Prospect Info: Chase Stillman (#29 overall)

FinnishDevil

Dec 6, 2013
Finland
Dont hate the pick at all despite him being the kind of pick that no one really expected just like Muk. Hopefully he turns into a nice middle 6 piece, every team needs those. Brings some size and apparently plays bigger than his frame. Its probably a reach due to us not having a 2nd rounder, but no reason to hate this really. Gotta trust Fitz and the scouts and I atleast do. Welcome Chase.

justHypnos

May 4, 2011
Montreal
I like this player from the sounds of it. at #29 i think you should go for highest probability of making the NHL and in my opinion that means D at this point but we already have too many left D prospects so this is understandable. sounds like a smaller Bastian, hopefully a bit more offensive acumen!

Reactions: Lou is God

RememberTheName

Conductor of the Schmid Bandwagon
Jan 5, 2016
On Earth
I was a little bit rash looking at the pick at first given that I have some guys that I really really like still available. I think passing on Pinelli is absolutely criminal and I feel similarly for guys like Poltapov, Chibrikov, Tuomaala, and Morrow.

That being said, I found that ranking Stillman this year was quite difficult. He played in the Danish U20 league where I saw 0 of his games and played in the U18s where I saw him play 4 times. Because of this, I feel that no one's report on Chase Stillman can truly be complete. I will give a couple reasons to be excited about this kid. First off, this kid is a freight train that plays WAY bigger than his size. If he moves, he's gonna hit it. He is arguably the best hitter in the draft, and he plays with a serious edge and loves to get under the opponent's skin (he models his game after the Tkachuks). At the U18s, he played a bit more conservative offensively than I remember him as, even if I had only seen little bits and pieces of prior seasons. This might have been because of his role on the team and his lack of playing time during the season. He is a very good skater that moves up and down the ice very quickly, and he has shown the ability to use his hands to create offense for himself and his linemates, something you might not expect out of a kid like him. He has decent vision and often tries to send pucks towards the middle of the ice for high danger scoring chances, even if some of them don't work out. He has a real ripper of a shot that he likes to keep low, and does a good job of utilizing this shot off the rush and after beating a defender. He is an awesome net-front presence, as he does an awesome job at screening the goalie and positioning himself for tips out in front. His agility makes him versatile when working around the net, as it helps him recover the puck in front even if he spots it on the other side of the net. Thus, he will always be useful as a net front guy on the powerplay and for his physical presence in a third line type of role. He's a hard kid to judge based off the U18s because it was clear he was being held back a little from playing a bit more offensively. Last year, he flashed some seriously impressive puck handling skills that a power forward should not have. His offensive game could have really taken strides in the OHL this year if it wasn't for the pandemic. It is still a bit raw. He struggles a little bit with consistency in his offensive game and consistency with his passing. I would like to see strides in both of those areas for him to really become an impact player and to really create more offense in the offensive zone in general.

As I said, it is hard to judge a player like Stillman based off what he showed this year, because what he showed was in a limited role-playing as a physical presence for team Canada. That being said, he showed flashes of the offense he could potentially produce at the next level. If we had seen him play a full OHL season, there's a chance he would've impressed so much that he would have been a consensus first-rounder, but alas. Chase Stillman fills a great need for the Devils in the physical presence department at forward. His physical presence is a nightmare for other teams to have to go against, and if he is able to develop his offensive skills to couple with this, he has the chance to be a real great top 6 power forward that can serve as an all situations net-front presence for tipping pucks and screening the goalie and who can excel using his impressive speed and hands making things happen in transition. At the bare minimum, if his offense does not take these strides, I think he will excel in a physical bottom 6 role playing extremely physical and causing havoc for opposing top lines.

Although he may not be the guy some people (like myself) expected, there is no doubt that Chase Stillman has the potential to be a great piece going forward and we should all be excited for what Stillman has to bring to the organization.

Last edited:

beekay414

#FireEveryone
Jul 1, 2016
Milwaukee, WI
EP's Scouting Report on Stillman

SCOUTING REPORT
Chase Stillman opened our eyes at the U18s. His underage year brought its fair share of
promise, but without seeing actual growth in his game, without seeing him against highlevel
competition -- something the Junior league of Denmark couldn’t offer -- we lacked the
necessary ammunition to propel him up our board.

The U18 answered most of our questions about his play and more. Alongside Wyatt Johnston, he
thrived on what looked like a checking line for Team Canada.

Call it motor or energy or engagement or drive -- Stillman has it. He is willing to go above and
beyond, willing to play whatever role needed to the maximum of his ability to give his team the
win. Every game for him, you saw constant pressure on the forecheck, constant pressure on
the backcheck, and rapid close-outs in the defensive zone -- and speed, more speed than we
remembered from the previous OHL season. There are better skaters than Stillman in the draft,
but few who move with the same energy. The Sudbury Wolves forward finished with one of the
best expected goals and offensive-zone retrievals per 60 at the tournament.

“What I like is that Stillman makes smart decisions on the ice whether he has the puck or not,”
OHL regional scout Lauren Kelly said of Stillman in a U18 game report. “He knows when to go
after to try and retrieve it, and will head to the best areas of the ice to get a scoring chance off.
Whatever the play requires of him, Stillman will make sure it gets done, whether it’s getting in
on the forecheck, coming back to help his defenders out, or parking himself in the slot.”

Stillman also proved his playmaking mettle at the event. One sequence, in particular, stayed
with our group. He drove the net and signalled to his linemate retrieving the puck on the wall,
that he was open for a pass. The puck came to him, but sensing the defender on his back,
Stillman instantly redirected the puck between his legs to defenceman Ollen Zellwer arriving a
few steps late for a great scoring chance.

There were a few other similar one- or two-touch passes from the Sudbury forward. His mental
map of teammates’ position and his ability to squeak the puck in tight seams were among the
best at the tournament.

A lack of dynamic offensive qualities or coordination of handling and skating techniques --
most of Stillman’s best offensive plays are made in glides -- will probably keep the forward from
attaining a top-line or even top-six spot in the NHL. The most likely optimistic outcome for him
is middle-six, complementary winger but Stillman still represents both a safe pick, due to his
motor, pace, and defensive engagement, and one with upside.

|There are probably more skills in his kit than he managed to show in the shortened season.
He flashed small-area plays at the tournament; abilities to hold pucks under pressure, keep his
back to defenders, and use the momentum of their speed away, and attack in between the dots.
Creators from the walls and net drivers who can also connect plays in transition are valuable in
the NHL. Supported by the right development team, Stillman could learn to fill such a role.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
I like the pick. Raty or Pastujov would've been nice window dressing, but this is a kid who's game is likely suited for a role even if the top-6 is occupied with our current core of players, prospects, or future acquisitions. Not sure the same would be possible for the latter players. We need to get tougher to play against, as cliche as it is. We saw the impact the BMW line had with their energy. As well as players like Coleman.

Also, it's nice to get some right-handed forwards in the system. We only have McLeod currently on the roster, but now have Mercer and Stillman who may also play center, and some offensive threats on the wing with Holtz and Clarke.

Blackjack

Feb 13, 2003
keyjhboardd +bro]ke
Visit site
EP's Scouting Report on Stillman

A lack of dynamic offensive qualities or coordination of handling and skating techniques --
most of Stillman’s best offensive plays are made in glides -- will probably keep the forward from
attaining a top-line or even top-six spot in the NHL.
The most likely optimistic outcome for him
is middle-six, complementary winger but Stillman still represents both a safe pick, due to his

cool

Reactions: Hockey Sports Fan

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I miss the memo that it was retro night with David Conte making this pick?

On the one hand I get the whole 'this is just like the Matteau and Quenneville picks, reach for a guy with bloodlines late in the first' criticism. On the other hand this IS a new scouting department, while Fitz clearly has some Lou-like philosophies, I would hope that a different (and more well-funded) scouting department will keep us in the 2020's draft-wise.

Plus as has been said multiple times, the 'consensus rankings' are pretty well useless for predicting who goes where after 20 in a normal draft, much less this year which is the most stab in the dark type draft we've seen since GM's literally were drafting off of Central Scouting.

GeNeXt

Jul 5, 2012
"A lack of dynamic offensive qualities or coordination of handling and skating techniques --
attaining a top-line or even top-six spot in the NHL. The most likely optimistic outcome for him
"

cool

Bolded the second part for you. Regardless, this draft is seen as really weak and a wildcard. There's a reason why so many first round picks were tossed around like candy today. The Devils got a guy they want, and likely see a need/fit for. I'll trust scouts who've seen the kid play and have a better feel than myself.

Devs3cups

Wind of Change
Sponsor
May 8, 2010
Like the pick here. Especially when there is a pretty decent change we'll be able to grab a guy like Svozil tomorrow if he keeps falling. Maybe even find a way to get in the 2nd. I trust Fitz.

Devils731

Jun 23, 2008
On the one hand I get the whole 'this is just like the Matteau and Quenneville picks, reach for a guy with bloodlines late in the first' criticism. On the other hand this IS a new scouting department, while Fitz clearly has some Lou-like philosophies, I would hope that a different (and more well-funded) scouting department will keep us in the 2020's draft-wise.

Plus as has been said multiple times, the 'consensus rankings' are pretty well useless after 20 in a normal draft, much less this year which is the most stab in the dark type draft we've seen since GM's literally were drafting off of Central Scouting.

As a Matteau/Quenville comparison. Different league, different years, etc…

Matteau D+1 in juniors was 0.80 points per game.

Quenville D-1 in juniors was 0.40 points per game.

Stillman D-1 in juniors was 0.59 points per game.

————-

So Stillman seems ahead of both their scoring rates by some amount.

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020

Plus as has been said multiple times, the 'consensus rankings' are pretty well useless for predicting who goes where after 20 in a normal draft, much less this year which is the most stab in the dark type draft we've seen since GM's literally were drafting off of Central Scouting.

I wouldn’t disagree if the guy was ranked high but he was rated a late second and early third everywhere, I’m not gonna be sour over the pick but this type of safe pick is one of the reasons we’ve been wandering the rebuilding wilderness for a decade almost. Swing for the fences on potential, it’s your second first rounder, bank that your player development can salvage a prospect.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I loved Ridly Greig last year. Am I off @StevenToddIves by thinking Stillman is in the same mold, just a different hand shot?

Stillman is more physical than Greig. The kid is a beast, a high-compete forechecking, crease-crashing demon. It's a terrific pick. Stillman was in the ballpark of best player available, while filling a desperate organizational need for a middle-six, true power forward. I really love this pick.

I was at work so I could not follow as much as I'd like, but my hope was for either Lambos (who could be the best defenseman in the entire 2021 draft) or L'Heureux (who could be the next Claude Lemieux) to fall to the Devils at #29.

When both players were drafted, Stillman was on my short list of players I wanted at #29. When the Devils took him, I was thrilled. Will Chase Stillman ever score 40 goals or 90 points? No. But this is not a draft loaded with high-upside forwards -- top 10 Fs like Beniers and Eklund might never be PPG guys, while #6 overall D Simon Edvinsson might never be a 40-point guy. It's a weird draft. Chase Stillman offers a high floor as a 20-20-40 power winger who drops the mitts to stand up for teammates, creates havoc in the crease and wins battles down low. At #29 overall in a thinner draft year, I'm thrilled with the pick.

StevenToddIves

May 18, 2013
Brooklyn, NY
I was a little bit rash looking at the pick at first given that I have some guys that I really really like still available. I think passing on Pinelli is absolutely criminal and I feel similarly for guys like Poltapov, Chibrikov, Tuomaala, and Morrow.

That being said, I found that ranking Stillman this year was quite difficult. He played in the Danish U20 league where I saw 0 of his games and played in the U18s where I saw him play 4 times. Because of this, I feel that no one's report on Chase Stillman can truly be complete. I will give a couple reasons to be excited about this kid. First off, this kid is a freight train that plays WAY bigger than his size. If he moves, he's gonna hit it. He is arguably the best hitter in the draft, and he plays with a serious edge and loves to get under the opponent's skin (he models his game after the Tkachuks). At the U18s, he played a bit more conservative offensively than I remember him as, even if I had only seen little bits and pieces. This might have been because of his role on the team and his lack of playing time during the season. He is a very good skater that moves up and down the ice very quickly, and he has shown the ability to use his hands to create offense for himself and his linemates, something you might not expect out of a kid like him. He has decent vision and often tries to send pucks towards the middle of the ice for high danger scoring chances, even if some of them don't work out. He has a real ripper of a shot that he likes to keep low, and does a good job of utilizing this shot off the rush and after beating a defender. He is an awesome net-front presence, as he does an awesome job at screening the goalie and positioning himself for tips out in front. His agility makes him versatile when working around the net, as it helps him recover the puck in front even if he spots it on the other side of the net. Thus, he will always be useful as a net front guy on the powerplay and for his physical presence in a third line type of role. He's a hard kid to judge based off the U18s because it was clear he was being held back a little from playing a bit more offensively. Last year, he flashed some seriously impressive puck handling skills that a power forward should not have. His offensive game could have really taken strides in the OHL this year if it wasn't for the pandemic. It is still a bit raw. He struggles a little bit with consistency in his offensive game and consistency with his passing. I would like to see strides in both of those areas for him to really become an impact player and to really create more offense in the offensive zone in general.

As I said, it is hard to judge a player like Stillman based off what he showed this year, because what he showed was in a limited role-playing as a physical presence for team Canada. That being said, he showed flashes of the offense he could potentially produce at the next level. If we had seen him play a full OHL season, there's a chance he would've impressed so much that he would have been a consensus first-rounder, but alas. Chase Stillman fills a great need for the Devils in the physical presence department at forward. His physical presence is a nightmare for other teams to have to go against, and if he is able to develop his offensive skills to couple with this, he has the chance to be a real great top 6 power forward that can serve as an all situations net-front presence for tipping pucks and screening the goalie and who can excel using his impressive speed and hands making things happen in transition. At the bare minimum, if his offense does not take these strides, I think he will excel in a physical bottom 6 role playing extremely physical and causing havoc for opposing top lines.

Although he may not be the guy some people (like myself) expected, there is no doubt that Chase Stillman has the potential to be a great piece going forward and we should all be excited for what Stillman has to bring to the organization.

This is an outstanding write up of Chase Stillman and all Devils fans need to read it.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
I wouldn’t disagree if the guy was ranked high but he was rated a late second and early third everywhere, I’m not gonna be sour over the pick but this type of safe pick is one of the reasons we’ve been wandering the rebuilding wilderness for a decade almost. Swing for the fences on potential, it’s your second first rounder, bank that your player development can salvage a prospect.

They pretty much did that with Muk last year and still got ripped because it was off the so-called board.

Davegarri

Much Doge, Wow Moon
Jan 8, 2014
NJ
Feeling pretty meh about this one though I havent watched him play. I feel like I would've rather traded the pick for help now or swung for the fences with a more dynamic offensive talent.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
I didn't do enough homework this year to hate the pick. There were guys I did do some homework on and liked and wanted, but not knowledgeable enough to really hate this one

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
They pretty much did that with Muk last year and still got ripped because it was off the so-called board.

Luke is an upside pick as well. A big part of his allure is his tremendous upside

Castron has taken plenty of upside only picks in his tenure here as well. Lots have not worked out.

Forge

Blissfully Mediocre
Jul 4, 2018
Vegas
Feeling pretty meh about this one though I havent watched him play. I feel like I would've rather traded the pick for help now or swung for the fences with a more dynamic offensive talent.

I wanted to trade the pick as well, but obviously we can't force it. I'd have been more upset with Fitz if he did that and got crap value

Reactions: Davegarri

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad