Chelios autobiography coming soon; first excerpt focuses on trade fallout

hisgirlfriday

Jun 9, 2013
Came across the article and thought I'd post for anyone interested. Whether you like the guy or not at this point, I think there are some interesting insights about that time and also what it was like to play for Scotty Bowman.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/nhl/red-wings/2014/10/11/chris-chelios-book-excerpt/17127053/

I had famously said once in a television interview that I would never play for the Detroit Red Wings.

I meant it when I said it. That's how deep the rivalry was between the Chicago Blackhawks and the Red Wings.

When I settled into my hotel room after being traded to Detroit — on March 23, 1999 — that interview was being played on the local news. I'm sure it was played over and over in Chicago. Blackhawks fans remember that interview and never forgave me for agreeing to play for the Wings.

I'm not sure I can really blame them.

[...]

Although it was definitely strange to see myself on television highlights wearing a Wings jersey, I knew that eventually the feeling would pass and I could get back to just being a hockey player.

The worst night came on the last night of the regular season when I played my first game for the Wings in Chicago's United Center.

The fans booed me every time I touched the puck. I know I should have expected that reaction, but to be honest it was unnerving. That was when I realized the depth of anger the Chicago fans had worked up for me. They saw me as a traitor.

Bowman didn't put me on the ice much after the first period. Finally, he told me to leave the bench and go hang out with Michael Jordan, who had come to the game to see me.

"All you are doing is getting the crowd into the game," Scotty said.

Per Scotty's instructions, I dressed and watched the third period with Jordan in a suite. My old team wound up beating my new team, 3-2.

Jordan had my back, telling everyone, "I'm not here for the Blackhawks. I'm here for Chris Chelios. I don't like how they treated him."

That was nice of MJ to say, but as I mentioned, I didn't have any ill will toward the Hawks.

[...]

If there was one misconception I wish I could have cleared up at that time, it was that moving from the Hawks to the Wings was easy for me. I think some people thought I didn't care which jersey I pulled on, that I just packed up my gear and went about my life like I had just changed a pair of socks. That couldn't have been further from the truth.

That summer was the worst summer of training I ever had during my NHL career. I didn't start to feel normal again until just before camp, after I had gotten my family settled in the Detroit area. Even then, I looked at Detroit as a temporary stop, just a place to pass through until I could return to Chicago. It seemed inevitable that I would be working for the Hawks organization when I was done playing.

As it turned out, neither general manager Bob Murray nor I was around for the Blackhawks' rebuilding effort, one that took much longer than anticipated. He was fired eight months after I left, with Bob Pulford returning to his former job as general manager. The Blackhawks only made one playoff appearance between 1998 and 2008.

Never in a million years would I have thought that I would play longer in Detroit than I played in Chicago.

There's also a second book excerpt that has very little to do with Chicago except some more Michael Jordan namedropping at the beginning of it: http://www.freep.com/story/sports/n...ngs-chris-chelios-book-excerpt-team/17175845/

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Excerpt from Verdis interview..

Chelios won his second and third Stanley Cups with the Red Wings, where he now serves in an executive capacity. In December 2010, after Chelios finally retired (we think), the Blackhawks honored him with a Heritage Night. Chelios again heard some catcalls, and he says, “Frankly, I was saddened by the lack of forgiveness.†He felt embarrassed for his family, at least until he glanced toward daughter Caley nearby on the ice. She was “actually laughing her head off.â€

blackhawks.nhl.com

One of his final gestures to the Blackhawks teammates, city and organization...

Fullscreen-capture-9252010-83554-PM.jpg

Cant understand why he decided to wear the Blackhawk sweater again on his heritage night. Cya.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I do feel ambivalent about my dislike for Chelios. He deserves our wrath, but it's weird that it came to this after all those great years.

Nothingman*

That picture just doesn't let me forgive him. He is just a ****** supreme.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Meh, I'll readily admit that he was before my time as a fan (thanks for not letting games be on TV, Bill), so I don't feel anything towards Chelios, really. While I can't fault anybody for wanting to leave the old regime, I can understand fan hatred towards him solely for the photo, though.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Chelios was an awesome player. Him and JR were my favorite Hawks from that era. But as he said in the quotes above - I look at him as a traitor. He made his bed and now he can lie in it.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Chelios was an awesome player. Him and JR were my favorite Hawks from that era. But as he said in the quotes above - I look at him as a traitor. He made his bed and now he can lie in it.

They traded everyone away one by one because they knew they weren't going to pay them. It's on the Hawks, nobody else. He didn't handle it the best afterward but the initial actions of the organization precipitated the mess aftward.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
So what you meant to say was **** the Blackhawks AND Chelios.

No, I don't really care about follow ups in anything. You do something like the Hawks did, you shouldn't know what to expect in response. You slap me in the face and I knock all of your teeth out in response to that, all that needs to be talked about is the slap. The retaliation is a small footnote as far as I am concerned. The Hawks opened that door. It's too bad nobody liked what was on the other side but what can you do.

Elvis P

You ain't nothin but a hound dog
Dec 10, 2007
Graceland
They traded everyone away one by one because they knew they weren't going to pay them. It's on the Hawks, nobody else. He didn't handle it the best afterward but the initial actions of the organization precipitated the mess aftward.
Agreed. It's similar to Moisés Alou's childish reaction having a lot to do with what happened to Steve Bartman.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Agreed. It's similar to Moisés Alou's childish reaction having a lot do with what happened to Steve Bartman.

Yeah, nobody saw fan interference the way they do today before he did that. I agree with you on that. O's fans didn't give a **** about Jeffrey Maier and that was worse than Bartman.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad