TV: Chernobyl (HBO)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
Doc I watched a while back on nuclear power highlights the type of reactors used and safety. A system developed in the US for automatic shut down would have prevented what happened in Japan and Russia but it's not used for various reasons. If I find it I'll post it - the tech is over 30 years old.

Jan 9, 2007
Australia
Fukishima happened because they lost power and couldn't shut it down. There is a system that can shut it down in the event of a power loss.

Agree on Chernobyl
Fukushima Article

There were more things that went wrong with Fukushima than just power going off.

Personally, I question putting a nuclear power plant right next to the ocean in a country with such an active earthquake situation.

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Probably the biggest ones would be that nuclear power is dirty, and inherently dangerous. It is in fact one of the cleanest and safest form of electricity production there is, it even beats out solar and wind. I have heard "environmentalists" state reasons as to why they push these lies, but that would be crossing into politics.

But nuclear, like weed has been subject to a long campaign of lies and misinformation, and scare tactics. I am slowly seeing more people becoming open to nuclear power, but perhaps not fast enough.
Nuclear was once a green project. But nobody ever solved the problem of storage for highly nuclear waste, though.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
One of the more upsetting things I've read about the disaster is that when the inhabitants of Pripyat were evacuated they were forced to leave all of their pets behind.

I'd be devastated if I had to do that.

Until the incident that area was a great place to live. Economically very strong. Ukraine in general was doing quite well in the 1980s relative to the rest of the Soviet Union.

I was based in Siberia then and really struggling to get by. I remember visiting my family in Kherson in the spring of '86, just weeks before the incident, and things seemed so much more stable there. They had food and clothes we couldn't get out East. And then soon after everything went to shit.

Last edited:
Reactions: Randy Butternubs

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Chernobyl (HBO Miniseries) [2019] / Episode 1 :

Wow. Just wow.

10/10

Miniseries Trailer :

Last edited:

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Episode 1 was really good. I liked how they tried to portray it from the point of view of the people involved, so it was utter chaos and gruesome.

Blender

Dec 2, 2009
Episode 2 was even better than episode 1. This has been amazing so far.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad