Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy - part III.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That and I think as he gets over being a rookie- seems like a lot of young players, especially d-men, tend to defer to the veterans and will pass it before shooting. Once Charlie is clear in his own mind that he is a core player for the team, he'll likely shoot more (we hope).
I think this is definitely part of it, but the kid loves the big stage so I don't think it's all that. I think his style is just to look for the pass first and it limits him a bit.

Stylistically I think he plays a lot like PK Subban (antics aside), but a big difference is that Subban loves to drop bombs from the point. I'd love to see Charlie develop that hunger to shoot the puck.

Reactions: Dr Hook

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Stylistically I think he plays a lot like PK Subban (antics aside), but a big difference is that Subban loves to drop bombs from the point. I'd love to see Charlie develop that hunger to shoot the puck.

That's actually a really good comparison player- Subban without the flash. I've been following the Predators fairly regularly ( I actually like Subban now that he isn't a Hab) this season and its a good match. They are physically pretty similar too. Yes, I'd love to see Charlie blasting them like PK. PK scored some awesome goals in the playoffs with that cannon. I think Charlie can bring a shot like that.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
That's actually a really good comparison player- Subban without the flash. I've been following the Predators fairly regularly ( I actually like Subban now that he isn't a Hab) this season and its a good match. They are physically pretty similar too. Yes, I'd love to see Charlie blasting them like PK. PK scored some awesome goals in the playoffs with that cannon. I think Charlie can bring a shot like that.
PK is a hell of a player. The Norris he won was not totally undeserved but I think it was more for his offense that year than anything. I think he's a much more complete player now than he was then. He is used as more of a 2-way shutdown guy in Nashville. His showboating and diving is still irritating but he's no worse than Marchand IMO.

If Charlie turns into as good a player as Subban we'll be very lucky. I honestly think he's not even that far off already.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
“I can’t think of — I don’t know. I hope that, somehow, they have to answer for that and realize that it wasn’t right, you know, that it should have been a call because instead of being 2-2 going back to Tampa, feeling good, knowing that we can steal one and then win it at home, instead it’s 3-1. Now we’ve got to go down there and try to fight for our lives. It’s tough. It changed everything, but you know, it’s unfortunate, but I’ll get over it at some point.”

Read more at: Bruins’ Charlie McAvoy Still Ticked About Game 4 Non-Call: ‘It Sucks’

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Let it go Charlie. Time to move on.
Yeah, as pissed as I was that that happened, with Krug going down, our fate was already sealed anyway. Seeing Debrusk in so much pain the last couple of games and others struggling physically, It was probably just as well this happened. It was only going to get tougher against Washington and Winnepeg/Vegas. I don't balme him for being pissed about it though and finding it hard to move on. That non call was disgraceful.

Reactions: BMC and Strafer

Bruinator

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Toronto
Guess that knee wasn't feeling too bad? Figured he struggled in the playoffs due to an injury. Apparently not.
Actually, he did struggle through the 1st round because his knee was wrapped and it took away a lot of his mobility. They took the Wrap off for the 2nd round and it was a very noticeable improvement. As far as I know, he still has the brace on though. Can't wait to see this kid next year fully healthy again. He is going to be special.

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Guess that knee wasn't feeling too bad? Figured he struggled in the playoffs due to an injury. Apparently not.

Lol. Did you black out during the Tampa series? Against Toronto, Charlie was not good. His best game was probably G7. Against, Tampa he was far and away the beuins best defenseman and looked like his old self. 25-27+ minutes a night, he was one of the few bright spots.

But, i get it’s easier to make posts like this to whine. Charlie was clearly just out of his element in the playoff spot. Maybe his heart isn’t in the NHL anymore. He may have to retire and just play international now. :sarcasm:

BBB24

Aug 12, 2010
Saskatchewan
Just a slight difference between NHL and Team Korea at the IIHFHC. He struggled against Toronto getting back up to speed, was much better against TB

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
haven't seen any news on this, but anyone hear anything on the bruins extending mcavoy on july 1?
assume that's a priority. i saw the mckenzie commentary that matthews/marner are likely to wait
til next summer, so not sure if mcavoy's people have similar plan.

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
I think this is definitely part of it, but the kid loves the big stage so I don't think it's all that. I think his style is just to look for the pass first and it limits him a bit.

I think his willingness to shoot will pick up. He certainly showed flashes off offensive ability at times. We also can’t forget that McAvoy was going up against some of the toughest quality of competition in the league last year and very much held his own. This will be a big off season for him in regards to developing his body to get more in tune with the nhl grind.

McAvoy has a legitimate chance to be one of the premiere two way defenders in the league in a couple seasons once he gets a little more experience under his belt and with that will come more confidence in his shot. Sky is the limit for this guy

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I think his willingness to shoot will pick up. He certainly showed flashes off offensive ability at times. We also can’t forget that McAvoy was going up against some of the toughest quality of competition in the league last year and very much held his own. This will be a big off season for him in regards to developing his body to get more in tune with the nhl grind.

McAvoy has a legitimate chance to be one of the premiere two way defenders in the league in a couple seasons once he gets a little more experience under his belt and with that will come more confidence in his shot. Sky is the limit for this guy

can`t disagree Rico, he was having one of those seasons prior to addressing the heart issue where his name was being mentioned in the Calder conversation, then the injury following his return from his heart procedure and the kid just never seemed to be able to catch up to the momentum he had built prior to those but that doesn`t have me concerned at all.

It sounded like he was quite limited when it came to mobility by all he was wearing on his leg and once we heard he removed all the tape or whatever it was, I found his game in the last few playoff games looked very solid

Reactions: UncleRico

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Charlie, much like Backes, had a heck of tough go of it health-wise this past season. A youngster breaking into the top league in the world, playing on the top D pairing, with a lot of responsibilities -- I mean holy crap did he ever do well all things considered. And, much like Backes, I expect Charlie to really shine this season compared to last season as long as he stays healthy. Really hard to believe just how well the kid performed with so much adversity and so much asked of him. He is one of biggest reasons I am stoked about next season.

Reactions: sleepyh

UncleRico

May 8, 2017
McAvoy is among the least of my concerns on this team. He faced some of the toughest quality of competition in the league this year and is extremely young. It was his first full season of exposure and played very well. Mcavoy showed really good defensive awareness, puck handling abilities and the offense will come.

Now that he has a full year under his belt he will be training hard with the knowledge of how to improve himself even more than past off season. The offense will come, he’s shown flashes and it’s not like he is Brandon Carlo who really hasn’t shown much offensively at all. Mcavoy has all the tools. Barring injury he has potential to be a bruins great.

Mcavoy is the exact type of two way defender that this league is trending towards in order to be successful.

Reactions: DrJustice

UncleRico

May 8, 2017

Just to reiterate this point, and because it was a beautiful thing to watch.

Can’t wait for when Vaak and Mcavoy are the top pairing together. We can better project mcavoy as a player but everything I see and read about vaak is that he will be a very solid two way defender as well. That pairing has potential to thrive together, especially in the type of play this league is trending towards. Could be a really fun defensive pairing to watch for many years to come

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
Can’t wait for when Vaak and Mcavoy are the top pairing together. We can better project mcavoy as a player but everything I see and read about vaak is that he will be a very solid two way defender as well. That pairing has potential to thrive together, especially in the type of play this league is trending towards. Could be a really fun defensive pairing to watch for many years to come

I agree. It's just nice having a future #1. No need to worry about finding the next guy. That pairing really could be a fun one to watch. They'll play huge minutes, and be good at both ends of the ice. Skating game will be fun to watch especially. I hope Vaak can come here and continue to jump into the play a bit, as he's shown he has the capabilities to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad