Post-Game Talk: Checkmate! Leafs topple Kings 3-2

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
Yeah let's keep Marner on the fourth line even though JVR and Bozak are 1. Worst defensively, 2. Probably wont be here long term.

I'd rather our budding star get real top 6 minutes.

He's still on the #1 pp. His minutes are not that much different to that of the "second line".

It's OK for now.

Willchel Marlynder

(philer bozel)
Jul 15, 2010
Windsor, ON
Bozak doesn't have to carry Hyman offensively - the other winger along with Bozak provide offense; remember a lof folks thought Bozak's production would drop without Kessel and it didn't.
The problem (as I see it) isn't that Bozak can't carry Hyman, the problem is that Bozak can't carry JVR, he can barely carry himself defensively, so, that's why I'm wondering how he might do with a grinder style winger that can play defense.

I line of Hyman-Bozak-Brown anyone is a horrible line interms of offense no matter who is there (Maybe Maathews coukd save that line , maybe). Hyman-Bozak-Brown might be a solid energy line though.

He's still on the #1 pp. His minutes are not that much different to that of the "second line".

It's OK for now.

If it goes longer than 10 games theres a problem.

Last edited:

Welsh Maple Leaf

Jan 9, 2017
Martin, Marner, Moore and Borgman looked good. Thought Polak was decent on his return.

4 lines capable of scoring at the moment - always exciting.

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Its a strange stance for Babcock to take on Leivo. He actually looked fine in pre defensively.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Leivo looks like he could be a poor man's JVR, not sure why he doesn't have a role on this team even in rotation.

Black hat blue eyes

Jul 21, 2015
Yeah let's keep Marner on the fourth line even though JVR and Bozak are 1. Worst defensively, 2. Probably wont be here long term.

I'd rather our budding star get real top 6 minutes.

The issue as I see it. I don't want Marner anywhere near blozak and jvr. These are 2 vets who are unlikely to find a new defensive level. I believe that might be hurting Marners development. I'd rather Marner on the fourth line and make Martin look like the second coming of Bobby Orr ( just being funny). Once 1 or both are traded ( Bozak and jvr I mean) I'd reform a line starting with Marner and marleau with brown going back to the Kadri line. Marleau and Marner can split center duties until we can get a more permanent centerman. Marleau can handle the centerman duties and split f/o with Marner. Add another winger du jour.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
don't get me wrong. i'd love to get some more polish up there too, but i think especially how Pittsburgh won their cup and maybe even Carolina (though that's going back really far) - you don't really NEED the sexy guy. you just need the entire five man unit to commit. and that's just as strong/powerful as a stud who can play 28+ minutes imo.

When our boys are good there really good, when there not it can be some tough viewing, the question is how do we get them to be better more consistently?, we also need that bottom pair to help take some pressure off the top 4 which is still a question mark as yet

Babcock is probably asking the same questions

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Ideally, we just get rid of Bozak and shuffle JVR somewhere into the lineup in a mix and match situation. Maybe even nominally break up the fourth line and create 4 scoring lines that can push the pace and see what happens. In any case, the ghost of that Bozak, JVR, Kessel line needs to be put to bed.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
I line of Hyman-Bozak-Brown anyone is a horrible line interms of offense no matter who is there (Maybe Maathews coukd save that line , maybe). Hyman-Bozak-Brown might be a solid energy line though.

If it goes longer than 10 games theres a problem.
Not if they go 8-2 and they play like they did last night. Wins are more important than the player you want playing wherever. It's a long season. He could move 3 more times but there is no need when we are winning like that.

Commander Clueless

Hiya, hiya. Pleased to meetcha.
Sep 10, 2008
Great bounce back from Marner, and Matt Martin really seems to shine when the game gets physical. Makes me wonder if he would be a better fit in the West.

Kings are a tough team, and they can play.

I think Babcock tightened things up, but there's still a lot of work to do. I had high hopes for Carrick, but honestly I feel better with Polak in that spot right now (as sad as that may be). Borgman is looking like a great acquisition so far.

From an HFBoards perspective, this is why I dread Leaf winning streaks. Why can't we just enjoy a win and a great start to the season? But no, some of our fans gotta go start shit and we get hit with the "67", "plan the parade", "worst fanbase" comments. Great.

Just for once, let's take the high road? Please?

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
i don't know why that would embarrass you.
and the way the sens played was boring. the leafs could have won and i'd still say it was boring.

It's embarrassing that it's fans of the same team I hold dear acting like children as they complain about a style of hockey completely within the rules of the game, simply because we lost against it.

Curious...you found it "boring"? Would you have also found it boring in '93 when under Pat Burns, we too played a conservative style that saw us reach the quarter finals...twice?

Last edited:
Reactions: Canadian Finn

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
It's embarrassing that it's fans of the same team I hold dear acting like children as they complain about a style of hockey completely within the rules of the game, simply because we lost against it.

Curious...you found it "boring"? Would you have also found it boring in '93 when under Pat Burns, we too played a conservative style that saw us reach the quarter finals...twice?

A lot of people don't like strategic or cerebral hockey. I happen to be OK with it but obviously high flying is more exciting. Would be happy if Babcock got us playing the style a few games a year.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
A lot of people don't like strategic or cerebral hockey. I happen to be OK with it but obviously high flying is more exciting. Would be happy if Babcock got us playing the style a few games a year.

Hey, I hated the game as well and I kicked my own tire after the fact.

Heck you may catch me barkin in a few of our post game threads out of anger or frustration.

I'm not gonna make a thread in general complaining about a style of hockey our team lost too...

I don't know of any other fan base that does that except us! And we are better than that. I hold us to a high standard as an original 6 100 year history team.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

i wasn't a fan in 93.so i truthfully couldn't tell you.

I want to make it clear. i don't mind "chess-style" hockey. i love a really good, close 1-0 game.
I can't speak for everyone - the fact that we lost - didn't make it "boring" the fact that it was boring made it boring.

that style of play was boring. it was boring last night it will be boring next week, it was boring when they were in the ECF, and it was boring when Boucher coached Tampa. it was also boring when the Devils did it. is it within the rules. sure, can there be entertainment moments within that? of course. can you generate goals off it - naturally, just ask Ottawa. is it entertaining? 100 percent not.

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
i wasn't a fan in 93.so i truthfully couldn't tell you.

I want to make it clear. i don't mind "chess-style" hockey. i love a really good, close 1-0 game.
I can't speak for everyone - the fact that we lost - didn't make it "boring" the fact that it was boring made it boring.

that style of play was boring. it was boring last night it will be boring next week, it was boring when they were in the ECF, and it was boring when Boucher coached Tampa. it was also boring when the Devils did it. is it within the rules. sure, can there be entertainment moments within that? of course. can you generate goals off it - naturally, just ask Ottawa. is it entertaining? 100 percent not.

Would it be "boring" if that was how we played?

I can answer that for you.

It wasn't in '93, it wouldn't be now.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009

yes. it would be boring i mean i won't talk for anyone else, but it would be heck of a lot boring if we played a 1-3-1 system.
just because you don't think so/feel that way doesn't mean a lot of people would. i've been saying since saturday had we won - i'd be saying the same thing. the Leafs were lulled into playing a boring game.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
i don't know why that would embarrass you.
and the way the sens played was boring. the leafs could have won and i'd still say it was boring.

It's still not a good look, it comes off as sour grapes

Even though the Sens are painful to watch

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

They scored more in '93 than they do now.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
Here's what you should do. Start a Leaf Fan council. Make sure you elect a few representatives of the fan base that can represent the views and thoughts that YOU share.

Problem solved. No more rampant Leaf fan. No more "embarrassing" comments. Control them at the top. No more various opinions or acting like you want them to.

If they don't listen to the rules of this counsel? Well that's up to your elected officials to decide.

You know what's even more embarrassing? Thinking you needed to apologise for other peoples actions.
I apologized? Doesn't look like I did. Keep pretending like this fanbase doesn't troll hard. You've been here long enough to know it happens. You should start a council on checking your unnecessary sarcastic attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad