CHED secures radio rights for the next 6 years

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I like this news for one reason only.

The CHED signal carries much further than TSN's signal because CHED transmits at a lower frequency. (630 khz as opposed to 1260 khz)

The TSN signal is junk about 100 kms out of the city.

For people like me who live a few hours away from Edmonton this is great news.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Michaels and Stauffer are Oilers (not CORUS) employees so they would most likely still be the radio broadcast team no matter who the rightsholder station is.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg

The CHED signal carries much further than TSN's signal because CHED transmits at a lower frequency. (630 khz as opposed to 1260 khz)

I'd say two reasons: there was no chance the Oilers would be putting their home games in ROGERS Center on TSN radio.

Oiluvit

Jun 4, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta
Michaels and Stauffer are Oilers (not CORUS) employees so they would most likely still be the radio broadcast team no matter who the rightsholder station is.

I guess you are right and that we are probably stuck with these two.

Do Tier One customers ever get asked about how they feel about the broadcast team? I know I've never been asked. So I wonder if there is any room for constructive criticism -perhaps some room for coaching here?

Jack: I could use less manufactured sizzle applied to the call and more indication that you are emotionally invested in the fortunes of the team. The artificial voice-inflected excitement just isn't the same thing. Its not believable. And I know it must be tough to share a booth with Stauffer without it seeming like you have to prove that you know a lot of trivia too, but the blather of one-up-manship makes for bad radio.

Bob: It has never bothered me that you might or might not be a "Katz jock-sniffer" to quote a phrase in this thread. In fact, I like that you might have some inside info; it fuels the long months of hope. But, why must your commentary sound like we are being talked at rather than spoken to? It seems the subtext of every insight, the real message, is that besides being connected, you see yourself as smart and that you have a powerful memory for detail and like to show it off. I seldom care who was the room mate of whom at the U of A or Southside Athletic Club. I care less that you know. Its actually not about you Bob, I'd prefer to listen to a conversation between well-informed fans and less self pleasuring. And you are driving your broadcast mates into trying to compete for on-air brain power. My god the few minutes of the draft broadcast I had to listen to because I was driving was just about un-bearable.

As for CHED being the rights holder, I can see why the Oilers like CHED's signal reach. I am hopeful the game broadcasts can improve and the only other comment I have is that I seldom seem to hit Bob's daytime show for more than a few seconds before being interrupted by a string of commercials followed by Eileen Bell. It was annoying at first but it does provide a nice breather from Bob's know-it-all-fest. I usually end up on the other station before long.

Hope this helps boys because I really really want to love the broadcast the way I did Rod Philips'. Big shoes to fill and you have a long long ways to go but I think we are all rooting for you especially since it seems unlikely we can do anything about you.

Last edited:

FunkyChicken

Jul 24, 2003
Do Tier One customers ever get asked about how they feel about the broadcast team? I know I've never been asked.

If you have to ask the answer is no. Tier One customers are expected to be at the game, not listening to it.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I guess you are right and that we are probably stuck with these two.

Do Tier One customers ever get asked about how they feel about the broadcast team? I know I've never been asked. So I wonder if there is any room for constructive criticism -perhaps some room for coaching here?

Jack: I could use less manufactured sizzle applied to the call and more indication that you are emotionally invested in the fortunes of the team. The artificial voice-inflected excitement just isn't the same thing. Its not believable. And I know it must be tough to share a booth with Stauffer without it seeming like you have to prove that you know a lot of trivia too, but the blather of one-up-manship makes for bad radio.

I think that the "manufactured sizzle" term is unfair to Jack. I think he has to manufacture it due to the team's circumstance. Has he called a single meaningful game in his four seasons doing Oilers play-by-play? I think if the team ever made the playoffs, he would shine.

Playa Hejda

Oct 9, 2013
#yeg
If you have to ask the answer is no. Tier One customers are expected to be at the game, not listening to it.

A good number of oldsters like to listen to their radios during the game. Maybe it's a good way for the Oilers to reach out to their tier 1's with money AND time on their hands.

abootzky

Jun 15, 2007
Jack Michaels' biggest issue as a radio game-caller is that he's actually a television broadcaster. This became evident last season the night Sportsnet's Kevin Quinn came down with a sudden illness and Jack moved over to the TV booth. With the cameras providing visuals to fill in the numerous trivia-filled gaps, JM seemed to be doing a fine job. I say have him take Quinn's job permanently and slide Corey Graham over from the Oil Kings to team with his old pal Stauffer.

Farmboy

Jan 23, 2006
Big announcement today! I heard that Tim Hortons will be advertising on the rink boards in the 2014-2015 Oilers season. Patrick LaForge will hold a press conference at 2:00 p.m.

Oiluvit

Jun 4, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta
Jack Michaels' biggest issue as a radio game-caller is that he's actually a television broadcaster. This became evident last season the night Sportsnet's Kevin Quinn came down with a sudden illness and Jack moved over to the TV booth. With the cameras providing visuals to fill in the numerous trivia-filled gaps, JM seemed to be doing a fine job. I say have him take Quinn's job permanently and slide Corey Graham over from the Oil Kings to team with his old pal Stauffer.

Jeez, you know, you might be right! I remember that game and thinking at the time, I like Jack's presentation a lot more in this venue.

Further as I recall, Bob did radio play by play and I found I liked him more in that role too. Probably less time to thrill us with his knowledge. I forget who did colour but whoever it was it was a pretty good combination.

Oct 15, 2008
I think that the "manufactured sizzle" term is unfair to Jack. I think he has to manufacture it due to the team's circumstance. Has he called a single meaningful game in his four seasons doing Oilers play-by-play? I think if the team ever made the playoffs, he would shine.

He tells stories instead of calling the play while the game is on.

That's crap. I dont tune in to listen to his stupid stories. I want to know what is happening in the game. Period.

Oiluvit

Jun 4, 2004
Edmonton, Alberta

That's crap. I dont tune in to listen to his stupid stories. I want to know what is happening in the game. Period.

And if you listen closely Liquor, the point of the story is usually nothing more than to demonstrate he knows lots of things in detail too, just like Bob. If he doesn't get the story in while the play is running, he won't get the chance.

Do you ever find yourself in front of the radio waving your arms hoping to get their attention so they remember we are out trying to hear a hockey game? I do that.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
Too bad Rod Phillips had to get old and retire. He was absolutely awesome to listen to in his prime.

TheBusDriver

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ
Aug 25, 2009
Edmonton

Id say the vast majority of PBP guys, TV and Radio, Hockey and other sports, do tell some short stories during lulls in the game.

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
Id say the vast majority of PBP guys, TV and Radio, Hockey and other sports, do tell some short stories during lulls in the game.

The problem is Jack Michaels tells his stories while the game is going on leaving the listener clueless as to what's actually happening.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

It's more the broadcast pattern than the frequency. I know what you mean by CFRN's signal being junk even as close as Red Deer. Some nights there's nothing on 1260 except for some country station in Idaho (or some other state as I've never caught the call letters). But I can hear the Spokane Chiefs games a fair number of nights on 1530 and KGA Sacramento makes it up here on 1510, sometimes as loud and clear as a local station.

Unfortunately, I can't find the night time pattern anywhere.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
I'd say two reasons: there was no chance the Oilers would be putting their home games in ROGERS Center on TSN radio.

I wouldn't be surprised if SportsNet was to announce a radio channel for Edmonton a year or so prior to the expiration of this current deal with CHED.

Acquisition of the radio rights to follow soon after.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
It's more the broadcast pattern than the frequency. I know what you mean by CFRN's signal being junk even as close as Red Deer. Some nights there's nothing on 1260 except for some country station in Idaho (or some other state as I've never caught the call letters). But I can hear the Spokane Chiefs games a fair number of nights on 1530 and KGA Sacramento makes it up here on 1510, sometimes as loud and clear as a local station.

Unfortunately, I can't find the night time pattern anywhere.

Here is a an older post from another thread which might be of interest.

It might help explain your experience picking up the Chiefs games at night...

Your Kelowna experience is because of atmospheric changes in the ionosphere that happen at night allowing signals to travel much farther.
Many stations in Canada (including CHED) are mandated by the CRTC to cut their signal strength just before nightfall due to this phenomena. Thats why (if you are far enough away from the transmitting tower) you can be listening to a hockey game in your car and at around sunset the signal becomes weaker and the game may sound much more fuzzy.

In any event I believe 50 kW is still the max broadcast power for any AM station in Canada.
Also (IIRC from my Telecommunications studies) the lower the frequency...the longer the radio wave. So the lower the station is on the AM band the longer the signal will carry.

So if both 630 CHED and 1260 are running 50kW (max) transmissions (which I believe they are) then CHED's range will always be far superior to that of the TEAM1260.

Back before the mid 90's the Oiler games were carried by CFRN1260 and I could never hope to hear the broadcast in my car in Southern Alberta. I was elated when 630CHED got the broadcast rights because that allowed me to hear Oiler info pretty much anywhere in Southern Alberta. The broadcast range for CHED is just so much more superior.

If 1260 does become TSN radio and they do get the broadcast rights for Oiler games it will be a sad day for many rural (and Southern Alberta) Oiler fans as 90% of the provincial coverage will be gone (Streaming audio aside) unless they employ satellite stations around the province which is pretty unlikely.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I wouldn't be surprised if SportsNet was to announce a radio channel for Edmonton a year or so prior to the expiration of this current deal with CHED.

Acquisition of the radio rights to follow soon after.

They might have to. TSN will make a huge push for the rights in 2020 (TV and radio expires same year) and in order to compete Rogers might need to include radio in their pitch.

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
They might have to. TSN will make a huge push for the rights in 2020 (TV and radio expires same year) and in order to compete Rogers might need to include radio in their pitch.

NHL TV rights don't expire on til 2026.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I think he means Oilers TV and radio rights are both up 2020.

I have a feeling TSN will end up with the rights to all Canadian teams local broadcast contracts. They really aren't going to have much of choice, but to go hard for them all.

Alberta

Jul 20, 2005
I have a feeling TSN will end up with the rights to all Canadian teams local broadcast contracts. They really aren't going to have much of choice, but to go hard for them all.

I agree. They paid $34 million for Ottawa's rights which is much more than the Oilers, Jets or Flames make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad