This was Schmaltz on the dumpster fire that was Chicago last season:

Overall points: 52 (t-2nd)
5v5 points: 33 (3rd)
Power play points: 13 (2nd)
Overall goals: 21 (3rd)

5v5 goals: 7 (t-7th)
Overall assists: 31 (3rd)
5v5 assists: 16th (4th)
5v5 Corsi percentage (min. 41 games): 51.63 (7th)
5v5 on-ice goals for percentage (min. 41 games): 52.17 (4th)
Takeaways: 86 (1st)

thesaadfather

Kneel Before Saad!
Jan 30, 2014
Ohio
WHY WHY WHY would Chicago give up on Schmaltz.

Chicago trading Schmaltz because of a poor 20 games seems incredibly dumb to me, especially when the primary piece of the return is Strome. Just seems really, really dumb.

It's a hell of a trade for Arizona if it ends up happening, what a steal for them.

I'm puzzled as well. Is this another cap move from the Hawks?
He had a good year last year, but they've been trying break Schmaltz out of the mold of pure playmaker, but he still defers too much. Still not sure if he's a wing or center. Good stick defensively but doesn't consistently make an impact in his own zone, IMO. Probably just too much uncertainty, and he likely wanted a big contract.

Wintersun

Jan 15, 2013
Montreal
I like that deal for Arizona. It could maybe backfire but as far as I'm concerned I'm not even sure Perlini and Strome are legitimate NHL players. They may improve but that doesn't look nearly as bad as some think for Arizona. These guys were pretty highly valued not long ago but they have not done much.

It could obviously backfire, but that's far from certain.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why tf would Chicago trade Schmaltz for Strome lmao

The trade became really good for the Hawks once it was announced Perlini was involved in the swap. Strome isn't the primary piece in the trade, it was a really good move for Chicago.

I think both teams benefit from this, I think Arizona gets the best player right now, but Chicago gets 2 guys who have the potential to be big contributors down the road.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Good trade. Arizona gets the better player but if Perlini/Strome pan out then it'll be pretty clear win for them. I just doubt the likelihood of that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad