GDT: Charlotte Hornets and other NBA talk

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
ESPN couldn't be happier, they've been hyping that up since October.
Well, they were right for once. But guessing a team with Kawhi or LeBron will do well ain’t that hard. Kinda happy for Unibrow, he deserves a good run after years in New Orleans.

Speaking of ESPN... I hope Nets do well under Nash if you know what I mean.

Reactions: HisIceness

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Honestly I have no issue cheering for Lakers.

Rockets have two monsters (yes, LeBron is historically more than Russ and The Beard, but AD haven’t beem recognised enough) as well and Lakers at least have Caruso as the everyman.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Honestly I have no issue cheering for Lakers.

I can't do it. Their fans (the ones who invade Spectrum Center) are just awful. They are not the worst (Miami Heat "fans" in the LeBron era were a special kind of douchebag) but they are not pleasant to be around.

I also am of the opinion that the franchise in general is unlikable. I respect the history and the titles but everything else just rubs me the wrong way, the way they are handled w/ kid gloves in the media, to the way the media constantly babbles about them even when they suck, to the ownership, to the drama that comes w/ them, etc.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
I can't do it. Their fans (the ones who invade Spectrum Center) are just awful. They are not the worst (Miami Heat "fans" in the LeBron era were a special kind of douchebag) but they are not pleasant to be around.

I also am of the opinion that the franchise in general is unlikable. I respect the history and the titles but everything else just rubs me the wrong way, the way they are handled w/ kid gloves in the media, to the way the media constantly babbles about them even when they suck, to the ownership, to the drama that comes w/ them, etc.
Heat and Jimmy are still primary. Dude was homeless and made NBA. In my eyes he already won.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Not a big basketball viewer these days (Hornets suck, league has become too star and big market driven, too many fouls, etc.) but I have enjoyed watching the Heat a bit in these playoffs. They play a really solid team game, no huge superstars (Jimmy is amazing for sure but a tier below the LeBrons and Giannis' of the league), pass the ball well, play good D, hit their free throws consistently, etc. Great story so far and definitely rooting for them to keep it up and beat LA. Don't have anything against the Lakers but prefer to see a team that was built the right way from the ground up win over a team that just collected superstars because they're a big market and LeBron and AD decided to team up there. Should hopefully be a good series at least. Heat should matchup better against LA than Denver and Houston did.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Miami is kind of a 2004 Pistons team, not as good defensively but they are not a superstar driven team, that is until Giannis joins them next summer.

MrazeksVengeance

VENGEANCE
Feb 27, 2018
Miami is kind of a 2004 Pistons team, not as good defensively but they are not a superstar driven team, that is until Giannis joins them next summer.
There is hope this year. SAS just said Lakers are heavily favored.

And if Lakers beat SAS prediction and Chuck's guarantee, hell... they deserve it.

Big Z Man 1990

Jun 4, 2011
Don't say anything at all
Why didn't the Hornets place the Swarm in PNC Arena in Raleigh?

It is certainly has much better amenities than the Greensboro Coliseum Fieldhouse, and the Triangle is a larger market than the Triad. Plus they could have easily not made many of the seats there available for Swarm games for a more intimate experience.

HisIceness

Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Why didn't the Hornets place the Swarm in PNC Arena in Raleigh?

Between NC State hoops, 41 NHL games, and a slew of yearly concerts and other events like the circus and ice shows, and the occasional NCAA first and second round games, when is there going to be time for a G-league team that lets be honest, will draw about 1k per game? There's a reason G-league teams don't play in big arenas, there's simply not a big demand for pro Basketball that isn't the NBA (cue NCAA jokes here).

It is certainly has much better amenities than the Greensboro Coliseum Fieldhouse, and the Triangle is a larger market than the Triad. Plus they could have easily not made many of the seats there available for Swarm games for a more intimate experience.

Maybe so but again, we're talking a G-league team here. The G-boro Fieldhouse is about average for a team like the Swarm, they aren't going to draw big crowds. Raleigh was one of the first cities that the Hornets dropped from consideration for the Swarm simply because there wasn't a place for them to play within the city, unless they wanted to play at Dorton Arena w/ no A/C.

No disrespect to the G-league, but the NCAA is the best developmental league there is for the NBA. There are a few exceptions like Pascal Siakam and Jeremy Lin who are successful call-ups but overall the G-league isn't like the AHL or minor-league Baseball. As such and as stated earlier, there just isn't much of a demand for minor-league hoops.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad