Confirmed Trade: [CHI/VAN] Adam Gaudette for Matthew Highmore

Son of Petter

Who wants to walk with Elias?
Jun 5, 2013
Kanata
Somebody told Benning that once and he stopped listening to everything after. How Dim Jim still has a job is beyond me, guy has zero idea how to assemble an nhl roster.
Highmore is so fast.

And there ends his list of NHL level attributes.

Hawkey

Sep 15, 2005
Highmore has a high motor. However he is not Motte v2.0, he doesn’t have the hands of Motte. In the end this is likely a nothing deal but at least Gaudette may have some untapped potential.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
gaudette has some skill and a ton of try, but it is all focused on offence. in a bygone era he would have been given rope to go try get his 30 goals then be hopefully taught defence, but he has not had that opportunity with the canucks. if anything, they've tried too hard to shape him into a responsible third line centre he is temperamentally not suited to be. that might be just just trying to get him focused enough on defence to be a modern era nhl player, but you got the feeling he was always in the dog house and was a player that management was forcing the coach to dress many nights.

he never earned or was given much ice time with the canucks. to a remarkable degree for a guy ostensibly dressing as a 3rd line centre he has been a sub 12 minute player regularly benched later in games that were even remotely close.

he has also been kept at centre rather than given more ice time as a winger. it seems the canucks did not think he could be a top 6 winger.

bottom line is that, except perhaps for body mass and definitely defence, he's an nhl player in all respects. he has enough shot, skating, motor and offensive iq. he sort of reminds me of certain russian skill guys that simply will not buy into the nhl system. maybe a different coach will coax it out of him.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
The Canucks f***ed up with Gaudette so many times. He wasn't cutting it out defensively as a center and should've been positioned in the top 6 as a winger to make use of his skillset. Would've increased his value but nah, Jimbo and co don't know anything about that.
This is an insane take.

What coach in his right mind elevates someone who doesn't deserve to be elevated is not producing and has been awful in his own end to inflate his stats for some potential trade that may or may not materialize.

Gaudette absolutely sucked in last years playoffs. Needed to be replaced by Sutter and then proceeded to produce nothing and then carried it over to a terrible off season and season this year. He's been getting bumped off pucks with ease all year and skates in mud and has no clue in his own end.

I would have liked for them to be patient and give him another chance because he has skill and wicked shot and im not thrilled with the return but blaming others for him not succeeding is insane. They have been starving for secondary scoring and he's failed miserably

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
The Canucks failed in Gaudette's development. They wanted to rush him to the NHL so quickly to make them look good, young, and different that they didn't really develop him.

It was obvious he wasn't a C very early.

I didn't think much of him, just a bit too slow, a bit too weak to be a top 9 player on a contender, but the Canucks handled his development poorly.

Some folks here absolutely never want to hold the organization to account for anything and you can see that with some of the Gaudette blame. Equally as hilarious, the 3 points Pearson has on Gaudette this season was a celebrated extension. To be fair both sucked since Feb 2020 and I was hoping neither would be Canucks for 21/22.....too bad they kept the more expensive one.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Yes they should have waited till he was 25 to call him up, because that's how it usually goes for top6 forwards. ^^^^

Weak attempt at distracting from Gaudette's failure to grab a huge opportunity. Yes the coaches and management failed him giving him PP2 and a regular shift for 4 goals in his last 43 games while being the worst defensive forward we had??? Nope

He needed to get faster and stronger and be able to defend. He didn't progress at any of those things and his contributions cratered. That's on him you don't get 3yrs to find a role on many teams unless you start really young and they can afford to be patient

Unless something changed for Gaudette between now and the end of the season he was likely not retained anyway. Much better players are not every year as teams adjust for prospects or better fits. He simply gets bumped off pucks and outskated by bigger faster athletes. It's a shame because he does have skill but he's in that Goldobin Gagner Spooner type position.

In saying that. Good move for Chicago. Undeniably he has talent and plays with energy and flair. Had an intestinal issue that he says prevented his gaining weight last year. If he matures defensively and gains some serious strength and lbs you may get some utility as a 2/3 line scorer. Worth a shot and a good gamble that cost nothing as Highmore's skill is 4th line tops from what i've seen of him. Nucks are making room for Podkolzin and will try to add some speed and size in the middle six and maybe a shot for Lind and MacEwen to show something. We need speed and size around our core in a big way

Hope it works out for him in Chicago seems like the perfect opportunity. Looked like he could become a version of Tyler Bozak for a bit but he peaked and then crashed hard and was getting murdered in his own end. Should be an interesting project loved his enthusiasm and his shot is a rifle.

Reactions: notsocommonsense

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
Highmore is so fast.

And there ends his list of NHL level attributes.
His defensive play is better than Gaudette though. Gaudette just doesn't fit anywhere on the canucks lineup if he is not playing top 6 and Podkolzin will be signing plus lind will make the team. Time to move on from Gaudette but I wished we could have got a bit more. Still Highmore can be useful as a 4th liner.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
horrible trade for Vancouver. I am thinking there is something behind the scenes that we are not aware of. Sure he doesn't fit anywhere, so what? does Highmore fit anywhere? how does he even fit anywhere if he can't even make the NHL? Gaudette has one bad year and do we bail on our kids? He was on a 48 point pace as a 4th line player last year.

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
The Canucks failed in Gaudette's development. They wanted to rush him to the NHL so quickly to make them look good, young, and different that they didn't really develop him.

It was obvious he wasn't a C very early.

I didn't think much of him, just a bit too slow, a bit too weak to be a top 9 player on a contender, but the Canucks handled his development poorly.

Some folks here absolutely never want to hold the organization to account for anything and you can see that with some of the Gaudette blame. Equally as hilarious, the 3 points Pearson has on Gaudette this season was a celebrated extension. To be fair both sucked since Feb 2020 and I was hoping neither would be Canucks for 21/22.....too bad they kept the more expensive one.
Dude just give it up. how long do they need to baby Gaudette til he becomes some tweener 2nd line player? We need cap space and he was going to be an RFA and probably taken by Seattle anyways. Plus we got Podkolzin who has marinated in KHL for 2 years. Whats your take on Podkolzin? Does he also need couple of more years til Canucks call him up?

Reactions: Get North

jackjohnson

Feb 9, 2021
horrible trade for Vancouver. I am thinking there is something behind the scenes that we are not aware of. Sure he doesn't fit anywhere, so what? does Highmore fit anywhere? how does he even fit anywhere if he can't even make the NHL? Gaudette has one bad year and do we bail on our kids? He was on a 48 point pace as a 4th line player last year.
Benning got a low return but Highmore will probably have better D than Gaudette.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
Why are there people describing Highmore as fast?

they want to trick in their own brains into thinking this is a great trade for Vancouver. I've never even heard of Highmore before. Good trade Chicago.

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
they want to trick in their own brains into thinking this is a great trade for Vancouver. I've never even heard of Highmore before. Good trade Chicago.
the reality is highmores upside is basically 13th level NHL forward on a decent team/daily 4th liner on a bad team/AHL level spark plug-work ethic leader in a very good pipeline

SotasicA

Aug 25, 2014
Why are there people describing Highmore as fast? His top end speed is average at best. His acceleration and agility are below average. The only thing above average in his game is his motor.

Love the effort from him. But he is not an every day NHLer as it stands right now.
He has speed. That's the only reason he's managed to hang around. Speed is his bread and butter.

He was the fastest Hawk, at least until Hinostroza came back.

Reactions: ClydeLee

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
This is an insane take.

What coach in his right mind elevates someone who doesn't deserve to be elevated is not producing and has been awful in his own end to inflate his stats for some potential trade that may or may not materialize.

Haven't we been pretty much doing this with Virtanen? Not sure if it's to showcase him for a trade but he's been given prime opportunities over and over again for years despite disappointing for the most part.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
This is an insane take.

Gaudette absolutely sucked in last years playoffs. Needed to be replaced by Sutter and then proceeded to produce nothing and then carried it over to a terrible off season and season this year. He's been getting bumped off pucks with ease all year and skates in mud and has no clue in his own end.

I would have liked for them to be patient and give him another chance because he has skill and wicked shot and im not thrilled with the return but blaming others for him not succeeding is insane. They have been starving for secondary scoring and he's failed miserably

A successful coach will do what he has to do to get the most out of his players. A coach needs to think more dynamically than simply not moving a player up the roster when they aren’t succeeding in the role that they are currently playing.

Gaudette should have been try at wing in the top 6, it’s absurd that he wasn’t especially considering how we rotated players through that spot over the past year or so.

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
Let's all pump our brakes here a bit.

I personally had Gaudette penciled into next year's roster as our 13th forward, so it's not like this is some monumental loss. He did not fit as a 3C as he was not defensively responsible enough to take difficult assignments, and he is not good enough offensively to move up and play 2C. As such, Gaudette was in that awful little gap where he didn't really fit anywhere in the line up. Think a young Kyle Wellwood, only with less talent.

Where I would have liked to see him tried was on the wing in a scoring role, I thought there might be some hope for him as a secondary scorer in that position. Sadly he was never tried there, for whatever reason, and now he's been traded.

I don't think Chicago got some sort of unpolished gem here. To be fair Gaudette is already in his third full season and is 24 years old. I'm confident he could still improve his all around game, but I'm not sure he's going to suddenly become a break out player.

I am not upset that Gaudette is gone, I am upset with how he was sent packing. Why did we not move him last offseason when his value was high? We traded him when his value was at an all time low...

edit: re-read and I follow what you’re saying.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad