not worse.

We were set up to dominate this league for the foreseeable future. Now look where we are. And I don't even mean the standings. I don't care about the regular season and seeding, it's meaningless. I'm talking about the roster. I'm talking about how we're set up (or not set up) to contend. This team as currently constituted, is going absolutely nowhere in the playoffs, even in a weak East.

Last edited by a moderator:

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I find it ironic if the stories are true about Peter Chiarelli on the hot seat that the loyalty he has shown his players and coaches for past success is not being reciprocated.

Think back earlier this season when Marchand was in the throes of his annual 'eye of the storm' bad behavior and Peter came out and said he would not be traded. LOYALTY

Lucic a few weeks ago- same thing. LOYALTY

Claude last year- he'd be here as long as he was (maybe Cam took that as a threat) LOYALTY

even to the AHL, where boyhood friend Bruce Cassidy remains secure even if the Providence GM Don Sweeney is frustrated with some of things he does. LOYALTY

The lock ups, the sticking with players like Daniel Paille and Gregory Campell as they struggle. LOYALTY

Right or wrong his moves are certainly open to debate, his loyalty isn't.

This has got to wound this guy pretty good. You think he ever would have traded Johnny Boychuk if he knew he was on such thin ice? No bleeping way. The move sucked of course and I have the benefit of nearly 5 months to know it, but he certainly did it thinking he would have a chance to use those picks.

If you know the history of the Bruins management group you know that Peter came first- then Cam. But Cam jumped Peter to become the face of the franchise and align himself with Charlie Jacobs.

Jacobs was probably looking for a new best friend after his bud Jeff Gorton the acting GM before Peter was let go and replaced by Don Sweeney.

The TD Garden was dead back then and I got to go to functions and other events due to season ticket years, family associations, and friends working there among others and what I noticed on multiples occasions was Charlie and his wife hanging with Jeff Gorton and his spouse. You could see their friendship was very strong- so when Gorton eventually got released I remember thinking 'wow, that kinda sucks for Jacobs but I guess when your franchise is this far down and you hire a guy to clean it up, this can happen.'

Go back and watch the video of Cam being named President. Peter looked like he just ate a fried clam with red tide. He seemed stunned and not happy.

Neely 'a-pears' to have been sitting patiently as the Bruins have won a Cup, nearly another, a Presidents Trophy, and their 'off year' still turned in the leagues best goal differential a significant accomplishment. I true run of power.

Does Cam now see his chance? if he allows Chiarelli to get this back on track did Cam miss 'his chance'?

My guess is Neely has a bunch of reasons in his head- some we probably can guess, some we would never even imagine. But it looks to me like Cam sees what may be his one clear cut opportunity- and with the blessings of Charlie Jacobs and maybe even his input appears to be ready to stike while the iron is hot.

Lets face it, if Chiarelli gets a mulligan and it looks like he only wants one, and can fix this then Cam is back to where he was if that is in his mind not where he wants to be.

People can say Peter can always take his success and get another job, but this is his home. His son looks like he is going to his alma mater and he would be nearby; his daughter grew up here- this is her home and her gymnastics school.

This is pretty tough on him- and the thought of being fired.

One year ago today the Bruins were looking like they may be in their 3rd Cup Final in four years and today the guy is wondering why he isn't shown the same loyalty he has exhibited himself.

"3rd Cup Final in four years" based on what a good regular season ?? One of the biggest errors PC made was failing to recognize the significant difference between the regular season and the playoffs. We needed a defenceman last year and he was lulled by the regular season success and didn't get one. I know this regular season has been a tough one to swallow but the playoffs are different, I haven't given up hope yet that we can have a deep playoff run.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
I never looked at it that way.
Actually pretty classy guy.
I for 1 am still not giving up on the dream of the Stanley Cup.
Chia has time to get a player or 2 and our boys are built for the playoffs. When our squad is on there game there is NO TEAM they can't beat that go's for this year aswell.

Worried that if we lose him than who replaces him. I've been more happy than dissapointed with Chirelli so I don't think his job should be in limbo, there are much worse out there.....

wetcamelfood

Aug 19, 2007
And another.thing....looking for a chance......hi chance started exactly 24 hours after they were bounced last year. The clock has been ticking since then. Now here we are with the clock still ticking 10 months later.

The clock will be ticking everyday he sits behind the GM desk. Tomorrow morning onward.

So, at the risk of being insensitive, i dont want to hear ' chance'.

I sure as hell dont want to hear 'its too hard'.
I dont accept that from my kids. Im not accepting that from a GM. He reminds me of that singer in The Godfather that Don Corleone slaps in his whining face.

Sit with Cam. Make a plan. Heavy or skill. Go for it this year or reload for next year. I almost dont give a ****. But for Christ sakes get your thumb out of your ass, stop whining and manage.

This

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
Chiarelli is one of the top five GMs in the league, his track record speaks for itself. If they fire him this year it's simply Charlie flexing his new found muscle. If Charlie doesn't learn to step back and let people do their jobs without the threats of dismissal, the franchise is screwed for years to come anyway.

Chiarelli inherited a huge mess on arrival and has done enough in his tenure here to have the time to retool this thing. He changed the culture here from the black hole that it used to be but it seems like some fans are spoiled rotten with success and expect it every year. It's sports, you rise to the top, you erode then you retool.

Meusoc

Dec 15, 2014
Chiarelli is one of the top five GMs in the league, his track record speaks for itself. If they fire him this year it's simply Charlie flexing his new found muscle. If Charlie doesn't learn to step back and let people do their jobs without the threats of dismissal, the franchise is screwed for years to come anyway.

Chiarelli inherited a huge mess on arrival and has done enough in his tenure here to have the time to retool this thing. He changed the culture here from the black hole that it used to be but it seems like some fans are spoiled rotten with success and expect it every year. It's sports, you rise to the top, you erode then you retool.

The Seguin trade will have long lasting negatives effect to the Bruins for years to come. This one-sidded bonehead deal is unforgivable and should cost Chiarelli his job, as well as preventing him from every getting a top front office job anywhere else in the NHL. Yes, thats how bad is was...And If you can't see that and see the fact the Bruins are spiralling down with very little hope for the years to come, then you're just an moronic pink hat.

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston

Good post ! What the hell does "loyalty" even mean in the real world. There are 25 teams in the league that wish they where as bad an organization as the Bruins.

Been following this team for 45 years and believe me newbee's things are not that bad now or in the near future, Chia is one of the best GM's this team has EVER had period. I don't agree with many of his trades or choices but I will still take him over what we have been threw over the years.

Last edited by a moderator:

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Wally, Peter and Cam can not sit and have a plan because it looks more and more Chiarelli isn't Neely's choice but Cam would not argue with success.

Chiarelli probably will go after someone like Vermette who he now clearly needs and if he makes it to summer will try and resign him and let Soderberg go.

Vermette and Yandle may be Chiarelli's best chance but tough to work under someone who you know is not enthralled with you

Just feel it's going to end badly

Latrappe

If Cam allow it
Nov 3, 2006
While we were in agreement with Jacobs's speech regarding that the team was underperforming, we have to admit that his comments in the media were counter-productive. It probably gave the impression to the others GM that Chiarelli HAD to make a deal regardless of the overpayment. Well before #46 injury, the Bruins were trying to make a deal while being in a position of weakness. If you add Jacobs's comment and Krejci injury, the situation is damn sure. I'm still not sure why people were all giddy up about the LTIR cap space of Krejci since there's no player of his caliber on the market. We will use his cap space for what? Marginal upgrades? This is not what this team need. We need significant upgrade and please don't be fool by the win in Chicago. If it's true that the Bruins were running on all cylinders, it's very clear that Chicago look at Boston as an easy meal. The real determination who need to be made is this one: Do the Bruins have what it take to win more then 1 round. If not, the rest of the way is very easy. You sell everything you can on the 3rd/4th line and wait until the offseason to see which player of the core you want to move. If the FO think that this team can win more then 1 round, then you buy but.... I don't see how marginal upgrades will put the Bruins over the top.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
I will readily admit really liking Gorton. I got to meet him a few times and we are around the same age and I thought he was a good dude. Seemed real genuine.

Chia probably couldn't keep him because he wanted his own lieutenant.

If they do bring in a new GM, I want Gorton or Sweeney.

Your original post was well thought out and stated, that said, to me, it's time for Chiarelli to go. I wholeheartedly endorse Jeff Gorton, who I think would be a tremendous GM. Sweeney I am a bit worried about because of his close association with Chiarelli. If you dump Chiarelli now, which I would do, before the trade deadline you need someone who knows the organizational depth. Sweeney would make a good associate GM to Gorton, who would bring in a new voice and perspective to the organization.

It's a tough situation for a new GM, he would have to review the organization from top to bottom, make choices based on limited viewing, or what he has seen from New York, and make decisions that will effect the franchise for years.

In many ways it's a no win but the thought of Chiarelli being smug and once again pointing out condescendingly how he failed the trade deadline is too much to take. This is Chiarelli's mess, it is not a one time mulligan situation, it is the accumulation of years of poor cap management and trades. He should in no way be allowed to determine this teams future and needs to be replaced now.

Fierce1

Nov 13, 2006
Nova Scotia
The Seguin trade will have long lasting negatives effect to the Bruins for years to come. This one-sidded bonehead deal is unforgivable and should cost Chiarelli his job, as well as preventing him from every getting a top front office job anywhere else in the NHL. Yes, thats how bad is was...And If you can't see that and see the fact the Bruins are spiralling down with very little hope for the years to come, then you're just an moronic pink hat.
I wouldn't be too seduced by Seguin's regular season numbers in their free wheeling system. When Seguin put's the Dallas stars on his back and brings them deep into the playoffs I might think it was a one sided trade.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From Today's Globe:

For now, the cost is too expensive for general manager Peter Chiarelli.

Prices will decrease by Monday. There is no way Buffalo GM Tim Murray, for example, will go beyond the deadline without moving right wing Chris Stewart for futures. The right-shot Stewart would fall into the rental category. To this point, Murray has demanded a second-round pick and a prospect for Stewart.

“It’s high. It’s really high,†Chiarelli said of the overall rental market. “I don’t know if that’s the answer. It’s just really high.

“You have to look at all angles. What happens is that teams look at your fortunes and the price keeps going up and up and up. At some point, you have to pay a price. I understand that. I’ve done that before. I’ve shown that we do deals and we pay.â€

http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...ok-for-help/cfFagdLGsXckNjfDvG3XeJ/story.html

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Good post ! dumb thread ... What the hell does "loyalty" even mean in the real world. There are 25 teams in the league that wish they where as bad an organization as the Bruins.

Been following this team for 45 years and believe me newbee's things are not that bad now or in the near future, Chia is one of the best GM's this team has EVER had period. I don't agree with many of his trades or choices but I will still take him over what we have been threw over the years.

I do think there's a few different kinds of loyalty in business. Most of them are a positive in the long term success in business, but it can turn into cronyism which is bad.
In this case we have a GM that has been extremely successful relative to everyone else in the last 5 years. He had a pattern of mistakes with contracts and salary management which helped put things on the precipice of not making the playoffs. But if the guy has a plan right now on how to work with Cam and CJ to turn things around, I'd give him a little more time based on his track record and achievements for the organization. But ultimately, a change has to occur with him or his position soon given the turn over that has to happen in the off season

Kalus

Sep 27, 2003
Florida
I don't get this. Shouldn't we be appreciative of his restraint in not paying well over market value for marginal rentals. He is acting as a steward of the organization. He obviously knows he likely won't be the GM for the long term yet he is holding on to futures.

Do we really want a guy trading valuable picks and the best of the team's thin prospect pool for a short termer. Its a team with little chance of going all the way, regardless.

Giving up a good prospect and a 2nd for Stewart isn't going to get this team anywhere near the finals.

We all know what they need at fwd, defence, and backup goaltending. Think of how much future value they'd have to give up for that.

There are a lot of things to be dissastified about but the lack of acquiring rentals should not be one of them. Quite the cintrary.

For what its worth, take advantage of teams overpaying in the rental market and retool for next year. Maybe make the playoffs this year, maybe not.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
Dan.. love the OP.

I must be honest.. Bruins strife brings out some of the bests posts and posters.

I will disagree that loyalty is Chiarellis problem. I think it is his risk averse way of doing business. It may show as loyalty, but tough negotiations are well.. tough. Some mean words might be said and giving contracts to players a year before they are UFA's is easy and less confrontational.

This guys is OBSESSED with Ottawa and Calgary from the mid 2000's. But both of those teams didn' win! They came up short! yet he has done everything in his power to bring in the players in.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000432004.html

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Well, if we somehow do not make the play-offs this season, the past four years go like this..

first round exit
SCF loss
second round exit (up 3-2)
DNQ

not a sterling record by any means.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dan.. love the OP.

I must be honest.. Bruins strife brings out some of the bests posts and posters.

I will disagree that loyalty is Chiarellis problem. I think it is his risk averse way of doing business. It may show as loyalty, but tough negotiations are well.. tough. Some mean words might be said and giving contracts to players a year before they are UFA's is easy and less confrontational.

This guys is OBSESSED with Ottawa and Calgary from the mid 2000's. But both of those teams didn' win! They came up short! yet he has done everything in his power to bring in the players in.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/leagues/seasons/teams/0000432004.html

Thanks, I appreciate that coming from you- miss having a beer every now and then, really enjoyed hanging with you.

You are correct he was totally obsessed with Calgary and of course his former team and its players.

I believe in the end its as simple as this: Cam Neely (and with the support of Charlie Jacobs) is not a Chiarelli guy through and through and wants his own guy and put his own stamp on this.

Boston Bruno

Mostly not serious input..
Nov 2, 2002
Calgary
I don't get this. Shouldn't we be appreciative of his restraint in not paying well over market value for marginal rentals. He is acting as a steward of the organization. He obviously knows he likely won't be the GM for the long term yet he is holding on to futures.

Do we really want a guy trading valuable picks and the best of the team's thin prospect pool for a short termer. Its a team with little chance of going all the way, regardless.

Giving up a good prospect and a 2nd for Stewart isn't going to get this team anywhere near the finals.

We all know what they need at fwd, defence, and backup goaltending. Think of how much future value they'd have to give up for that.

There are a lot of things to be dissastified about but the lack of acquiring rentals should not be one of them. Quite the cintrary.

For what its worth, take advantage of teams overpaying in the rental market and retool for next year. Maybe make the playoffs this year, maybe not.

Totally agree 100 percent.
Why lose Campbell Paille for nothing, when you should be able to garner something - even a 4th could have value.
He is in a tough spot.
We want to make it, but do you want to make it just to get pounded? If we dump Campbell and Paille we probably will get pounded more so than if we keep em.
The balance he must strike is pretty tough.
If he gets a good offer for Eriksson and Soderberg, does he move em?
Really strange going forward. I do not envy him in this task.

OldScool

Nov 27, 2007
Loyalty can be looked at in many ways…loyal to the wrong players is my concern. Chia should have been loyal to the character guys that define the team - guys like Boychuk and Thornton. Thats where the loyalty should have been shown. The team lost too much heart and desire and their identity with a few stupid moves. They are now in no mans land of not heavy enough and not skilled enough and without enough heart. Not a good mix.

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
What, though, can he really do now? He may have come to the conclusion that he's made one too many moves already. He also may have come to the conclusion, as I have, that it'd be better to sell this year and rebuild. If that were the case, and I hope it is, then I would expect him to not have made any moves as of yet.

Chia certainly fkkd up the Seguin trade. Just plain stupid. Didn't need to make that trade at all. Boychuk, too; just gave him away, also.

He did bring us a Cup, and he and Cam have done quite a bit to professionalize a Club that had been too incestuous and provincial after too many years of benign neglect. However, since the Cup, it seems that he really stopped doing his due diligence and lost the sharpness that he had when he first took the helm. It could be that he assumed that a Cup win would bring 2-3 more years of residual success.

Bottom line, he should get one more year to revamp the lineup, particularly if Neely has unclean hands. The team is already in a tailspin and a tough cap spot. Chia owes it to the fans and the club to fix the mess and we owe him one more, but only one more, opportunity to do it.

Oh I agree it's now too late. At this point he should sell. I am rock solid certain of this. I'm almost equally convinced that he won't though, which will be the final straw with him for me.

The issue I take with him, one of them, is that he never does anything to tweak his lineup during the season. He sits back and lets them go through rough patches and he never changes the dynamic. He treats his hockey team like an NFL team. The roster is basically set, barring injuries (which lead to inadequate AHL callups), until the deadline.

And make no mistake...he's the best GM in my Bruins experience just simply based on the 3-4 year run he had. But since he won that Cup he's done a lousy job. He got complacent, and he fostered an environment for his team to get complacent. I don't want to pay him based on prior work any more than I want him paying players based on prior work. He hasn't shown he can adapt or plan ahead in years now...get someone who can.

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
Well, if we somehow do not make the play-offs this season, the past four years go like this..

first round exit
SCF loss
second round exit (up 3-2)
DNQ

not a sterling record by any means.

You're not including the 2011 Stanley Cup but adding an unknown for this year? Umm...

2011- SC champs
2012- 1st rd exit
2013- SC finalist
2014- 2nd rd exit (Pres Cup)
2015- ???

Looks pretty good to me. :)

Iceage

Jun 26, 2013
I wouldn't be too seduced by Seguin's regular season numbers in their free wheeling system. When Seguin put's the Dallas stars on his back and brings them deep into the playoffs I might think it was a one sided trade.

Well said.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
You're not including the 2011 Stanley Cup but adding an unknown for this year? Umm...

2011- SC champs
2012- 1st rd exit
2013- SC finalist
2014- 2nd rd exit (Pres Cup)
2015- ???

Looks pretty good to me. :)

I know lol. Take out the best season (Stanley), don't mention best regular season team last year, and play down the final vs Chicago. Why go to all these lengths to put down this team's record the past 5 years. This has been a great 5 years to be a Bruin's fan.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad