TV: Chernobyl (HBO)

chicagoskycam

Land of #1 Overall Picks
Nov 19, 2009
Fulton Market, Chicago
chicagoskycam.com
I respect the effort, polish, and integrity of it, and I'll get on board with applauding telling the story this way as a public service, but if I'm being honest, I didn't really care for it too much or see it as some brilliant TV show, personally. What I took away from it was the fascinating dry knowledge/understanding of what happened, not necessarily anything that stands out to me about the show itself.

You can get most of that from a doc on Chernobyl. I think the thing that stood out was the minor details. The cover up, the miners, the animals being put down.. ect. I would have like to see more about the coverage in the West vs. the lack of news coverage in the Soviet Union.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
You can get most of that from a doc on Chernobyl. I think the thing that stood out was the minor details. The cover up, the miners, the animals being put down.. ect. I would have like to see more about the coverage in the West vs. the lack of news coverage in the Soviet Union.
Yeah, exactly. I think I would have gotten the exact same value out of reading about the incident or watching a documentary rather than watching the show, personally.

kook10

Jun 27, 2011
Yeah, exactly. I think I would have gotten the exact same value out of reading about the incident or watching a documentary rather than watching the show, personally.

So all of the production value was lost on you?

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
So all of the production value was lost on you?
I can acknowledge it because it's clear that it exists, but I don't think I actually see that much value to it by itself that I actually care about, personally, beyond me dispassionately going "that's technically very impressive, bravo to the work that went into it, and I'm glad that it gave me an excuse to have an important history lesson". Beyond that, it didn't really translate into that "this is done in such a way that fills me with love and appreciation for the medium/art" feeling that other things do and that usually makes me want to declare things as great. Just pointing out that contrast as a lot of people have been reacting to it that way.

So I wouldn't say it's lost on me, I just don't get off on it the way other people do, I guess.

Last edited:
Jan 9, 2007
Australia
I can acknowledge it because it's clear that it exists, but I don't think I actually see that much value to it by itself that I actually care about, personally, beyond me dispassionately going "that's technically very impressive, bravo to the work that went into it, and I'm glad that it gave me an excuse to have an important history lesson". Beyond that, it didn't really translate into that "this is done in such a way that fills me with love and appreciation for the medium/art" feeling that other things do and that usually makes me want to declare things as great. Just pointing out that contrast as a lot of people have been reacting to it that way.

So I wouldn't say it's lost on me, I just don't get off on it the way other people do, I guess.
That is literally the point of stuff like this. The point is that you apparently didn't watch a documentary or read any books about it before, but you did watch a dramatic depiction of the events.

Most people think it was just a well done depiction of historical events that filled in the gaps that most of us didn't know. We aren't comparing it to Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
That is literally the point of stuff like this. The point is that you apparently didn't watch a documentary or read any books about it before, but you did watch a dramatic depiction of the events.

Most people think it was just a well done depiction of historical events that filled in the gaps that most of us didn't know. We aren't comparing it to Game of Thrones or Breaking Bad.
I agree, which is what I said earlier. I appreciate it as a public service for exposing these ideas to people who otherwise wouldn't care about it (and doing it more or less accurately)-- it accomplishes that raw function well, but I don't appreciate it all that much as a creative/artistic work, not as much as the reputation it's getting, anyways.

Last edited:

Osprey

Feb 18, 2005
Watched the first episode and thought it was rather boring. Does it pick up anytime soon?

I wasn't grabbed by the first episode, either, nor most of the second. I started to be grabbed near the end of the second episode. I would watch at least one more episode before deciding to give up. If it still doesn't interest you by then, it might not be for you.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
I just watched this last weekend. Really well done, I can see why some wouldn't like it but I was hooked from the first episode. Obviously you can only do so much as a dramatization of a real world event but I thought it was well done. Last episode was easily tops for me. The jump cuts between the trial and the bunker with the narration over top were amazing.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Datsyukian Deke

The Captain is Home!!
Apr 5, 2012
Middle Tennessee
Finished the final episode last night. Overall, very pleased with the series, good acting, suspenseful & informative at the same time, which I really appreciated.

Out of curiosity, does anybody have a good book recommendation on the subject that has read one? I've looked over a few, but simply am wondering which is the most well liked that doesn't become too dry of a read over time.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Finally got around to watching this.

Extremely well done. The acting was done very well, the tone was portrayed perfectly, and the attention to detail was outstanding. It's not something I "enjoyed" watching, per se, but it was well worth the watch.

My only complaint would be that I wished it expanded a little more on what happened after the courtroom session.

Reactions: Datsyukian Deke

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad