Confirmed Signing with Link: [CHI] Madison Bowey signs with the Blackhawks (2 years, $725K AAV)

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Geez, how many fringe dmen does Chicago need right now? We need actual guys who can stick in the top 4, not a rotation of court jesters on the third pair

Likely consistent lineup guys (not saying I agree with it):
Keith
Murphy
DeHaan
Zadorov

Then still figuring out:
Boqvist (arguably still a rookie)
Carlsson (rookie)
Beaudin (rookie)
Mitchell (rookie)
Kalynuk (rookie)

Then the ghost of Brent Seabrook who still lingers around like hockey equipment left in the trunk of your car in the summer time

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Geez, how many fringe dmen does Chicago need right now? We need actual guys who can stick in the top 4, not a rotation of court jesters on the third pair

Keith
Murphy
DeHaan
Zadorov

Then still figuring out:
Carlsson (rookie)
Beaudin (rookie)
Mitchell (rookie)
Kalynuk (rookie)

Then the ghost of Brent Seabrook who still lingers around like hockey equipment left in the trunk of your car in the summer time

Signing Bowey allows you to send back some of the waiver exempt guys so they can play consistently in the AHL which is supposed to start soon.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

Keith
Murphy
DeHaan
Zadorov

Then still figuring out:
Carlsson (rookie)
Beaudin (rookie)
Mitchell (rookie)
Kalynuk (rookie)

Boqvist is the 2nd youngest D in the NHL after Bowen Byram. He's a baby still.

Reactions: wahsnairb

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois

Keith
Murphy
DeHaan
Zadorov

Then still figuring out:
Carlsson (rookie)
Beaudin (rookie)
Mitchell (rookie)
Kalynuk (rookie)

One more game and Bowey becomes expansion fodder

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Signing Bowey allows you to send back some of the waiver exempt guys so they can play consistently in the AHL which is supposed to start soon.
I'm hoping that's the case and not just another Nick seeker waste of time

banks

Only got 5/16
Aug 29, 2019
According to Sportsnet, Bowey is 1 NHL game away from meeting the minimum exposure requirements for expansion. The only Blackhawks defenseman currently eligible for exposure is Connor Murphy.

This signing allows them to expose Bowey, because they have to expose someone, and protect Murphy.

That's all this is.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
As others are saying, expansion move and maybe also a move to allow one of the taxi squad kids to play down in Rockford instead of sitting.

It'll suck to see this guy play a game in a Hawks sweater, but these are the games you have to play if you want to give Seattle as little as possible. Hawks are not in the position to give legit assets like Murphy away for free.

Reactions: Sinbad and Mrfenn92

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Reminds me of the Russell extension in Edmonton, an undesirable but necessary move to meet requirements

HawkeyTalkMan

Jun 23, 2015
Seeler was claimed because of injuries. Seabrook and De Hann both had season ending injuries and Rockford was going through d injuries and call ups
yeah i hear that, but i guess then if you need an insurance policy (which I'm not exactly sure why we need to bring on Bowey right now with expanded taxi squads), but then why wasnt Koekkoek brought back for cheap and the $850k he signed for in EDM? he indicated he wanted to return and if you need a vet stopgap to eat some games to get the kids back to Rockford, we had that chance and with someone who was filling the gap well

seemed like a no risk insurance policy and there was nothing dictating you needed to play him (like a large salary or anything)

Reactions: _Del_

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
yeah i hear that, but i guess then if you need an insurance policy (which I'm not exactly sure why we need to bring on Bowey right now with expanded taxi squads), but then why wasnt Koekkoek brought back for cheap and the $850k he signed for in EDM? he indicated he wanted to return and if you need a vet stopgap to eat some games to get the kids back to Rockford, we had that chance and with someone who was filling the gap well

seemed like a no risk insurance policy and there was nothing dictating you needed to play him (like a large salary or anything)

Bowey is expansion fodder only. Beaudin and Kalynuk will need regular playing time with Rockford starting up better for each to play 20 minutes a night for them.

RedMenace

Jul 24, 2006
www.ShattenkirksKrakenshirt.net
He's definitely a better forward than defenseman, so if you need a swing man in that mould, Bowey's your man.

Not that he's ever played forward that I know of, but it's never too late when you're defensively... challenged... as a defenseman.

Reactions: VoluntaryDom

VoluntaryDom

Formerly DominicBoltsFan / Ⓐ / ✞
Oct 31, 2016
Tampa FL
He's definitely a better forward than defenseman, so if you need a swing man in that mould, Bowey's your man.

Not that he's ever played forward that I know of, but it's never too late when you're defensively... challenged... as a defenseman.
theres no way it could possibly be any worse than him as a defenseman

Reactions: RedMenace

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad