Chia finding Loyalty appears to be a one-way street

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I find it ironic if the stories are true about Peter Chiarelli on the hot seat that the loyalty he has shown his players and coaches for past success is not being reciprocated.

Think back earlier this season when Marchand was in the throes of his annual 'eye of the storm' bad behavior and Peter came out and said he would not be traded. LOYALTY

Lucic a few weeks ago- same thing. LOYALTY

Claude last year- he'd be here as long as he was (maybe Cam took that as a threat) LOYALTY

even to the AHL, where boyhood friend Bruce Cassidy remains secure even if the Providence GM Don Sweeney is frustrated with some of things he does. LOYALTY

The lock ups, the sticking with players like Daniel Paille and Gregory Campell as they struggle. LOYALTY

Right or wrong his moves are certainly open to debate, his loyalty isn't.

This has got to wound this guy pretty good. You think he ever would have traded Johnny Boychuk if he knew he was on such thin ice? No bleeping way. The move sucked of course and I have the benefit of nearly 5 months to know it, but he certainly did it thinking he would have a chance to use those picks.

If you know the history of the Bruins management group you know that Peter came first- then Cam. But Cam jumped Peter to become the face of the franchise and align himself with Charlie Jacobs.

Jacobs was probably looking for a new best friend after his bud Jeff Gorton the acting GM before Peter was let go and replaced by Don Sweeney.

The TD Garden was dead back then and I got to go to functions and other events due to season ticket years, family associations, and friends working there among others and what I noticed on multiples occasions was Charlie and his wife hanging with Jeff Gorton and his spouse. You could see their friendship was very strong- so when Gorton eventually got released I remember thinking 'wow, that kinda sucks for Jacobs but I guess when your franchise is this far down and you hire a guy to clean it up, this can happen.'

Go back and watch the video of Cam being named President. Peter looked like he just ate a fried clam with red tide. He seemed stunned and not happy.

Neely 'a-pears' to have been sitting patiently as the Bruins have won a Cup, nearly another, a Presidents Trophy, and their 'off year' still turned in the leagues best goal differential a significant accomplishment. I true run of power.

Does Cam now see his chance? if he allows Chiarelli to get this back on track did Cam miss 'his chance'?

My guess is Neely has a bunch of reasons in his head- some we probably can guess, some we would never even imagine. But it looks to me like Cam sees what may be his one clear cut opportunity- and with the blessings of Charlie Jacobs and maybe even his input appears to be ready to stike while the iron is hot.

Lets face it, if Chiarelli gets a mulligan and it looks like he only wants one, and can fix this then Cam is back to where he was if that is in his mind not where he wants to be.

People can say Peter can always take his success and get another job, but this is his home. His son looks like he is going to his alma mater and he would be nearby; his daughter grew up here- this is her home and her gymnastics school.

This is pretty tough on him- and the thought of being fired.

One year ago today the Bruins were looking like they may be in their 3rd Cup Final in four years and today the guy is wondering why he isn't shown the same loyalty he has exhibited himself.

Last edited:

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Kelly Chase said it best on NHL Tonight. He ripped into Charlie Jacobs for his comments.

There are only two other franchises that would trade places with the B's over the past 5 or so seasons.

He has earned the chance to be given the benefit of the doubt.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
Drafting Teddy Donato's kid and letting Ray's kid play here fits the criteria also.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
Great OP but where was this "loyalty" when Gorton was fired by Mr. Loyalty as a reward for doing a great job?

I suspect Chia felt threatened by him --as he should-- and skidded his competition as quick as he could and dumped the body in the ditch. Loyalty indeed.

dtam83

Jun 8, 2011
Boston
you guys do realize that this is not just a 1-year thing but his problems are more long term. the thing you can kill PC the most for is his cap management and that's a long term thing. also the trade of seguin had a terrible, terrible return. the boychuk trade also had a terrible return

rainone99

Dec 21, 2010
Montreal
So 29 teams run their teams like a business and we get the one guy who runs his team like his wife? You should never mix your personal life with business. The team (the 20 players) need to feel like a family, you Peter should not include yourself in that Family.

Chara should have been traded last year for the betterment of this team.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Loyalty my ass.

Loyalty is another fan thing romanticized about. Its a business. Do your job, get your check. Everybody is even for that snapshot in time. Dont do your job and theres plenty of others waiting in line for it. Its only a matter of when, for anybody.

Highway Man

Oct 8, 2014
Kelly Campbell Paille.... Two compliance buyouts not used. There's a fine line between loyalty & stupidity

What The Puck

Future GM
Feb 12, 2014
Northeast
That's probably why I haven't been hired. Interesting observations. Looking at the very personal connections between players and among management, it's not hard to see part of the problem here.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Great OP but where was this "loyalty" when Gorton was fired by Mr. Loyalty as a reward for doing a great job?

I suspect Chia felt threatened by him --as he should-- and skidded his competition as quick as he could and dumped the body in the ditch. Loyalty indeed.

I will readily admit really liking Gorton. I got to meet him a few times and we are around the same age and I thought he was a good dude. Seemed real genuine.

Chia probably couldn't keep him because he wanted his own lieutenant.

If they do bring in a new GM, I want Gorton or Sweeney.

BruinInPhilly

Nov 12, 2005
Philly, PA
Drafting Teddy Donato's kid and letting Ray's kid play here fits the criteria also.

I don't get the hate with the Donato pick? It wasn't like they reached with the pick or anything. He was picked about where he was projected and he hasn't even gotten to college yet. I could understand if he was picked a few years ago and hadn't shown anything, but this reminds me of the posters claiming Malcolm Subban is a bust because of 1 bad game.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I don't get the hate with the Donato pick? It wasn't like they reached with the pick or anything. He was picked about where he was projected and he hasn't even gotten to college yet. I could understand if he was picked a few years ago and hadn't shown anything, but this reminds me of the posters claiming Malcolm Subban is a bust because of 1 bad game.

Not that I have a huge problem with it, but he won't be ready for like 7-8 years, maybe longer. He could have drafted something a bit closer to NHL ready. He probably would have made it to the 3rd round, don't act like he wasn't drafted mainly because he was Donato's son.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
:laugh: What happen to the Hitler comment? Oh well. Excellent OP by the way. Interesting stuff. I hope they give Peter a chance, it is deserved. I don't know but I have a feeling this team can win some games especially when there wont be any expectations coming into the playoffs.

As long as we don't play the habs I guess. Can't believe that's needs to be said tho. Honestly if we play them in the playoffs and we lose and lose bad than I can care less what upper management does! Fire thm all!

bp13

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
Loyalty my ass.

Loyalty is another fan thing romanticized about. Its a business. Do your job, get your check. Everybody is even for that snapshot in time. Dont do your job and theres plenty of others waiting in line for it. Its only a matter of when, for anybody.

Exactly where I stand.

And I'd argue PCs "loyalty" is what put him in this mess. NMC's, big contracts for depth players, retaining an expansive "core", refusing to make waves in the room with trades, etc.. He did a great job building a Cup team and the core of that roster has kept them competitive, but he hasn't been willing to identify where he should cut in order to fit more talent on the edges. His generous contracts and clauses have tied his hands, and the near future isn't very bright unless he makes some hard decisions. He has not shown any willingness to move some of his guys, and if he doesn't, this team will get worse.

BklyNBruiN

May 7, 2009
www.amishrakefight.org
Loyalty my ass.

Agreed. Sounds good tho like you said sounds romantic. I would imagine the business there in is winning. At least I hope that's what its about.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Great OP.
I have often wondered what really goes on in the heads of Chia and Neely. Every time I see these guys together the body language looks all wrong to me. Maybe I'm reading to much into it and it's not much to base it on but it does make me wonder.

As far as players are concerned I would feel betrayed if I was him. He has given almost everyone, even the forth liners, generous contracts to his own detriment . You would think that when Jacobs started making his threats the boys would have kicked into another gear but what we saw was quite the opposite.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
And another.thing....looking for a chance......hi chance started exactly 24 hours after they were bounced last year. The clock has been ticking since then. Now here we are with the clock still ticking 10 months later.

The clock will be ticking everyday he sits behind the GM desk. Tomorrow morning onward.

So, at the risk of being insensitive, i dont want to hear ' chance'.

I sure as hell dont want to hear 'its too hard'.
I dont accept that from my kids. Im not accepting that from a GM. He reminds me of that singer in The Godfather that Don Corleone slaps in his whining face.

Sit with Cam. Make a plan. Heavy or skill. Go for it this year or reload for next year. I almost dont give a ****. But for Christ sakes get your thumb out of your ass, stop whining and manage.

Saxon Eric

Dec 18, 2005
Kelly Chase said it best on NHL Tonight. He ripped into Charlie Jacobs for his comments.

There are only two other franchises that would trade places with the B's over the past 5 or so seasons.

He has earned the chance to be given the benefit of the doubt.
Disagree, Charlie Jacobs said it best

DK46

Jun 21, 2012
Hanwell, NB
Nice write up and an interesting thoughts of the drama going on in the front office. I can't imagine the pressure on Chiarelli with Neely, The Jacobs, the Fans and the players all watching and waiting for his next move. The GM's around the NHL are certainly not going to make it easy for him. I almost feel he is doomed regardless of what he does or doesn't do.

As much as I agree that loyalty is something that should be considered there are always other factors at play and a big one is his current performance.

Since the 2013 cup run he has shown no loyalty to a warrior like Boychuk and traded him for picks and didn't address other areas in that deal.

Showed no loyalty to Seguin who was the teams leading scorer in 2011-12 at 20 years old. Showed no loyalty in making him a better pro and working through any off ice issues. The result, he traded him for fillers and botched the deal. But it would seem Neely and Bradley were on board which is where I tend to lean to your corner on this one.

One might argue his loyalty is his downfall. The NMC's & NTC's handed out to players and the loyalty in going back to the well with the same players like Campbell, Paille and Kelly year after year.

I don't know what the right answer is and I completely see where you are coming from but loyalty doesn't erase mistakes and make them go away.

The front office must be asking itself "can Chiarelli get things back on track?" If they have doubts then the future is not looking good.

I'm happy I am not the one making the decision. I will admit I'm a bit of a fence sitter on this one and have gone back and forth. But I am not too confident he can pull off the right moves...what those are I don't know. I have my ideas but like everyone else here I am sitting in my armchair.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad