Chia finding Loyalty appears to be a one-way street

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Despite the poor drafting record and tendency to hand out too many NTCs, I still think Chia is one of the best in the business. How many other current GMs have built a winner without relying on the bottoming-out method (and have to deal with a career-ending injury to the driving force of the offense at the same time)? Holland and Lamoriello have, but they either won their Cup/s before the salary cap, or had the core part of their roster constructed before the cap came into play.

We've also seen very reasonable contracts given out to players as well. What has the biggest albatross been, Kelly at $3 million for 4 years? Relative to other teams, the Bruins have done a very good job at avoiding bad contracts, especially considering they've retained so much of the talent that helped them win their Cup.

That Iginla contract just had a big-time snowball effect on this team, and while Chia is to blame for that by getting a bit too impatient for a shot at the Cup in 2013/14, he should still be given a chance to work his way out of this.

This season is playing out extremely similar to 2009/10 so far. There were calls for change then (more so for Julien, but both had their heads on the chopping block), and how would that have worked out? Who knows, but I wouldn't be willing to risk giving up a Cup to find out. I'm not saying the same thing is going to happen as it did then, but Chia has more than proven himself as a great GM and should get another shot next year regardless of how this season plays out.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
You're not including the 2011 Stanley Cup but adding an unknown for this year? Umm...

2011- SC champs
2012- 1st rd exit
2013- SC finalist
2014- 2nd rd exit (Pres Cup)
2015- ???

Looks pretty good to me. :)

Not to mention a Stanley Cup Final appearance isn't exactly something to gloss over. Only 9 teams have made it there in the last 7 seasons.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I find it ironic if the stories are true about Peter Chiarelli on the hot seat that the loyalty he has shown his players and coaches for past success is not being reciprocated.

Think back earlier this season when Marchand was in the throes of his annual 'eye of the storm' bad behavior and Peter came out and said he would not be traded. LOYALTY

Lucic a few weeks ago- same thing. LOYALTY

Claude last year- he'd be here as long as he was (maybe Cam took that as a threat) LOYALTY

even to the AHL, where boyhood friend Bruce Cassidy remains secure even if the Providence GM Don Sweeney is frustrated with some of things he does. LOYALTY

The lock ups, the sticking with players like Daniel Paille and Gregory Campell as they struggle. LOYALTY

Right or wrong his moves are certainly open to debate, his loyalty isn't.

This has got to wound this guy pretty good. You think he ever would have traded Johnny Boychuk if he knew he was on such thin ice? No bleeping way. The move sucked of course and I have the benefit of nearly 5 months to know it, but he certainly did it thinking he would have a chance to use those picks.

If you know the history of the Bruins management group you know that Peter came first- then Cam. But Cam jumped Peter to become the face of the franchise and align himself with Charlie Jacobs.

Jacobs was probably looking for a new best friend after his bud Jeff Gorton the acting GM before Peter was let go and replaced by Don Sweeney.

The TD Garden was dead back then and I got to go to functions and other events due to season ticket years, family associations, and friends working there among others and what I noticed on multiples occasions was Charlie and his wife hanging with Jeff Gorton and his spouse. You could see their friendship was very strong- so when Gorton eventually got released I remember thinking 'wow, that kinda sucks for Jacobs but I guess when your franchise is this far down and you hire a guy to clean it up, this can happen.'

Go back and watch the video of Cam being named President. Peter looked like he just ate a fried clam with red tide. He seemed stunned and not happy.

Neely 'a-pears' to have been sitting patiently as the Bruins have won a Cup, nearly another, a Presidents Trophy, and their 'off year' still turned in the leagues best goal differential a significant accomplishment. I true run of power.

Does Cam now see his chance? if he allows Chiarelli to get this back on track did Cam miss 'his chance'?

My guess is Neely has a bunch of reasons in his head- some we probably can guess, some we would never even imagine. But it looks to me like Cam sees what may be his one clear cut opportunity- and with the blessings of Charlie Jacobs and maybe even his input appears to be ready to stike while the iron is hot.

Lets face it, if Chiarelli gets a mulligan and it looks like he only wants one, and can fix this then Cam is back to where he was if that is in his mind not where he wants to be.

People can say Peter can always take his success and get another job, but this is his home. His son looks like he is going to his alma mater and he would be nearby; his daughter grew up here- this is her home and her gymnastics school.

This is pretty tough on him- and the thought of being fired.

One year ago today the Bruins were looking like they may be in their 3rd Cup Final in four years and today the guy is wondering why he isn't shown the same loyalty he has exhibited himself.

Reads like an episode of Scandal lol. Neely giving Chia enough rope to hang himself? Not sure I believe all this speculation, but who knows, maybe Neely does have a hint of the Machiavellian Prince in him. Never imagined Neely in that light though. I'd hate to think Neely stood by watching this team unravel so that his boy Sweeney can be his next GM :help:

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)
Kelly Chase said it best on NHL Tonight. He ripped into Charlie Jacobs for his comments.

There are only two other franchises that would trade places with the B's over the past 5 or so seasons.

He has earned the chance to be given the benefit of the doubt.

I bolded the key statement for me.

I doubt that Kelly Chase has watched the B's play more than 5 times this year, otherwise he would be aware that the B's have struggled for much of the season. The reasons for this are injury, lack of a Top 6 RW, lack of a Top 4 D, and lack of any energy/production from the 4th line. Three of those four issues can be linked back to Chia.

One year indeed.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I bolded the key statement for me.

I doubt that Kelly Chase has watched the B's play more than 5 times this year, otherwise he would be aware that the B's have struggled for much of the season. The reasons for this are injury, lack of a Top 6 RW, lack of a Top 4 D, and lack of any energy/production from the 4th line. Three of those four issues can be linked back to Chia.

One year indeed.

I miss Kathryn Tappin saying 'Chaser'

TCDaniels

Legen... Wait for it
Feb 12, 2003
Maine
And another.thing....looking for a chance......hi chance started exactly 24 hours after they were bounced last year. The clock has been ticking since then. Now here we are with the clock still ticking 10 months later.

The clock will be ticking everyday he sits behind the GM desk. Tomorrow morning onward.

So, at the risk of being insensitive, i dont want to hear ' chance'.

I sure as hell dont want to hear 'its too hard'.
I dont accept that from my kids. Im not accepting that from a GM. He reminds me of that singer in The Godfather that Don Corleone slaps in his whining face.

Sit with Cam. Make a plan. Heavy or skill. Go for it this year or reload for next year. I almost dont give a ****. But for Christ sakes get your thumb out of your ass, stop whining and manage.

Haven't read the whole thread yet, but this part stuck out to me... I think a lot of people are in the same boat as us, Wally:

It doesn't matter to me one iota whether we "go for it" this year, or blow it up, rest injured guys, trade deadwood, etc.

What I want is a PLAN. I want to know that our once-beloved GM isn't just taking shots in the dark hoping that they will fix a sinking ship.

I would think that that PLAN would involve moving contracts (one way or another, now, at the TDL, or at the draft...) that don't fit the PLAN... and bringing in or re-signing contracts that DO.

I will happily watch the Bruins miss the playoffs this year if it's for the long-term benefit, BUT I want to see SOMETHING that indicates that there's a REASON behind the moves!

Elmer

Dec 18, 2014
Boston
The Seguin trade will have long lasting negatives effect to the Bruins for years to come. This one-sidded bonehead deal is unforgivable and should cost Chiarelli his job, as well as preventing him from every getting a top front office job anywhere else in the NHL. Yes, thats how bad is was...And If you can't see that and see the fact the Bruins are spiralling down with very little hope for the years to come, then you're just an moronic pink hat.

Don't hold back Meusoc, tell us how you really feel. It really isn't as bad as you say, it's actually worse. Getting a bunch of ponies for Seguin was painful enough but watching Bruins brass bad mouthing the player as they shipped him out of town was far worse. Plenty of players have acted up. And by the way what was Captain Chara doing while Seguin was burning down the house, hiking up Kilimanjaro?

Does anyone think that a potential player with a no-trade clause would waive it to come here? I don't and perhaps that is one of the reasons that Chia can't get a deal done. Free agents are probably going to pass as well. The one positive with the injuries is that Clode is forced to play the kids.

[/vent off]

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
The Seguin trade will have long lasting negatives effect to the Bruins for years to come. This one-sidded bonehead deal is unforgivable and should cost Chiarelli his job, as well as preventing him from every getting a top front office job anywhere else in the NHL. Yes, thats how bad is was...And If you can't see that and see the fact the Bruins are spiralling down with very little hope for the years to come, then you're just an moronic pink hat.

It is remarks like this that help clarify the "Missing Posters" thread.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
I don't get this. Shouldn't we be appreciative of his restraint in not paying well over market value for marginal rentals. He is acting as a steward of the organization. He obviously knows he likely won't be the GM for the long term yet he is holding on to futures.

Do we really want a guy trading valuable picks and the best of the team's thin prospect pool for a short termer. Its a team with little chance of going all the way, regardless.

Giving up a good prospect and a 2nd for Stewart isn't going to get this team anywhere near the finals.

We all know what they need at fwd, defence, and backup goaltending. Think of how much future value they'd have to give up for that.

There are a lot of things to be dissastified about but the lack of acquiring rentals should not be one of them. Quite the cintrary.

For what its worth, take advantage of teams overpaying in the rental market and retool for next year. Maybe make the playoffs this year, maybe not.

I don't see it as that I see it as a GM who is terrified to make any deal that the public doesn't deem him the "winner" in. I think you are not assessing his stewardship correctly and are looking at a guy who has lost a lot of players in deals because of a refusal to cough up a mid round pick to a rival team who doesn't want to trade with us. (Edler.)

F-ing up the Boychuk trade means he can't trade 3 dimes for a quarter anymore it has to be a dime and 3 nickles or 2 dimes and a nickle. He knows he is in a position of weakness and any chance of getting that quarter for 2 dimes isn't happening right now so since he can't win a deal and get good value and rip off another GM...and since he won't overpay because it would bruise his ego....well we get what we are getting now JACK ****. Getting hosed on Segs and JB means he can't lose a deal and thus he'll sit on his hands if he doesn't get value and improve his stock as a GM.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
No one owes him anything... Its a business. You could point out several instances when Chia hasn't been loyal as well.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
And throw in the complete choke jobs in 2009 and 2010 as well.

Exactly. It's amazing how one cup has gotten this guy so much leeway. Aside from the cup win, he's been mediocre at best and is easily to blame for the **** show we get to call your 2014-2015 Boston Bruins.

Mathews28

Nov 24, 2008
Connecticut
We've also seen very reasonable contracts given out to players as well. What has the biggest albatross been, Kelly at $3 million for 4 years? Relative to other teams, the Bruins have done a very good job at avoiding bad contracts, especially considering they've retained so much of the talent that helped them win their Cup.

And the lack of production or value is on Kelly himself. Given what Kelly brought to the table in terms of professionalism, effort, a defensively responsible game, being a good second face-off man, etc. he was worth that contract. Both he and Peverly were key acquisitions and helped in that Cup run.

What has transpired since is on Kelly, not the Front Office. And for all the Kelly bashing, really, how much is he overpaid? $500k? He's a piece of the overall problem, but certainly not THE problem.

Morris Wanchuk

Feb 10, 2006
War Memorial Arena
And the lack of production or value is on Kelly himself. Given what Kelly brought to the table in terms of professionalism, effort, a defensively responsible game, being a good second face-off man, etc. he was worth that contract. Both he and Peverly were key acquisitions and helped in that Cup run.

What has transpired since is on Kelly, not the Front Office. And for all the Kelly bashing, really, how much is he overpaid? $500k? He's a piece of the overall problem, but certainly not THE problem.

The need to pay Peverly and Kelly to those inflated deals was a direct correlation to crap drafting. No ELC's to plug into the line so you had 7mil in Peverly/Kelly and the bum Pouliot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad