Chelios autobiography coming soon; first excerpt focuses on trade fallout

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Some here are too focused on him leaving. Guys leave, it's a business. Yeah, he said he would never play there, whatever, not that big of a deal.

**** him for:
- The 75th anniversary photo
- Flaunting his "Detroit-ness" IE: things like bringing the Cup to Cubs/Sox games to show off how he's better off now
Exactly this.

I have no problem with Chelios leaving or hating on the old man. Many did including fans but to show up for an anniversary photo shoot wearing another teams jersey...

**** off forever

Idiot could have own this town.

Last edited by a moderator:

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
I just don't see how people can not like Chelios and Hull for leaving. Chelios was traded, but even if he wasn't, so what. They're pro hockey players. They play for $. If someone offers us more $, we take the job. Same with them. Hull revolutionized and changed the game for the better. He was the first free agent and his presence enabled the WHA to survive. This led to higher salaries, eventual free agency in the NHL, European players, and European style offenses which lead to Gretzky and Messier's Oilers (who went from the WHA to the NHL) and other teams changing the way NHL hockey was played forever. This was all good stuff. :)

grateful1031

Oct 22, 2007
IL
Right after Cheli got traded to the Hawks they had a signing at Harper College. We got there a little late and Cheli had already finished signing. We took a back stairwell to go upstairs and lo and behold down the stairs came Chelios! He couldn't have been a nicer guy. He stopped and chatted with us for a good five minutes and he signed my hockey gloves and my brother's goalie blocker. It really left an impression on me. That's the wsy I remember Chris Chelios

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Good story, Cheli was always about the fans. He didn't try to hide either. I saw him at a couple Cubs games in the summers. He'd just be walking through the people, giving a few high fives, waiting in line for a beer like anyone else. Of course, who could possibly forget Cheli's Chilli. I wish that place was still there, I'd have spent thousands of hours and dollars there by now. That was a great hockey hangout and he'd often come to sign autographs after the game. He was a born Blackhawk. It's too bad the organization was run into the ground and all of this happened but I loved when he'd bring the Cup back to Chicago to rub everyone's nose in it.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Good story, Cheli was always about the fans. He didn't try to hide either. I saw him at a couple Cubs games in the summers. He'd just be walking through the people, giving a few high fives, waiting in line for a beer like anyone else. Of course, who could possibly forget Cheli's Chilli. I wish that place was still there, I'd have spent thousands of hours and dollars there by now. That was a great hockey hangout and he'd often come to sign autographs after the game. He was a born Blackhawk. It's too bad the organization was run into the ground and all of this happened but I loved when he'd bring the Cup back to Chicago to rub everyone's nose in it.

1418.gif

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
I just can't see how some of you don't get it. I'm not the type to care or question when someone became a fan, how much of a fan they were and how dedicated, but god damn, there is so much ignorance toward how disgusting this organization was. Don't say anything if you really weren't there like you are now. You should have watched Cheli with the Cup at Wrigley or wherever and taken your anger and frustrations out on the Blackhawks, not him. He was saying, "Get a good look at this thing because you'll never see it unless I bring it here and show it to you." And he was 100% right and everyone knew it.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Regardless of the circumstances, how do you think an ex-Bear would be received if he came back flaunting a Packers Super Bowl Ring, or an ex-Cub with a Cards World Series Ring, or an ex-Sox with a Tigers World Series ring?

I can get sticking it to the organization that treated you poorly, but I'd hardly call that something to get locals to rally around you on or to welcome you back with open arms.

And, again, I feel nothing towards Chelios. I wasn't a hockey fan back then, I couldn't care less if the team has a Chelios night or wants to retire his number. I can understand more longterm fans still hating him, though.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
I just can't see how some of you don't get it. I'm not the type to care or question when someone became a fan, how much of a fan they were and how dedicated, but god damn, there is so much ignorance toward how disgusting this organization was. Don't say anything if you really weren't there like you are now. You should have watched Cheli with the Cup at Wrigley or wherever and taken your anger and frustrations out on the Blackhawks, not him. He was saying, "Get a good look at this thing because you'll never see it unless I bring it here and show it to you." And he was 100% right and everyone knew it.

Dude, you said and I am quoting you here "Cheli was always about the fans." Then you say you loved it when he brought it back to rub "everyone's noses in it."

You don't see those comments as completely disparate?

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

So how exactly was taunting us with the cup doing us a favor? It was completely classless.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Dude, you said and I am quoting you here "Cheli was always about the fans." Then you say you loved it when he brought it back to rub "everyone's noses in it."

You don't see those comments as completely disparate?

Sometimes you need your nose rubbed in **** and that was needed for everyone in Chicago. What the organization was doing was not something that needed to be swept under the rug like they wanted it to be, like some of you are still doing now. Thankfully, people stopped going to games around this time. It didn't change the way they did business but it highlighted just how embarrassing the organ-I-zation was and that was always welcomed by me. Anyway you could do it, do it. Anything you can say, say it. Make it known how disgraceful they are, how pathetic they are. This was a Wolves town anyway, lol.

grateful1031

Oct 22, 2007
IL
That's not to say i didnt hate Chelios when he was on the Wings, cross-checking our boys in the small of the back, cuz i did! But, he was one of those players you loved on your team and despised on the other. To me, that's the sign of a truly great player.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
Sometimes you need your nose rubbed in **** and that was needed for everyone in Chicago. What the organization was doing was not something that needed to be swept under the rug like they wanted it to be, like some of you are still doing now. Thankfully, people stopped going to games around this time. It didn't change the way they did business but it highlighted just how embarrassing the organ-I-zation was and that was always welcomed by me. Anyway you could do it, do it. Anything you can say, say it. Make it known how disgraceful they are, how pathetic they are. This was a Wolves town anyway, lol.

Okay, that still doesn't explain you saying he was all about the fans when he treated them like ****.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

I can't see how YOU don't get it.

YOU. DON'T. ****ING. DO THAT. He's not "about the fans", he's about himself, showing off how he's better than everyone else.

It's called being a sore winner.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
In what way did he treat the fans like ****? Chelios is the most fan friendly player I have ever encountered in my time as a sports fan here. He did things others just didn't do. I still see it in some of you now, all about the company, all about the what they want to tell you and repeat to the world. **** em. And that's what Chelios was doing there, reminding people like you to flip them off for creating such a ****ed up situation. But go ahead, go visit your buddy old man Wirtz's grave.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
That's not to say i didnt hate Chelios when he was on the Wings, cross-checking our boys in the small of the back, cuz i did! But, he was one of those players you loved on your team and despised on the other. To me, that's the sign of a truly great player.
A. J. Pierzinski must be truly great. ;) Chris played an old school style, but before Gretzky/the merger everyone played that way in the NHL. Gordie is probably the dirtiest player I ever saw and that includes the Broad Street Bullies!

Last edited:

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
In what way did he treat the fans like ****? Chelios is the most fan friendly player I have ever encountered in my time as a sports fan here. He did things others just didn't do. I still see it in some of you now, all about the company, all about the what they want to tell you and repeat to the world. **** em. And that's what Chelios was doing there, reminding people like you to flip them off for creating such a ****ed up situation. But go ahead, go visit your buddy old man Wirtz's grave.

You're all over the place right now. I have lost track of what point you are trying to make to be honest.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
We. Just. TOLD YOU!

By showing us a trophy the organization had no interest in competing for? It's just so disgusting that you guys would want that EVER swept under rug but not surprising in the least. Suits before all else, from birth to death. It's repugnant.

grateful1031

Oct 22, 2007
IL
A. J. Pierzinski must be truly great. ;) Chris played an old school style, but before Gretzky/the merger everyone played that way in the NHL. Gordie is probably the dirtiest player I ever saw and that includes the Broadway Bullies!

Not sure AJ was great, but i doubt the Sox win the WS without him

Old time hockey! Eddie Shore;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad