Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy VI re-signed, 8 yrs @ 9.5 aav

Status
Not open for further replies.

inactive user

Aug 20, 2020
McAvoy could have signed an extension at 12:01 pm on Wednesday, when the new league year started.
I thought it was different for RFA’s for some reason. So hypothetically Carlo could’ve signed an extension last offseason?

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
216D72BA-053C-4C13-B827-400AC0DA2010.jpeg

BAD BOY

Mar 24, 2018
Peabody, Mass
I think the team friendly stuff is about to end with Charlie and his agent myself .If he has the year I think he is going to have we might be wishing Bruins locked him up right now longterm.
Agree . 10 Million a year. He’ll get it too. I have zero doubts if he pushes it.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
I think the team friendly stuff is about to end with Charlie and his agent myself .If he has the year I think he is going to have we might be wishing Bruins locked him up right now longterm.
They’re going to have little choice, but to pay the piper.

You lose him, and you might as well start the full rebuild during which you HOPE you find the next franchise defenseman.

There are going to be some interesting decisions to be made once you have to pay both McAvoy and Pastrnak what they’ll command on the market.

I guess if Bergy goes year to year and you can get him to take a little less, that might help offset things to an extent. Oh yeah, then you need to find a #1 center as he presumably shifts into more of a checking line role.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Kids going to get paid.
But heres what also concerns me is I have no idea when the cap will increase. Need a resident capologist to speculate.

NHL salary cap to remain same next season

The cap will remain at $81.5 million until hockey-related revenue surpasses $3.3 billion for the previous season. The salary cap won't rise more than $1 million until HRR reaches $4.8 billion unless the NHL and NHLPA mutually agree to inflate it in excess of $1 million.
Once HRR reaches $4.8 billion, the cap could increase by $2 million per season and transition to a formula-based calculation for establishing the cap for the 2023-24 season and beyond. As an example, the 2023-24 salary cap would be calculated using HRR results from 2021-22 and 2022-23.
The NHLPA ability to artificially inflate the salary cap as high as five percent is eliminated.
"We've agreed on how the cap will be set for all six years of the collective agreement," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Saturday, "and the inflator that had previously existed in the Collective Bargaining Agreement will not apply subject to the other inflators that we've agreed to as part of our new agreement."

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
If we can get a long term 8-9M a year, that's slightly below market rate, but team friendly. He knows he and Pastrnak are the next faces of the franchise after Bergeron and Marchand are gone.

I'd say 10 is very possible though.

Reactions: Sevendust

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I would hope Charlie scores somewhere around 15-20 goals and 50 points before we give him 10 million a year but something tells me he’ll be somewhere around 10 goals and 40 points and end up around 8.5 in the end because he’s a good shit and wants the team to have space to sign new guys…did I hear next season’s free agents will be pretty good or was that just the draft?

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Kids going to get paid.
But heres what also concerns me is I have no idea when the cap will increase. Need a resident capologist to speculate.

NHL salary cap to remain same next season

The cap will remain at $81.5 million until hockey-related revenue surpasses $3.3 billion for the previous season. The salary cap won't rise more than $1 million until HRR reaches $4.8 billion unless the NHL and NHLPA mutually agree to inflate it in excess of $1 million.
Once HRR reaches $4.8 billion, the cap could increase by $2 million per season and transition to a formula-based calculation for establishing the cap for the 2023-24 season and beyond. As an example, the 2023-24 salary cap would be calculated using HRR results from 2021-22 and 2022-23.
The NHLPA ability to artificially inflate the salary cap as high as five percent is eliminated.
"We've agreed on how the cap will be set for all six years of the collective agreement," NHL Deputy Commissioner Bill Daly said Saturday, "and the inflator that had previously existed in the Collective Bargaining Agreement will not apply subject to the other inflators that we've agreed to as part of our new agreement."

Without getting into too much detail, the basic deal is that the cap won't rise by more than $1M a year until the escrow debt is repaid.

A Leafs fan site actually had a good article on it back in January. When will the cap go up?

Not sure how it's changed since then, but it gives you a basic idea of how the process will work.

Reactions: Gee Wally

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
Without getting into too much detail, the basic deal is that the cap won't rise by more than $1M a year until the escrow debt is repaid.

A Leafs fan site actually had a good article on it back in January. When will the cap go up?

Not sure how it's changed since then, but it gives you a basic idea of how the process will work.

Almost sounds like if Charlie wants to maximize his earning potential, he goes for a 3-4 year deal that coincidentally will take him to UFA status. Even if he wants to stay with the Bruins that'd be his best strategy to make the most in his career.

Ideally for the Bruins he avoids that route and just takes an 8 year deal now.

Yeti34

Apr 13, 2013
Tampa
I agree, if Cassidy allows him on the first PP for the season
But as we have seen over the last couple of years it will be a steady dose of Gryz passing up the shot for the pass (bumper)

Mccavoy would’ve won the Norris this year if Cassidy gave him PP time over Gryz. He was the only player ranked top 5 defensive dmen and top 5 offensive dmen.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner

It's one thing to take a discount in order for the team to sign other guys to keep the team in serious contention. It is quite another to do it when the team is right on the edge of falling off a cliff. I think the latter is now the case with this team. $10 million or bust.

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
It's one thing to take a discount in order for the team to sign other guys to keep the team in serious contention. It is quite another to do it when the team is right on the edge of falling off a cliff. I think the latter is now the case with this team. $10 million or bust.

Hard agree.

The team is on the downslope so I see zero reason for Charlie to take a discount. I for one wouldn't hold it against him if he got PAID on his next contract.

Reactions: EverettMike

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
Almost sounds like if Charlie wants to maximize his earning potential, he goes for a 3-4 year deal that coincidentally will take him to UFA status. Even if he wants to stay with the Bruins that'd be his best strategy to make the most in his career.

Ideally for the Bruins he avoids that route and just takes an 8 year deal now.

Yeah, I'd say that's the case. I think he'll probably sign for something similar to Werenski, just like he did on his last contract. Probably asks for 4, because that would make him a UFA after his age 28 season and best maximizes his earnings. Bruins want 8 so they can lock up his prime years long term and keep the cap hit down for future years. They'll meet in the middle.

Reactions: Gonzothe7thDman
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad