Chelios runs mouth about Bettman

Status
Not open for further replies.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
norrisnick said:
Judge away. Though you guys are looking worse than Chelios (and he's not getting out of this thing smelling of roses and not because of the gassed comment).

Thanks for the belated permission slip.

Sammy*

Newsguyone said:
Wow. It gets even better.
You just dont get it. Fanboys like you are so blinded by their love of a team or a player they cant see the forest for the trees.
Good lord, grow up.

norrisnick

The best...
Apr 14, 2005
Sammy said:
You just dont get it. Fanboys like you are so blinded by their love of a team or a player they cant see the forest for the trees.
Good lord, grow up.
What forest? There is at best a shrub here. Mountains, mole hills... ringing any bells?

SENSible1*

Trottier said:
You are correct, the NHL has handled these negotiations in a respectful, business-like manner. Regardless, there are many hateful "fans" who need no prodding. They hate the players, they hate Goodenow...and now some of the same geniuses want to see Bettman, the guy who got the job done in spades, canned! Classic!

Bettman deserves (and will get) a huge bonus for a job masterfully done in relation to the CBA negotiations.

I still think the NHL would be well served to move him to a different position to help the relations between these new business partners. Chelios is not alone among the players in his blind hatred for Bettman, so his removal could help facilitate the healing process.

One would think that would not be so hard to do, but apparently (reading this thread) it is for some. You know, "I don't like Chelios' opinion, so I won't refute his claim, but rather assassinate his character and career." Brilliant!
:)
As you well know, I've been a staunch supporter of the owners throughout this process. Like you, I have become increasingly uncomfortable with the level of hatred heaped on the players. I understood the basis of the player's trust of Goodenow, but was frustrated with their inability to see the folly of his tactics this time around.

I feel no great sense of vindication in the result and take no pleasure in watching people bash the players for fighting a losing battle. I'm sorry they had to learn this harsh lesson and will gladly go back to cheering myself hoarse for them when they return to the ice. I happen to agree with Bettman, Daly et al. when they talk in glowing terms about having the sport whose athletes are the best ambassadors. As with any large group there will be bad apples, but in general the players are decent, hardworking people who love their sport and deserve far better than to be kicked while they are down.

I'll celebrate when Goodenow is fired for his incompetence, but only because of the arrogance with which he went about his job. Hopefully he has more success in his next postition and learns some lessons from his Waterloo.

Sammy*

norrisnick said:
What forest? There is at best a shrub here. Mountains, mole hills... ringing any bells?
Maybe, but I am talking in a more global sense than this particular incident.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
Newsguyone said:
I've never believed that something is right or wrong based on whether or not the "vast majority" believes it so.

So what? The problem is your incessant WHINING about it, telling people that YOU are tired of THEIR posts. Who are you to tell people what to post?

A Good Flying Bird*

Montrealer said:
Try this:

Go around saying that Bettman should be "bombed like he was a subway car."

Then use your quote above to forgive yourself.

See how far you get.

:shakehead

Did you ever see the episode of Seinfeld where George is chowing down on shrimp at the board meeting, and his coworker says, "Hey George, the ocean called, it's running out of shrimp."

So george comes up with "the jerk store called, they're running out of you!"

That's kind of what you just did.

Axed and Gassed are words commonly used instead instead of fired.

My anology makes sense.

I don't know what the hell you're trying to say.

"bombed like he was a subway car."

What the hell is that?

Again, it seems like you can't differentiate between what Chelios said and what you think people might interpret his words as meaning, given the right circumstances.

A Good Flying Bird*

neelynugs said:
ummmm...chelios knows bettman is jewish, and i'd imagine he knows about the holocaust (he has been hit in the head a lot, so ya never know). your analogy makes zero sense.

Come off it.

So I can say "he should get gassed" without sanction about everyone in the world and not have to worry about it, unless that person is a jew, then I have to apologize?

Ever read Orwell, sonny?

A Good Flying Bird*

Crazy_Ike said:
So what? The problem is your incessant WHINING about it, telling people that YOU are tired of THEIR posts. Who are you to tell people what to post?

This entire board is dedicated to people with inferiority complexes who've done nothing but whine and cry about player salaries.

A Good Flying Bird*

Sammy said:
Good lord, grow up.

Fanboy?

I've had jobs where I've had to deal with them on a personal basis. Some of them are jerks. Others are great guys.
Just like people you work with. Just like people on this board.

Whatever. Players are just people like you and me.
I don't begrudge them the opportunity to make their money. I'm not one of those people who thinks that because I pay for a hockey ticket, I'm allowed to sit in judgement of a hockey player's lifestyle, morals, ethics, etc.

And don't think that judgment isn't a big part of this. There's this alcoholic where I work. Every day, it seems, he's got some complaint about some athlete or celebrity.
"Did you see what Roenick said?"
"Did you see that Mike Illitch's son was picked up for solicitation"

It's always with some sort of righteous indignation that implies that "yeah, they might make millions of dollars a year. but they're no better than the rest of us."

Well, duh. If you didn't know that without sorry sacks like Kobe, OJ and whatever other athlete is doing something stupid, then I feel sorry for you.

It's like celebrities and their opinions.
On the politics board, people actually say that celebrities should shut up and not talk about Iraq.

No. The news media shouldn't report it. Or you shouldn't listen to it.

People seem so envious of celebrities and their status that they resent them.;
And that's exactly what I detect in a ton of the posts I read in here every day.

I was in Columbus for the World Cup exhibition game between Canada and the US.
Let me just say that I saw Gretzky and Chelios standing in the hotel lobby signing autographs for a line that looked an hour long.
They were playing for pride. They were giving back to the game. And they were making the kids happy.
Hardly to portrait of greed and idiocy that is being painted here.

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to say whether or not a player should or should not make their money. That's part of sports.

But that's not my style (at least not in the framework of this CBA negotiation)

I enjoy watching the best hockey players in the world play the game.
I'll be glad to see them back at work.

It's just too bad that you guys will still be crying about their salaries even after the lockout is over.

Last edited by a moderator:

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
Newsguyone said:
Axed and Gassed are words commonly used instead instead of fired.

Axed is indeed commonly used for fired. If you search google for "axed fired", you return many results relating to people getting fired from their job.

Gassed is not commonly used for fired (first time I've ever heard of it used in that context). If you search google for "gassed fired" you return many results relating to tear and mustard gas being fired into and onto people.

Now do you understand the difference, or must I continue?

GSC2k2*

nyrmessier011 said:
Chelios is 100% correct. Bettman focused so much on the PR battle and trying making the players look like the bad guys that it's now going to backfire on him. Now Bettman and the owners run a sports league in which so much people hate the actual product. Just another mistake by a "man" who knows nothing about the sport and about running a sports league.
This foolishness has to stop. I challenge you to produce a quote where Bettman was critiquing the players as players. And no, critiquing the PA leadership or the "union" (same thing) does not count.

Even if you somehow stumbled on even one, i can produce 100 where he raves about the best players in the world, ambassadors, wanting to be the players' partners, etc.

Are you by any chance in the hockey business? If not, Bettman has 12 years on you. I never fail to get a chuckle out of the same tired old hackneyed cliches about Bettman not being a "hockey guy" (whatever the hell that is) that he was subjected to when he took on his position. It has been TWELVE YEARS!!!!!! He knows more about the business of the NHL than any man walking the face of this earth.

Jeesh. Everyone needs to understand that time has not stood still over the last 12 years. It is long since time to retire that chestnut. :shakehead

{Edit: one should read the whole thread before posting sometimes. It seems several psoters replied before me on this theme. Sorry, I could not help myself.}

Last edited by a moderator:

GSC2k2*

Montrealer said:
Axed is indeed commonly used for fired. If you search google for "axed fired", you return many results relating to people getting fired from their job.

Gassed is not commonly used for fired (first time I've ever heard of it used in that context). If you search google for "gassed fired" you return many results relating to tear and mustard gas being fired into and onto people.

Hate to disagree, montrealer, but I have heard the term "gassed" used many times as a reference to being fired. I will grant you there are other more commonly used phrases or words - axed, canned, etc. - but gassed is in the common parlance.

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
gscarpenter2002 said:
Hate to disagree, montrealer, but I have heard the term "gassed" used many times as a reference to being fired. I will grant you there are other more commonly used phrases or words - axed, canned, etc. - but gassed is in the common parlance.

Totally new one for me!

I guess I will own up and apologize then. I truly tried to find some examples and was unable to (although I didn't really search hard..)

Gassed. Hmph.

A Good Flying Bird*

Montrealer said:

gassed isn't as common as axed. But I've heard it used plenty of times.

How does that change anything?

Montrealer

What, me worry?
Dec 12, 2002
Chambly QC
txomisc said:
Wow, I agree with you again. Have we found the end of the universe?

Venkman: Rivers and seas boiling!
Egon: 40 years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanos.
Winston: The dead rising from the grave!
Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
nyrmessier011 said:
Your the biggest idiot to post on these boards. You know dick about the game and the NHL.

Chelios is 100% correct. Bettman focused so much on the PR battle and trying making the players look like the bad guys that it's now going to backfire on him. Now Bettman and the owners run a sports league in which so much people hate the actual product. Just another mistake by a "man" who knows nothing about the sport and about running a sports league.

Maybe it's just because I'm a pro-owner lackey - but my rememberance of Bettman during all of this is his sincere press conference when they cancelled the season. I don't ever remember him attacking individual players - maybe critizicing the PA's lack of urgency around negotiating, but I don't remember it getting personal on his part. I think that the NHL just did a much better job of communicating their POV throughout this entire debacle. If the PA got total obliterated in the PR campaign, it's because they almost went out of their way to look spoiled and ignorant. Best example - Goodenow's press conference after the season was cancelled.

If this ends as expected - Bettman got the EXACT final outcome the owners wanted. I don't think there was any realistic way for it to end any sooner than it has, and have the owners get what they felt they need. That is why Bettman is going to keep his job.

Chelly continues to show that athletic ability have no correlation to class or intellegence. I can't take away his accomplishments on the ice, as he has been a total stud during the vast majority of his career, but he has continually proven to be a total piece of crap off the ice.

txomisc

Mar 18, 2002
California
Visit site
Im still waiting for legitimate evidence of this Bettman PR plot against the players. Maybe some quotes where he strictly blames the players for all the leagues problems? Maybe one where he says the players didnt play exciting enough hockey for it to be popular? I dont know, there must be SOME evidence of this scandalous pr campain....oh thats right, it was fabricated in the minds of those in the minority opinion on most lockout positions to somehow justify themselves

Canadian_Brewtality

Feb 16, 2005
Montrealer said:
Venkman: Rivers and seas boiling!
Egon: 40 years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanos.
Winston: The dead rising from the grave!
Venkman: Human sacrifice, dogs and cats, living together... mass hysteria!

Yes! :bow:

Best movie ever.

Sammy*

Newsguyone said:
Fanboy?

I've had jobs where I've had to deal with them on a personal basis. Some of them are jerks. Others are great guys.
Just like people you work with. Just like people on this board.

Whatever. Players are just people like you and me.
I don't begrudge them the opportunity to make their money. I'm not one of those people who thinks that because I pay for a hockey ticket, I'm allowed to sit in judgement of a hockey player's lifestyle, morals, ethics, etc.

And don't think that judgment isn't a big part of this. There's this alcoholic where I work. Every day, it seems, he's got some complaint about some athlete or celebrity.
"Did you see what Roenick said?"
"Did you see that Mike Illitch's son was picked up for solicitation"

It's always with some sort of righteous indignation that implies that "yeah, they might make millions of dollars a year. but they're no better than the rest of us."

Well, duh. If you didn't know that without sorry sacks like Kobe, OJ and whatever other athlete is doing something stupid, then I feel sorry for you.

It's like celebrities and their opinions.
On the politics board, people actually say that celebrities should shut up and not talk about Iraq.

No. The news media shouldn't report it. Or you shouldn't listen to it.

People seem so envious of celebrities and their status that they resent them.;
And that's exactly what I detect in a ton of the posts I read in here every day.

I was in Columbus for the World Cup exhibition game between Canada and the US.
Let me just say that I saw Gretzky and Chelios standing in the hotel lobby signing autographs for a line that looked an hour long.
They were playing for pride. They were giving back to the game. And they were making the kids happy.
Hardly to portrait of greed and idiocy that is being painted here.

At the end of the day, everyone is entitled to say whether or not a player should or should not make their money. That's part of sports.

But that's not my style (at least not in the framework of this CBA negotiation)

I enjoy watching the best hockey players in the world play the game.
I'll be glad to see them back at work.

It's just too bad that you guys will still be crying about their salaries even after the lockout is over.
Again, you dont get it. I'm not complaining about their salaries. I'm complaining about fanboys who when their hero does/says something stupid, they are out there defending the clown & the idiotic behaviour, That sir, is a fanboy, & surprisingly enough, Chelly is a Wing, says idiotic things & you defend them.
On another note, your blind devotion to your heros making a buck continually ignores the fact that owners, who risk there $$$, surely have a reasonable expectation to make a buck as well.The previous CBA apparently made that very difficult for that to occur for the vast majority of franchises, as history shows.Now hopefully its fixed, & you whine & did whine about a system that hopefully will make the league as a whole healthier. You are of the view it should be a one way way street,as you believe (likely accuratly) that it will adversly impact your beloved Wings your even more beloved players. That sir, is a fanboy.
Boo hoo.

Crazy_Ike

Cookin' with fire.
Mar 29, 2005
txomisc said:
Im still waiting for legitimate evidence of this Bettman PR plot against the players. Maybe some quotes where he strictly blames the players for all the leagues problems? Maybe one where he says the players didnt play exciting enough hockey for it to be popular? I dont know, there must be SOME evidence of this scandalous pr campain....

I think you'll be waiting forever. :D

Of course that doesn't mean it doesn't exist... in the vivid imagination of Chelios and his lackey in this thread.

:D

Sammy*

Montrealer said:
Totally new one for me!

I guess I will own up and apologize then. I truly tried to find some examples and was unable to (although I didn't really search hard..)

Gassed. Hmph.
Gassed is used all the time as a euphemisim for getting canned.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad