Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy - part III.

Status
Not open for further replies.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Haven’t watched much of Boston this year but I’m hearing rave reviews about this kid and mobile offensive dman are my favorite type of player to watch. Would anyone mind giving me a brief scouting report? 27 pages is a lot to dig through. Thanks guys :)

He is more Doughty than pure offensive d-man. Will be the 4th man on the attack, but, more importantly has been tasked to the shut down pairing. Loves to hit. Good skater. Has gotten beaten to the outside trying to protect the middle a few times, but that’s fixable. A selective shooter, which isn’t bad on its own, but there are more dirty goals to be had in the NHL by getting it on net and praying than maybe he realizes. Boston obviously has a long history of stud #1D men. The longest and best history of stud #1D men. McAvoy checks the boxes.

Reactions: 7even

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
A Bourque/Stevens Hybrid......Have not seen it like that or thought of that yet. When you think of that it is awe inspiring. Can he be that ? He hits like a truck and can he is on pace for like 55 points.....Once he matures and learns the league, WOW.

A Bourque/Stevens hybrid mix. I still cant fathom that.

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
A Bourque/Stevens Hybrid......Have not seen it like that or thought of that yet. When you think of that it is awe inspiring. Can he be that ? He hits like a truck and can he is on pace for like 55 points.....Once he matures and learns the league, WOW.

A Bourque/Stevens hybrid mix. I still cant fathom that.
He's Doughty-like to me

The McAvoy/Carlo reminds me of getting Bourque and McCrimmon

Reactions: TCB

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
He's Doughty-like to me

I hope you are right, I can easily see Charlie approaching Bourque or having a similar impact to the team, What i dont see yet and i hope i do is Carlo becoming a top pairing player. I like the kid, i just dont see it though. For me the perfect 2 guy is Seabrook or McCrimmon.......It would be great if he gets there. But i think he is more a 3-4 guy who is solid. which is fine.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
So....when are we going to stop talking about the Calder and think bigger?

Charlie McAvoy - Norris Trophy candidate?

nope Norris goes to the dman with the most points. I just heard 3 separate conversations about Norris recently and each time some 'expert' said that guy in st louis is having a good season.

of course what they meant is they looked at the scoring sheet and saw that pietreangelo was the leading scorer. these are the same experts that last year said... that brent burns guy is pretty good in san jose... and the year before said, oh you got to look at erik karlsson for the Norris

makes me kind of sick... but these are the guys that vote for the award and that's the way they think

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
does anyone remember the gut-wrenching fear you would get when PK Subban was calling for the puck late in a close Bruins/Habs game? Where he was all over the ice and you just knew when he got the puck he was gonna put a dagger through your heart. I feel like that's the kind of feeling McAvoy is going to give Bruins opponents for years to come.

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
nope Norris goes to the dman with the most points. I just heard 3 separate conversations about Norris recently and each time some 'expert' said that guy in st louis is having a good season.

of course what they meant is they looked at the scoring sheet and saw that pietreangelo was the leading scorer. these are the same experts that last year said... that brent burns guy is pretty good in san jose... and the year before said, oh you got to look at erik karlsson for the Norris

makes me kind of sick... but these are the guys that vote for the award and that's the way they think
Well, You know who to thank for that dont you ? LOL...

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
does anyone remember the gut-wrenching fear you would get when PK Subban was calling for the puck late in a close Bruins/Habs game? Where he was all over the ice and you just knew when he got the puck he was gonna put a dagger through your heart. I feel like that's the kind of feeling McAvoy is going to give Bruins opponents for years to come.
PK and Charlie are a little similar if you ask me. PK likes to lay the hit in open ice and along the boards also.....Even the body types.....

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
PK and Chuck play similar styles, PK has the better shot but I think Charlie might be the better defender even at 20yo. Both control the game flow similarly.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Well, You know who to thank for that dont you ? LOL...

I saw coffey get the trophy that bourque should have got so this bias has existed for some time but i think its worst today

Last year im listening to some voters discuss it. One says that brett burns is having a great season. But then the second guy says erik karlsson is coming on strong and might pass burns. Then to carry on the conversation one of them wanted to appear clued in so they said dont look now but victor hedman is having a great season too and might still catch the other guys

!!!

I dont mind them saying hedman is a good dman but the only reason they mention these 3 guys is because these 3 guys are the top scorers

A year later and these guys are slumping offensively
and the voters are saying nick leddy or pieteangelo are having norris years because they happen to have points now

Honestly id prob be voting doughty for most years but he never has the necessary points

And now i suspect mcavoy will never have the necessary points

I dont begruge offensive dman getting some reward. There is an art ross for forwards. If you want to give the norris to highest scoring dman go ahead... but create an award for best dman too. Give guys like chara and doughty and now mcavoy their just reward

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Does anyone see some mark giordano in mcavoy? For some reason thats a guy ive been reminded of.

Of course giordano took years to develop and mcavoy is way ahead in development

I might argue mcavoy is already as good as giordano from what ive been seeing

Its so impressive

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I hope you are right, I can easily see Charlie approaching Bourque or having a similar impact to the team, What i dont see yet and i hope i do is Carlo becoming a top pairing player. I like the kid, i just dont see it though. For me the perfect 2 guy is Seabrook or McCrimmon.......It would be great if he gets there. But i think he is more a 3-4 guy who is solid. which is fine.

And Boston should be delighted with that. Having McAvoy and Carlo as the team's top-two RHD in the coming decade or more will be a real treat.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

makes me sick too friend, I think being a D-man who helps his team at both ends is valid but IMO I thought I read somewhere the official note about the trophy is it`s awarded to the D man who demonstrates the best/greatest all around ability which for me means they must be a guy or should be a guy a coach taps on the shoulder in all situations and who thrives in all situations

Feb 25, 2016
Does Charlie McAvoy demonstrate that old coaches saying a lot of football players have all heard ...... “act like you been in the end zone before”.

Cool confidence in a young player is a thing of beauty.

Also said as: Dress for the job you want not for the one you have.

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
Me either, but that still looks like a pro-scouting fail.
This really isn't he Matt Irwin thread but we can talk about him and McAvoy in regards to style. I will point out that he moved on to Nashville and was a bottom pairing Dman on that Finals team.

Irwin, like Postma this year, could not adapt to the Bruins zone defense. You look at both McAvoy and Grzelcyk who came from BU's man defense where they would follow their man all the way out to the point and see that they have adapted. Either they are early enough in their careers or are smart and capable enough to adapt and change systems. Last year in the playoffs and a little to start this year you would see McAvoy take one or two steps to follow a guy curling out towards the point only to stop and retreat to his zone area where the coaches and teammates want and expect him to be. It has become automatic for him now, as it has with Gryz.

I had high hopes for O'Gara but every game he would chase players and abandon his zone. If he doesn't figure it out this year in Providence, I hope he gets traded to a team that fits his style better. He's bigger and faster than Irwin so maybe Nashville would be interested.

It just shows another part of drafting and scouting. Identifying players who are smart and capable and probably more importantly, confident enough in themselves, to be open to changing the way they play to fit the coach and team style. A lot of players (especially 1st rounders) are too cocky or too insecure to change. They became a 1st round pick so they think they know best or are afraid to change and become less of a player or put up fewer points. There is no lack of confidence from McAvoy but also there is no arrogance. He scores the GW shootout goal and immediately points to Tuukka for shutting down 3 of the 4 shooters on the other team.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Best thing I can say for a scouting report is that he plays an identical game to Doughty.

TCB

Dec 15, 2017
North Of The Border
He's Doughty-like to me

Differently a Drew Doughty clone. They both love to hit can produce offensively,effortlessly, and it seems like at anytime they choose. Plus their extremely good in their own end and very strong.

McCrimmon was great and very underrated there was one yr I believe he was close to 100 in +/_ he and Mark Howe were both up there near the century mark. If Carlo can bring a McCrimmon like game and of course the Bruins choose to hang on to him , that would be very peachy!

The one thing with McCrimmon he was extremely Gritty along with remarkably defensively.I do like the comparison though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad