Confirmed Buy-Out [CHI] Blackhawks to buy out F Josh Bailey

WarriorofTime

Jul 3, 2010
LoL

People had this guy playing on a line with Bedard five minutes ago.

Probably told Davidson "thanx but nah, I'm good" then hung up the phone.
Probably not, as it was likely the Blackhawks plan to buy him out. He was under contract for 1 year at $5 million, so if he was refusing to report he'd have to retire.

torniojaws

Jan 10, 2017
Finland
Hang on, they both bought him out AND traded him? How does that work :D

Nevermind, they first traded him in, instead of buying out.

Last edited:

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I would have just held onto him as 3rd line winger and potential TDL flip

But they decided against it. I had them trading for and buying out Matt Murray and since that didn't happen I guess this works out as buyout option instead

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Aren't there easier ways to acquire 2nd round picks then by wasting literally millions of dollars? Do the Hawks think they are being clever?

There are cap dumps teams would probably pay late firsts to get rid of that can still be useful roster players for the Hawks.

Jan 21, 2018
So when a player doesn’t want to play for NYI he’s a traitor

but when NYI doesn’t want a player to play for them its okay?

Somehow uncle Lou has tricked isles fans into hating the wrong person lmao

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Aren't there easier ways to acquire 2nd round picks then by wasting literally millions of dollars? Do the Hawks think they are being clever?

There are cap dumps teams would probably pay late firsts to get rid of that can still be useful roster players for the Hawks.

Considering that didn't happen taking 2nd is next best option

Hawks have $ and will make more $ with Bedard reviving interest in franchise especially among media/sponsers

Buying a 2nd round pick is good tool for a franchise with financial resources of Hawks to utilize. Also, there were few teams with cap room and willing to buyout Bailey, so Isles management is happy to be left with no cap hit and Isles ownership is happy to be left with no financial obligation a buyout brings

Hawks get 2nd
Isles get $5M in cap relief
Isles ownership saves a few million $
Bailey becomes UFA

Everyone is happy in this scenario

Reactions: Jannik Hansen

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Considering that didn't happen taking 2nd is next best option

Hawks have $ and will make more $ with Bedard reviving interest in franchise especially among media/sponsers

Buying a 2nd round pick is good tool for a franchise with financial resources of Hawks to utilize. Also, there were few teams with cap room and willing to buyout Bailey, so Isles management is happy to be left with no cap hit and Isles ownership is happy to be left with no financial obligation a buyout brings

Hawks get 2nd
Isles get $5M in cap relief
Isles ownership saves a few million $
Bailey becomes UFA

Everyone is happy in this scenario
I just feel like if the Hawks are trying to weaponize cap space, they are doing a horrible job of it so far.

Why take on Hall's full 6 million and not get an asset back? You''re in year zero of a large-scale rebuild, don't play yourself out of the basement and not even get futures for it.

Perry for a 7th?

Bailey for a 2nd and then wasting 2.5 million of cap space to buy him out.

Wouldn't the Canucks have paid a very good young asset to take on OEL? Would the Leafs not add some very good assets to take on JT and in doing so put a good veteran C in front of Bedard?

If you're going to eat cap, make it count.

They ate up 10.5 million in cap for Hall, Foligno, and Bailey for a 2nd.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
SO, I see that the price of a 2.5M in cap space is approximately a 2nd rounder.

That means the Hawks will be getting about 8-10 seconds over the next few months.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

That is the crux of it….how much in terms is draft pick comp vs money you actually spend ( not cap hit but actual $$)

would it have made more sense in Isles retained some and blackhawks retained half and he went to diff team at 25-30%

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I just feel like if the Hawks are trying to weaponize cap space, they are doing a horrible job of it so far.

Why take on Hall's full 6 million and not get an asset back? You''re in year zero of a large-scale rebuild, don't play yourself out of the basement and not even get futures for it.

Perry for a 7th?

Bailey for a 2nd and then wasting 2.5 million of cap space to buy him out.

Wouldn't the Canucks have paid a very good young asset to take on OEL? Would the Leafs not add some very good assets to take on JT and in doing so put a good veteran C in front of Bedard?

If you're going to eat cap, make it count.

They ate up 10.5 million in cap for Hall, Foligno, and Bailey for a 2nd.
If Vancover was gonna get a team to do it and give up enough assests. They wouldn’t of bought him out.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
So the current cost for a 2nd round draft pick is about $3.9m total in cap space over two years.

HFpapi

Mar 6, 2010
Toronto/Amsterdam
Why not just play him. They don’t exactly seem to have a full roster
This is what makes no sense to me. Why do the Hawks care what their roster looks like next year?

You pay Bailey 2.5 million a year to **** off and now have to pay another roster player to slot in where Bailey could have played.

Reactions: biturbo19

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I don't really get this component of the transaction from the Blackhawks end.

Was Bailey just going to be a malcontent playing on a bad team? Seemed like he'd have been useful enough there for a year, just filling some minutes on a team that doesn't have an overflowing bounty of at least NHL caliber offensive players.

If they knew he was just going to pout and drag his feet about playing on a tank team, that's really the only reason i could see a buyout making more sense than just paying him to fill their roster for the year.

This is what makes no sense to me. Why do the Hawks care what their roster looks like next year?

You pay Bailey 2.5 million a year to **** off and now have to pay another roster player to slot in where Bailey could have played.

Yeah. That becomes especially puzzling when you look at how much they had to pay Athanasiou to stick around and fill minutes for them. And quite frankly...i'd rather have Bailey playing there than AA.

$2.5M brings them up to what Bailey would've cost, and a team in the Hawks position probably aren't going to get much for that price.

Perhaps they're anticipating taking on more cap dumps, on players they like better as roster "filler"?

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Would have thought Chicago could have used him somewhere on their roster. Always struck me as a decent vet.

Maybe he wanted to be bought out and go to a playoff team on the cheap.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Would have thought Chicago could have used him somewhere on their roster. Always struck me as a decent vet.

Maybe he wanted to be bought out and go to a playoff team on the cheap.
The buyout was probably part of the agreement. I’m guessing he’ll go to a team closer to the Islanders (that’s not the Rangers) on a league minimum deal. Watch him sign in Philly or PTO in NJ.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad