Prospect Info: Charlie Stramel, C, 21st Overall, 2023 NHL Draft

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
ya, and Ritchie also played for a bad team, and had a bum shoulder for most of the season. Had surgery as soon as the season finished.

Hell man, i might be dead by then
Ritchie barely put up while playing against similarly aged peers.
I know the rebuttal, but he was hurt! Yeah, that should also be a concern

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
David Backes at best, Trent Frederic at worst, ends up as the next Coyle?

Lapa

Global Moderator
Feb 21, 2010
Eh, a little disappointing. I wanted Edström, hopefully Stramel improves.

Last edited:

Circulartheory

Apr 22, 2006
Hong Kong
What big centers has MN drafted (outside of Koivu and JEE) with top-60 picks? Does Kunin count as a big center?
Well Zach Phillips and James Sheppard
Phillips was never a big forward. In all our years, our history of drafting decent-sized centers is bad because haven't done it in the top 60. Whether its because we drafted someone else or we traded away the picks (we traded alot of 2nd round picks back in the day) - we only a center largeer than 6'0" 3 times James Sheppard, JEE, and Koivu. Now Stramel makes 4.

Al Lagoon

Feb 22, 2012
What big centers has MN drafted (outside of Koivu and JEE) with top-60 picks? Does Kunin count as a big center?
Who said anything about top 60?
McBain. Peterson, Gilmour, Graovac. There have been a few.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
If I'm reading the age thing right, he was kind of caught in a hard place because he wasn't eligible for the U18's this past season, correct? Because he turned 18 prior to 12/31/22?

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
Our history of drafting centers early in the draft is pathetic.

2001: Koivu
2002: Bouchard, actually a winger
2006: Sheppard, bust
2010: Granlund, actually a winger
2011: Phillips, bust
2015: Eriksson Ek
2016: Kunin, actually a winger
2020: Rossi, tbd, probably goes into the bust/actually a winger category
2020: Khusnutdinov, tbd, probably goes into the actually a winger category
2023: Stramel, tbd

Hard to find good centers when you only draft them in the first two rounds one every 3-4 years, and 30-50% of them are actually wingers, and 20% of them are busts

I can't think of another team that has had this much trouble finding centers.

Reactions: Soldier13Fox

Wabit

May 23, 2016
That's my point. You're putting guys into the NHL or not based on their size. It's dumb and doesn't serve anything.

Size is a skillset on it's own, speed is also a skillset. They are also things that can't be taught, you either have it or you don't. If you have size you don't need to be too good for the AHL, you just need to be good enough to displace a Dewar or Shaw 4th line plug. Development will still happen in the NHL, in some areas faster and some areas slower than it would in the AHL.

Getting comfortable with the pace/physical side of the NHL isn't something the AHL can teach you. Winning FOs at the NHL level isn't something the AHL can teach you.

The AHL is for learning the team systems, make dumb mistakes, polish his game, and how to be a pro hockey player; which is why I want only 1 more year at UW and then one AHL season. If it takes a 1st round FWD pick longer than a full/healthy AHL season (over 20yo) there are either major flaws in his game or the NHL team is stacked.

In his d+3 season Stramel will have had either 2 years of college and one AHL season, or 3 years of college. He's also old for his draft class so he'll be 21 when the 25-26 season starts.

218Hockey

Oct 20, 2020
Minnesota
We just sold a ‘Big Rig’ and marched down to the dealership in Nashville to purchase a new one.

Too early to tell, but I liked Stenberg at 21.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Who said anything about top 60?
McBain. Peterson, Gilmour, Graovac. There have been a few.

Anything outside of the top-60 is a pretty longshot to begin with for any prospect. There are a few diamonds in the rough, but those are rare leaguewide.

It's like saying MN has been terrible at developing big d-men because the 6'5"+ guys they drafted in the 5th or later round didn't pan out.

MN has been pretty bad at developing every position. There has been what, maybe 5 top line FWDs, 2 top pair d-men, and 3 starting goalies to some out of MN's draft picks?

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Trade for Lindholm, and Stramel doesn't have to be a top 6 center. No harm, no foul.

I see Lindholm as more of a 2C, but at least we know he can play with skilled players.

The problem I see is re-signing Lindholm. I'd want the deal done before he gets a full season as Kap's center and that bloats his starts into the unaffordable range.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I see Lindholm as more of a 2C, but at least we know he can play with skilled players.

The problem I see is re-signing Lindholm. I'd want the deal done before he gets a full season as Kap's center and that bloats his starts into the unaffordable range.

I don't see how Kaprizov can bloat his stats into the unaffordable range when he put up barely a point per game with two 100+ point wingers.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Phillips was never a big forward. In all our years, our history of drafting decent-sized centers is bad because haven't done it in the top 60. Whether its because we drafted someone else or we traded away the picks (we traded alot of 2nd round picks back in the day) - we only a center largeer than 6'0" 3 times James Sheppard, JEE, and Koivu. Now Stramel makes 4.

MN has had 44 top-60 picks prior 23 drafts. That would be 46 top-60 picks if no trades were ever made. So they are overall down 2, well 3 because FJ counts as 2 top-60 picks.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

I'd want the deal done before our pieces officially go the other way.

Wabit

May 23, 2016
I don't see how Kaprizov can bloat his stats into the unaffordable range when he put up barely a point per game with two 100+ point wingers.

PLD just got $8.5m and has never came close to a ppg...

I'd rather pay the 64p Lindholm rather than an 80p Lindholm. I don't want to get into the $10m range.

AKL

Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
PLD just got $8.5m and has never came close to a ppg...

I'd rather pay the 64p Lindholm rather than an 80p Lindholm. I don't want to get into the $10m range.

PLD got overpaid, same way Lindholm is gonna get overpaid. It is what it is. Another (maybe) 80p season with Kaprizov won't materially change how much he gets. He's probably going to get in the 8 range regardless, even if he should only get 7, 7.5 tops. But that's why you don't go after UFA aged centers to fill the gaps. You're paying for what they did, not what they'll do.

But I will say, Dubois just turned 25, so that deal ends when he's 33. If Lindholm gets an 8 year deal he's going to be 37 when it ends. I don't want to pay either of them that much, but if push comes to shove, I definitely don't want to be paying Lindholm that much.

Reactions: fgobuzz

Spurgeon

Nov 25, 2014
MinneSNOWta
Our history of drafting centers early in the draft is pathetic.

2001: Koivu
2002: Bouchard, actually a winger
2006: Sheppard, bust
2010: Granlund, actually a winger
2011: Phillips, bust
2015: Eriksson Ek
2016: Kunin, actually a winger
2020: Rossi, tbd, probably goes into the bust/actually a winger category
2020: Khusnutdinov, tbd, probably goes into the actually a winger category
2023: Stramel, tbd

Hard to find good centers when you only draft them in the first two rounds one every 3-4 years, and 30-50% of them are actually wingers, and 20% of them are busts

I can't think of another team that has had this much trouble finding centers.

I’m fairly confident that Khus is going to be a NHL-level center when he comes over here.

52.2 FO% on 671 draws as a 20 year old in the KHL seems decent to me. His production and improvement has been solid YoY too.

—————————

I do think they should have went with Perreault or found a way to move up for Moore. Team needed a high ceiling pick & this definitely felt like more of a reach, but again no idea where Stramel was on our board.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad