Confirmed Buy-Out [CHI] Blackhawks to buy out F Josh Bailey

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I mean, the way Chicago is doing the rebuild you have to wonder if they didn't want Bailey because he actively makes the team better.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell
I mean because he wants more ice time I assume he means top 6 minutes ? But idk

He spent a bunch of time as a healthy scratch last year, including down the stretch and the playoffs. By comparison a regular bottom 6 role should be welcome, but I have no special knowledge of Bailey's wishes.

Reactions: Seanaconda

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
After the Prik situation which was technically allowed….the nhl said this isn’t happening again.

I think there's a specific and very narrow special situation where it's allowed. I think the league only said they'd scrutinize deals like this where there's inte tion for the player to return to the original team

June 2018 ish was the Orpik situation.

Flames bought out Stone August 2019 and signed him September 2019. But it met the special situation criteria.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Was mentioned by a local hawks reporter the islanders traded Bailey to the hawks with the understanding they would buy him out. He wanted to be able to go to market as a free agent.

Which makes sense I am sure he wants to have chance to latch onto a contender and if he finds no takers I think he may even retire given his statement about his family and intention to remain in area when his playing career is over

Ledge And Dairy

I think there's a specific and very narrow special situation where it's allowed. I think the league only said they'd scrutinize deals like this where there's inte tion for the player to return to the original team

June 2018 ish was the Orpik situation.

Flames bought out Stone August 2019 and signed him September 2019. But it met the special situation criteria.
You cannot add a player to your roster for a total of 1 year after trading them. The loophole was the way Calgary did it with Stone since they never traded him away.

The reason DeAngelo hasn't been traded yet is because the Canes are not allowed to reacquire him until July 8th.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You cannot add a player to your roster for a total of 1 year after trading them. The loophole was the way Calgary did it with Stone since they never traded him away.

The reason DeAngelo hasn't been traded yet is because the Canes are not allowed to reacquire him until July 8th.
Isn't that 1-year rule only in the case of matching an offer sheet?

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain

Not sure what you’re referring to here, but it’s incorrect.

There’s a CBA restriction that Compliance Buyout players can’t rejoin the team within a year. This isn’t a Compliance Buyout. Nor is it a retained salary transaction.

Ledge And Dairy

Not sure what you’re referring to here, but it’s incorrect.

There’s a CBA restriction that Compliance Buyout players can’t rejoin the team within a year. This isn’t a Compliance Buyout. Nor is it a retained salary transaction.
Yeah was looking through the CBA myself because I had read somewhere that the Orpic trade resulted in a rule change but it was probably just talk about changing a rule. But you are right it was not changed so technically the Islanders could re-sign him

mouser

Business of Hockey
Jul 13, 2006
South Mountain
Yeah was looking through the CBA myself because I had read somewhere that the Orpic trade resulted in a rule change but it was probably just talk about changing a rule. But you are right it was not changed so technically the Islanders could re-sign him

No rule changes, but I believe the NHL has always reserved the right to reject a contract signing if they believed cap circumvention was involved. In the cases of Orpik and Stone I suspect the NHL may have pursued cap circumvention penalties if they thought either Orpik or Stone had an agreement in principle to re-sign with the team before the buyout. With a focus on whether the team and player planned a buyout and re-signing to circumvent the cap.

Stone and Orpik re-signed with their respective teams on Sep 11th and July 24th, after neither fetched much interest on the UFA market.

If Bailey were to re-sign with the Isles in very early July I’ll predict the league will very closely look at the circumstances. As they would have done with Stone and Orpik.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I'm actually shocked they bought him out. Seemed like a another good insulation piece for Bedard that they could have flipped at 50% at the deadline. He's still a decent player and has a great postseason record so at 2.5M and 80% proration someone probably would have taken him for a mid round pick
They have Hall who could be flipped for a lot more assets at 50%. That's 2 retained salaries if they end up flipping him at deadline. I don't see them retaining on Murphy this season, but if the right offer came along that would be using a 3rd retained salary. I can see why retaining on Bailey might not have been ideal this season if they're planning on potentially using those other retention spots. There's also Perry, or even being a 3rd team involved in eating cap for some other team to make a big time move. The assets you get from Bailey retained is probably on the lower end of all those other potential moves.

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
They have Hall who could be flipped for a lot more assets at 50%. That's 2 retained salaries if they end up flipping him at deadline. I don't see them retaining on Murphy this season, but if the right offer came along that would be using a 3rd retained salary. I can see why retaining on Bailey might not have been ideal this season if they're planning on potentially using those other retention spots. There's also Perry, or even being a 3rd team involved in eating cap for some other team to make a big time move. The assets you get from Bailey retained is probably on the lower end of all those other potential moves.
I'm not sure why Hall would be flipped this deadline. Unless he's unhappy and wants out. He's here to help out and have someone to play with Bedard. Not to just play with Bedard half a year and leave him out to dry.

denis5

Mar 13, 2007
Anyone have any insight to what he's got left and what he is in the locker room?
Good locker room guy, absolutely cooked on the ice. Rumors have been floating around re: chronic back and shoulder issues. Have no idea if true, but it would explain why he looks okay for a game or three, then completely disappears for months.

Reactions: Flgatorguy87

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Anyone have any insight to what he's got left and what he is in the locker room?
Everyone loved him in the NYI room - he's apparently a consistent, genuine low-key person - the kind of person who doesn't (like ever) wear out his welcome.

Bailey has slick hands, and not a whole lot more at this point. His best attribute as a RW is being great on breakouts (only on the RW, though). He's go no jam, but he takes the hit to make the play, and has started a lot of odd man rushes over the course of his career.

Flgatorguy87

Jul 7, 2011
East Nasty
Everyone loved him in the NYI room - he's apparently a consistent, genuine low-key person - the kind of person who doesn't (like ever) wear out his welcome.

Bailey has slick hands, and not a whole lot more at this point. His best attribute as a RW is being great on breakouts (only on the RW, though). He's go no jam, but he takes the hit to make the play, and has started a lot of odd man rushes over the course of his career.
Can he be a 1 year bottom line guy that helps bring in a workman like culture. That'll be what Trotz wants.

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Can he be a 1 year bottom line guy that helps bring in a workman like culture. That'll be what Trotz wants.
He's never been good in that role, and definitely is not now. Over his whole career, he's always been a much better player playing with other high-hockey sense players.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad