Post-Game Talk (GBU): Character win

Gordo21

Feb 9, 2017
The good - we're a long shot to make the playoffs but we're going to play some meaningful games in March and it's been a long time since that happened.

Eichel with 8 shots on goal. Beastmode.

You could tell from his first shift that he was going to shine. He is a rare talent no doubt.

I love that hockey is fun again and for me he is the biggest reason.

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
ERod's feet and brain have been a welcome addition to the bottom 6.

Eichel has been an absolute monster for the past 4+ games where he is dangerous on every shift. Really bring back memories of #11.

Good for Lehner, hope he continues his strong play tomorrow.

Bailey and Baptiste bring a ton of speed and offensive instincts.

I would love to keep Kane but I don't know how that looks past next year unless they can unload Bogo, Ennis and Moulson.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
It's an accomplishment we are this close to a playoff spot with the injuries we have sustained on the blue line (having to play Falk and Fedun multiple games), missing the first 21 games from your best player and a long stretch without your 2nd best player in RoR. It is definitely a long shot but if they can go on a run these next 5-6 games (schedule is very favorable) they can make it a real race. I'd go crazy over some playoff hockey. I'd be happy just getting a matchup where we likely get swept or lose in 5 just so our future franchise players in Eichel, Risto and Reinhart can get some playoff experience.

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
Love watching Bailey/Baptiste/Rodrigues. Can't wait to watch them develop even more.

I really hope ERod can develop into a solid 3/4 C or wing that can PK. He is very tenacious around the puck. He also has a nice offensive touch. If Rodrigues can get a bit bigger he might be able to make the team next year.

Baptise and Bailey are a breath of fresh air. Those two look so hungry on every shift they play. I can tell that they are extremely motivated to make sure that they don't get sent down for the rest of the year.

You could tell from his first shift that he was going to shine. He is a rare talent no doubt.

I love that hockey is fun again and for me he is the biggest reason.

What a game from Eichel -- As with Bapper and Bailey, Eichel played hungry all game. I agree that you can tell early if Eichel is going to have a big game. He comes out with this fire on his skates.

Baptise's goal from Eichel was absolutely fantastic. I think there's a chance either of those two can develop into a staple on Jack's wing. Baptise, Bailey and Kane are the only ones that can keep up with Eichel's speed. Bailey may have the all around skating ability to stay with Eichel.

Between Eichel, Kane, Bailey, Baptise and Guhle this team is going to have some serious speed next year.

It's an accomplishment we are this close to a playoff spot with the injuries we have sustained on the blue line (having to play Falk and Fedun multiple games), missing the first 21 games from your best player and a long stretch without your 2nd best player in RoR. It is definitely a long shot but if they can go on a run these next 5-6 games (schedule is very favorable) they can make it a real race. I'd go crazy over some playoff hockey. I'd be happy just getting a matchup where we likely get swept or lose in 5 just so our future franchise players in Eichel, Risto and Reinhart can get some playoff experience.

Obviously the goal is and was to make the playoffs this year. It currently is a long shot but if we can fiddle with making it through all these injuries I will be ecstatic.

This team has had its best players playing some of their best hockey all year. Eichel, Reinhart and Kane have been playing fantastic for the latter part of two months. ROR and Okposo have been contributing in a big way. The defense seems to have stabilized a bit since Kulikov has gotten back into the lineup. I definitely cannot forget that for his last 5-7 games Lehner has been fantastic.

Something is going to have to give in the East. There will be teams that are going to start to separate themselves. Lets get this going.

Side note: Thank god this team didn't sit down and get shelled with another 2 goal lead in the third. They didn't allow themselves to get shelled vs the Aves either. Keep it up, play confident and pick up a W tomorrow.,

Sabreality

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008
Atlanta, GA
Well they were out shot 17-7 in the 3rd. Even if it didn't look like the usual shell, without Lehner and some puck luck it goes to ot.

kenfury

Feb 5, 2011
It's time for this warrior to ride off into the sunset.

I have a feeling if he is still with the team next year he may go the Craig Rivet path of press box and waived by the all star break.

EDIT: I never thought I would see a c.f.% of 13.3. That's terrible

Last edited:

sincerity0

Dec 23, 2016
I don't understand advanced stats, could you elaborate a little bit? What does that stuff mean? Thanks :handclap:

Gorges was on the ice for 14:04. While on the ice the Sabres generated 4 shot attempts and gave up 18. For a corsi rating of 4/22 (total corsi events (aka shot attempts) of 18%. That means he was horrifically outshot while on the ice.

Gorges had a relative corsi of -31% which means that the team was significantly better without him on the ice.

Note that these stats are calculated 5 on 5 only. No PK time was used to calculate the %s.

Ironically, the top line was outshot 7/18.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Glimpse of the future at forward. Add in Fasching, Carrier, and Nylander, and the team's wings are looking great. Lots of speed, skill, and power.

No real need to add more, and plenty to go with a center spine.

Time to fix the D.

La Cosa Nostra

Caporegime
Jun 25, 2009
ERod definitely needs to stay. He just has such a high motor and gives it his all. And he actually has some offensive acumen to his game. Would be the perfect 4th liner, chipping in 10 goals a year and drawing some penalties with his high gear. Players like Foligno, Girgensons and Larsson should take notice of these Rochester kids coming in giving this kind of effort. I'd move Foligno and plug in a Baptiste long term to save a mil or two on the cap. Foligno had a horrible game and is a marginal third liner. More suited on the fourth honestly. And I don't want to be giving out $2.5m-3m per to those kind of players. He's already making $2.25m now and is a rfa. I don't give him a penny more then what he's making now. If he is expecting 3m+ then I move him in the off season and clear his salary. It's looking like his spot can be plugged by Baptiste or Bailey for less then half of his cost.

Bailey and Carrier both make under 700k and are signed for next year. Even if Foligno took the same rate those 2 make less then a third of Foligno. It would be smart cap management to move him and plug in Bailey.

dkollidas

Nov 18, 2010
Falk is better than Gorges.

I think that's why they re-signed Falk for next season. If they can get Kulikov back, the left side is Kulikov-McCabe-Falk with Gorges as the 7th and Guhle starting in Rochester.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad