Player Discussion Charlie McAvoy II - UPDATE 4/10 Signed ELC

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I'd like to see them find a veteran lefty(not Liles) that can play 18-20 mins if needed. A guy like Polak, but left handed. Not sure who's out there.

Depends on the term really. With the sheer number of left-shot D coming up, can't block them forever.

If it's that type of D they want I'd rather look to the trade route, guy who is already under contract with a couple years left. There will be guys available this summer in trade who fit that mold with the expansion draft.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Oh I don't know. I'd like to see us take a run at TJ Oshie on a 3 or 4 year deal to add to this core.

Even test the Sam Gagne waters if the price stays reasonable, though I think that's going to get out of control quickly and somebody will massively over-pay

Things will escalate quickly with the lack of depth in this year's pool.

Oshie your probably looking at a Kyle Okposo-like contract, I'd just as soon pass.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
Over 30 and coming off a career year - the deadly combination!

If McAvoy and Carlo are teaching me anything, it's that we should have faith in our upcoming prospects.

They are not mutually exclusive. You can sign studs while still having faith in your youth.

Oshie far from a career spike. In fact, if he's anything, he's remarkably consistant;

His full seasons he's produced as such; 48, 54, 60, 55, 51, 56 with 56 being the most recent. Not a career year at all. Just same old same old for Mr. Consistency

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
They are not mutually exclusive. You can sign studs while still having faith in your youth.

Oshie far from a career spike. In fact, if he's anything, he's remarkably consistant;

His full seasons he's produced as such; 48, 54, 60, 55, 51, 56 with 56 being the most recent. Not a career year at all. Just same old same old for Mr. Consistency

This year's 0.82 PPG ratio is his best to date, but it's not too much of a deviation from the norm, I'll give you that.

If we somehow manage to get Beleskey off the books it'd be worth consideration. But another $6m/6yr contract to a 30 year old is playing with fire.

Fonzerelli

Jul 15, 2015
I'll come to you
This year's 0.82 PPG ratio is his best to date, but it's not too much of a deviation from the norm, I'll give you that.

If we somehow manage to get Beleskey off the books it'd be worth consideration. But another $6m/6yr contract to a 30 year old is playing with fire.

Couldn't be more than 4 years, and ideally 3. If it's 5 or more we'd have to walk, but 4 years at 6 million, we could do that as long as last year wasn't tied to an NMC. I'd do 3 years at 7 mil in a heart beat

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Go look at his Shooting % in comparison to previous years.

This season is definitely a deviation from the norm.

That doesn't mean he's not a very good player, but signing him expecting him to crack 30 a season moving forward is asking for trouble.

Anyways sorry to get off-topic this is a McAvoy thread.

DitClapper

May 15, 2014
I wouldn't really dive into FA this year like the past two summers.
I'd re-sign Dominic Moore. And that's honestly about it. Let the kids fill in the rest.

DeBrusk should be Krejci and Pastrnak's full time LW.
Backes with Bergeron and Marchand.
Vatrano with JFK centering. Beleskey the anchor. Literally. (Maybe the third line could use some improvement :laugh:)
Moore, Nash, Acciari as the 4th line.

The defense is going to be really good next season.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I'd re-sign Dominic Moore. And that's honestly about it. Let the kids fill in the rest.

Vatrano with JFK centering. Beleskey the anchor. Literally. (Maybe the third line could use some improvement :laugh:)

agreed although if I may? I wouldn`t be opposed to dipping into the FA market but I`d not be too aggressive right out of the gate and get caught up in going after any of the pricey players, wait a bit and see what`s out there. I get the feeling that many teams will be in cap trouble and some of those guys seeking big pay days may have to take a bit of a lesser deal

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
They suck at evaluating the pros. I want them to stay away. Always buying fools gold from the playoffs.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I endorse this post

Tim Vezina Thomas

Jun 4, 2009

Disagree on Debrusk. He should get a chance, but I'm not pencilling him into the lineup right away. I don't hate the idea of having his LW be whoever has the best camp out of Debrusk, Heinen, Chelarik, Bjork?.

We should leave the defense alone IMO. Top four is fine with Chara/Carlo/Krug/McAvoy. Assuming one of K Miller/McQuaid is gone, I'd love to leave the 6th/7th D man to one of OGara/Cross/Lauzon/Zboril. Really high on Ogara there, don't think he has top four upside but I think his floor is a bottom pairing D man.

Agree on the 4th line. As long as its a one year deal I'd resign Moore in a heartbeat.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Disagree on Debrusk. He should get a chance, but I'm not pencilling him into the lineup right away. I don't hate the idea of having his LW be whoever has the best camp out of Debrusk, Heinen, Chelarik, Bjork?.

We should leave the defense alone IMO. Top four is fine with Chara/Carlo/Krug/McAvoy. Assuming one of K Miller/McQuaid is gone, I'd love to leave the 6th/7th D man to one of OGara/Cross/Lauzon/Zboril. Really high on Ogara there, don't think he has top four upside but I think his floor is a bottom pairing D man.

Agree on the 4th line. As long as its a one year deal I'd resign Moore in a heartbeat.

The one thing I would change is trying to package some of the Bruins youth depth (especially at LW) a true top 6 LW in the Krug age range. Like Landeskog.

I also wouldn't be against getting Liles for one more year to serve the role he did this year.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010

I like the idea of integrating a rookie or two into he lineup, I would really like a second line LW. With the expansion draft it's a fine opportunity to add some quality depth to the third and fourth lines for prospects that aren't that high on the list. Deeper veteran teams like Washington, Minnesota, Chicago and Anaheim will have good players going into the expansion draft, offer a Hienen, Blidh, etc for a good, solid 7-9 forward. Other teams will be doing the same but the Bruins are in the position to not lose anyone significant upfront to expansion and can add.

mikelvl

Aug 6, 2009
Newton, MA

Agree on KPD's boy DoMo. The third line looks sketchy to me. Eventually, JFK will have that top 9 center role, but it woudln't surprise me if he needs some minor league seasoning, so maybe Spooner is back for another year. I would like to see Vatrano deal with some competition for that role with DeBrusk, Heinen, Cehlarik etc., etc. Maybe that will help him to improve his all around game including more consistent backchecking. Hopefully some of these youngsters will be ready sooner rather than later.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
We probably need to bring back a trade rumors/roster discussion thread at some point.

Anyway. How much better does McAvoy look than Hamilton at the same age?

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
We probably need to bring back a trade rumors/roster discussion thread at some point.

Far superior , when Hamilton first came on you noticed his skating and offensive instincts but his lack of board play and defensive awareness stuck out

MaCavoy was well rounded and tough on the puck, knew where to be and made really nice offensive plays (especially in game 2 when the bruins were up but the sens surged, chucky took it upon himself to try and tip the scales back the bruins way

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston

As much as I liked and supported Hamilton he was **** in his first season. Occasional spurts of greatness, having a terrific skater on the back end was pretty new to us back then, but for the most part, charmin soft and HORRENDOUS defensively. He also played, what, 2 games in the Rangers series in 2013 and was horrible under pressure as well.

It took Dougie 2 seasons to become a good defenseman. He was better in 13-14, but he really started to make himself look like a future top-pairing guy in 14-15. 2 games is a small sample size, but McAvoy has looked stellar so far. If we put him on the first pair with Chara all year next year, we'll see what he's capable of.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
Is McAvoy now the team's #1 Dman from here on out?

Certainly starting to look that way.

Well, he's certainly the best passer. Even Krug could learn a thing or two from that technique.

I wouldn't put too much pressure on him though. Next year will still about showing him the ropes, then we can let him off the leash in 2018-19.

If he goes full-Werenski next year I won't be complaining though.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
Well, he's certainly the best passer. Even Krug could learn a thing or two from that technique.

I wouldn't put too much pressure on him though. Next year will still about showing him the ropes, then we can let him off the leash in 2018-19.

If he goes full-Werenski next year I won't be complaining though.

the guy with 138 assists requires a learning lesson from the kid? Um, yeah, nope

CM will be, at some point, maybe sooner than later the "Man" back there but..

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
the guy with 138 assists requires a learning lesson from the kid? Um, yeah, nope

CM will be, at some point, maybe sooner than later the "Man" back there but..

I'm the biggest Krug fan on the planet so meh, I don't have an argument. Krug will be the teacher, no doubt about it. But that crisp flick-of-the-wrist style that McAvoy has shown is remarkable. Krug is never too old to learn a trick or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad