Confirmed Trade: [CHI/ARI] Murphy and Dauphin for Hjalmarsson

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I love how people are now saying how good Murphy is. Before the trade if you had done a poll on who was better Hammer or Murphy it would be 200-0 for Hammer. Chicago lost this one just like the one with Panarin.

Sure, but Murphy is much younger and may get better.

jacobhockey13

used to watch hockey, then joined HF Boards
Apr 17, 2014
on the bench
I love how people are now saying how good Murphy is. Before the trade if you had done a poll on who was better Hammer or Murphy it would be 200-0 for Hammer. Chicago lost this one just like the one with Panarin.

Our board is a bit split on Murphy. We all like his commitment and attitude. No questions there.

We also like his physical play, he's one of the few guys who can clear a crease but whether the NHL continues to move away from allowing guys to do that is anybody's guess.

I also suspect that Murphy will look better just being on as good of a team as Chicago. For years now he's been straddled with bad parters and a bad forward core.

Off the rush is where he's most vulnerable in my mind. Players can possibly exploit him by either going wide with speed or making quick cuts. He's not a bad skater in general but it would really serve him well to improve skating backwards and become smoother in that area.

On the other hand, with the puck established in his own zone, he's a good defender. He doesn't leave guys open, plays a simple game, and generally doesn't give up much.

He's reliable breaking out and though he isn't one of those rare defenders with "vision", his passing is really accurate. He also has nice slap shot.

For years he's had "potential" because he was really impressive as a young rookie but hasn't really improved much. But also AZ was a much better team when he came in the league so that's something to consider.

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
lol at blackhawks. only if this trade was made before the expansion draft, they woulda had tvr today

no they wouldnt because they have a deal with vegas to take kruger. but first they have to wait until the 1st to pay him his bonus.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
damn.. It will be interesting to watch the hawks next season, that's for sure. Will be quite a different squad. Not even sure it's a cap deal. Murphy makes 250K less than Hjalmarsson

But just like the Saad/Panarin trade, there's the term there. Both of those guys were UFAs in 2 years, which means if they couldn't get them extended (likely with raises) they'd have to move them then. Moving them now ensures that they're getting the best value possible back. Moving them for players with similar cap hits but more term ensures those players will be around 2+ years from now.

SCBlueLiner

Dec 27, 2013
Is there someplace I can go to get a real time look at the Hawks roster as these deals happen. I'm having a hard time keeping up and figuring out what the lineup is. Trying to figure out the end game and how these pieces are going to come together.

Putt Pirate

Dec 15, 2015
As a Hawks fan I am sure gonna miss Hammer. and the Yotes really needed a D man that was SAH and solid with great hockey sense. From a Hawks perspective not really thrilled with this trade. But Stan wants change and to get younger so he got what he wanted.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
Wunderkind genius GM Chayka at it again! :)sarcasm:?)

But seriously, Hjalmarsson is a great dman. Guy is an absolute warrior, glad he's not on the hawks any longer so I can root for him. It's cool to see AZ making some splashes.

McArthur

May 26, 2010
Hockey Heart Land
As a Hawks fan I am sure gonna miss Hammer. and the Yotes really needed a D man that was SAH and solid with great hockey sense. From a Hawks perspective not really thrilled with this trade. But Stan wants change and to get younger so he got what he wanted.

I must not watch enough Chicago/Arizona games... But from the times my team plays both those teams, I had forgot Hjalmarsson was even there. Whereas I was never looking forward to playing against Murphy. The fact that Chicago got Dauphin too is funny to me.

State of Hockey

Oct 9, 2006
It's hard to see now, but these are the moves that keep a team competitive for longer. It's shocking to see the Hawks trade Hjalmarsson, but i think it's a risk worth taking. The Hawks didn't become great because all their players were studs before the got there. Murphy has a fair chance to continue that tradition and replace Hjalmarsson for a longer period for less money. The time to trade Hjalmarsson is now.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Hammer has lost step since the 2015 Cup, but worrisome that Murphy also seem to have regressed, is this true? Haven't seen much of him, just know that he's a top 4 on a terrible team and signed for 5 more years.

What is he and can he improve on a better team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad