GDT: CHI @ BUF 7pm TV:MSG Radio:WGR - RJ's Last Call

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
After the shellacking in Boston last night I predict that Granato will have the team ready to play today. Against a team that is even lower in the standings than they are, the Sabres will eek out a 5-4 win in OT.

Reactions: Ginger Papa

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
6B8391C1-0C8F-462A-8ABB-DFAA872F8D73.jpeg

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
This feels like the Tragically Hip's last concert all over again. Going to try and enjoy the night for what it is.

As long as Rick doesn't start crying at the end of the 3rd period, I think I can hold it together.

It's weird. I recall Cronkite's last night. I recall Carson's final sign-off. Letterman's finale... those guys went out on their terms.

But the Hip's last show was harder than all of those things knowing what we knew of Gord's condition. I can only listen to this song on hard days. This is one of those.

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
It's weird. I recall Cronkite's last night. I recall Carson's final sign-off. Letterman's finale... those guys went out on their terms.

But the Hip's last show was harder than all of those things knowing what we knew of Gord's condition. I can only listen to this song on hard days. This is one of those.

I still haven't been able to watch all of that final Hip show. Too many feels.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I still haven't been able to watch all of that final Hip show. Too many feels.

I watched it live. I tried to get up to see them but finances and life were hurdles I could not overcome at the time. In retrospect, I don't regret it - I shared with the rest of the viewing audience and got some closure on the whole thing. It's still like some of the best parts of my life died with Gord's passing. And that's life.

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
I don't usually predict a Sabres win, but I think they'll come out really strong and try to win this one for rick kinda like they did in the Nashville game. I think they win this one pretty easily 4-1.

There's no doubt that this will be a full 60 min effort.

5 - 3 for the Sabres.
Kane gets a goal.
Sabres are up 5-1 with 2 min left before Toews scores a couple. This closes the circle from the tank era.

Reactions: sabresfan129103

Bobby Bottle Service

Win for Rick
Dec 15, 2005
Toronto
I watched it live. I tried to get up to see them but finances and life were hurdles I could not overcome at the time. In retrospect, I don't regret it - I shared with the rest of the viewing audience and got some closure on the whole thing. It's still like some of the best parts of my life died with Gord's passing. And that's life.

Watched it live. Cannot listen to Ahead by a Century without picturing it.

I was fortunate enough to see them 3 times. First time was in the UK for the Road Apples tour at a bar with about 300 people. Last time at the ACC for Fully Completely anniversary tour.

Have been a hip fan since the beginning and a Sabres fan all that time too.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Watched it live. Cannot listen to Ahead by a Century without picturing it.

I was fortunate enough to see them 3 times. First time was in the UK for the Road Apples tour at a bar with about 300 people. Last time at the ACC for Fully Completely anniversary tour.

Have been a hip fan since the beginning and a Sabres fan all that time too.

I saw them at a couple of bar shows in Buffalo, some festival shows, and the last time in person was at Maple Leaf Gardens in December of 1996. Saw Gord play Thursday in the Square, solo, but moving and marriage and kids... lots of stuff get in the way and I've vowed to do better at seeing musicians I enjoy now that I've looked back at the last 25 years of not doing things I enjoy to please others who weren't pulling their financial weight in the relationship.

As for that show, there is a moment when he looked at the camera and howled - I think it was Locked in the Trunk of a Car - and it still makes me well up just thinking about it.

So... moving back to RJ's last night before I'm a giant puddle of mush about anything else. :D

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005

There's a lot that goes through my mind when I hear TTH these days, or put on the concert for a few minutes. Obviously Gord already had a monumental legacy in Canada, and that fact that he was up there with that hat for 2 hours singing his ass off, knew that all of Canada was watching him, and still took the time to speak about the treatment of the Native Canadians as opposed to his own condition elevated him to truly rarified air.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
So do we see either or both of Pysyk/Miller tonight for what may be their final game as Sabres? I know the the GM and coach talked about working them in and having different looks on defense after the deadline, but that didn't really happen with the arrival of Power and getting an extended view of Fitzgerald, both of which are important to their summer planning.

Ehran

Sponsor
Feb 2, 2019
Texas
I've gotten used to being happy for the final game of the season because it means the torture is over and we can look forward to the offseason to try and get better.

First time in many years I'm glad the season is ending because the team is better and I think starting fresh with a new season will open up a ton of possibilities.

Sad that RJ won't be around to call games anymore, because I think they'll be fun ones moving forward.

Dulind

A unique encounter, with an emphasis on safety
Aug 12, 2021
GB
The year the French Connection came together was my first interest in the Sabres and hockey in General. I think it was the very same season we lost Tim Horton, too.

I guess I came in at a very curious time in Sabres history as a fan. Been through it all - the Cup losses, Malarchuck, league ownership, Ted, Tim, and Rico, 7/1/06, the last 10+ years. Lots of good times between them as well and far too many to list.

Tonight, out of all those events in Sabre history both good and bad, might be the toughest to endure.

Wish I could be there - just win it for the big guy upstairs!

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
I am really going to miss hearing RJ call the Sabres games. I've been a fan of the Sabres since the first year - that predates RJ by one year.

I spent most of my youth and young adulthood listening to RJ call the games on the radio, falling asleep to the West Coast games. Our family had no cable access, so unless the game was on local TV, it was RJ on the radio. Once the simulcasts started, I still predominantly listened on the radio as I was probably studying or working on my cars with my brother at the same time. If you knew RJ's style, you knew when you HAD to listen by the excitement level in his voice.

When I was first married, I caught some games live, some on TV, but still mostly on the radio. When I had my kids - that was in the late 90s - they got to watch their stuff - Sponge Bob, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, Dexter's Laboratory etc - so I'd listen on the radio in the kitchen.

It's like he's been a constant during every phase of my life. So past Saturday afternoon, my wife asked me why I was out working in the garage, listening to the game on the radio. I told her it's RJ's second last game - and I just wanted to hear him call a game on the radio one last time.

I'm going to miss him very much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad