Boston Globe Chara not done

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mount Kramer Cameras

Jul 15, 2014
I just can't see Chara leaving the Bruins. He loves being a Bruin and Boston (from what I observe). Chara and the Bruins have enough respect for one another that a one year contract next year will be signed. And to Chara, I doubt if a million here or there makes no difference to him. Chara will know when it's time to retire.

I think it'll be a two year deal. He's still taking the hardest assignments - eventually he'll go down to 3rd pairing/PK duties but it's hard to imagine that happening for a while yet. He's still an absolute anatomical specimen.

Reactions: BarnumEffect

Wiggleboom

Feb 6, 2010
Vancouver
The two parties will easily be able to meet on salary demands. Chara next year is easily worth 6 million dollars for his expected level of play (still a mid-low end #1 D-man).

Chara wants to win and knows that the discount he takes increases those odds. He has also made lots of money in his career and can afford to sacrifice a little now.

I expect a 2 year extension for 9 million.

Reactions: Rubber Biscuit

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
The two parties will easily be able to meet on salary demands. Chara next year is easily worth 6 million dollars for his expected level of play (still a mid-low end #1 D-man).

Chara wants to win and knows that the discount he takes increases those odds. He has also made lots of money in his career and can afford to sacrifice a little now.

I expect a 2 year extension for 9 million.
Plus, he can sell real estate in Boston. He can still make millions. Who wouldn't want to buy a house from that guy? :laugh:

Rubber Biscuit

Sep 9, 2010
Long Island
It's not so much that I would buy a house from this guy, but how do you say "No" to Chara. Even on TV, hundreds of miles away, he scares me.

jPARIPb.jpg

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I think I'd prefer to go year-to-year versus a multiyear deal. Mostly for cap reasons versus ability concerns. The Bruins will likely have plenty of cap room next year (2019-2019), but that cap room is going to seriously shrink after that with all of the young RFAs that they'll need/want to re-sign.

I agree with many that a 2 year $9 million dollar deal seems fair for a 41 year old defensemen. He's made $80+ million in his career, so I don't think he's looking for one last payout (unless he's managed his money poorly, which doesn't seem to be the case). I think he just wants to be respected.

In a perfect world, I'd want to re-sign him for 1 year at say $6 million, and then right after sign him to a 1 year extension for $3 million (so it'd be $9 million over two years) but I imagine a deal like that would be voided for cap circumvention reasons.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Apparently not much confidence in defensemen development in Providence. I have not seen Lauzon nor Zboril this season, only in TC, but I gather they're not ready to take the next step.

And, with Charlie, Z, Krug, Griz, Miller and Carlo firmly established for the next two years, it looks like 2020-2021 before they find a spot on the roster.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
When I read Chara's comments, I wonder if he would be more inclined to take a 1-year deal.

Like he said, he doesn't have a number in his head as to when he will retire, whether it be age, games played, seasons, etc. He wants to play as long as he's still effective and enjoys playing.

Because you have the age 35+ rule, where the cap hit will count whether the player is active or not. Because Chara doesn't really have a number in his head as to when he will be done, if they gave him say a 2-year deal, and after next year all of sudden he decides to hang them up, the cap hit hurt the Bruins even if he's retired.

IMO the Bruins are better off upping the AAV (they can afford it next year) along with a full NMC on a 1-year deal than trying to get the AAV down on a two-year deal.

Not that I'm completely against a 2-year deal, just saying it's better for the Bruins to go 1-year with a larger cap hit IMO. I think it gives both parties more flexibility. If they went say 2 years at 4 million per, if Chara retires after one season, he's no better off (he doesn't get the additional 4 million) and now the Bruins will be hit with a 4 million cap hit for a player not playing, at the same time they will need cap space for all the young players who are RFAs that same year.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
if it's one year you gotta respect him and give him 5.5 to 6m though I think. Players union would go insane if it was less.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
He's 41 I doubt the players union would really care whether it's 6 million per or 4 million.

Normally I'd agree with you. But we're staring down the barrel of another CBA negotiation on the way. Creates a different dynamic among players and agents (and owners). That's why Pasta took so long.

Reactions: BMC

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I know he played for NYI and Senators before signing with the Bruins but he's spent the bulk & best of his career as a Bruin. He should retire a Bruin. I'd hate to see him wear any other sweater at the end of his career, it would bring back memories of #77 wearing that Avalanche jersey.

Get it done Sweeney.

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
Apparently not much confidence in defensemen development in Providence. I have not seen Lauzon nor Zboril this season, only in TC, but I gather they're not ready to take the next step.

And, with Charlie, Z, Krug, Griz, Miller and Carlo firmly established for the next two years, it looks like 2020-2021 before they find a spot on the roster.

Well you should. Zboril is playing the right way and has been solid defensively this season

Louzon is a better O'Gara. He will become even better

Don't forget about Vaaka (another Jonas Brodin type D)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I think Chara either accepts a one year extension (final season next season) or retires. I hope he stays with the organization in some capacity. He can teach the young Ds

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
Well you should. Zboril is playing the right way and has been solid defensively this season

Louzon is a better O'Gara. He will become even better

Don't forget about Vaaka (another Jonas Brodin type D)
So when do those developed players take the next step? Still looking like 2-3 years to me. Lots of affection for Chara here.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
So when do those developed players take the next step? Still looking like 2-3 years to me. Lots of affection for Chara here.

what the hell are you even on about? they literally have 2 rookies and a 2nd year guy in the top 6...today

1 is already playing like a top pair and easily projects as a stud #1 (McAvoy)
1 is already an established top 4 guy and projects as a rock solid #2 (Carlo)
1 is already showing to be a very good puck mover and solid in his own end. high end a good 3 to great 4 (Gryz)

the players youre harping on are the NEXT wave of young defenders for the big club...not the ones they are looking to depend on now.

FInally, Chara is still playing like a #1. He's pulling 28+ minutes a night and 4+ min a night of PK duty. There still is not a shut down defender on his level, even at 41. I easily give him the Tim Wakefield deal...standing 1 year deals at 4-5 mill for as long as he feels he can play.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
what the hell are you even on about? they literally have 2 rookies and a 2nd year guy in the top 6...today

1 is already playing like a top pair and easily projects as a stud #1 (McAvoy)
1 is already an established top 4 guy and projects as a rock solid #2 (Carlo)
1 is already showing to be a very good puck mover and solid in his own end. high end a good 3 to great 4 (Gryz)

the players youre harping on are the NEXT wave of young defenders for the big club...not the ones they are looking to depend on now.

FInally, Chara is still playing like a #1. He's pulling 28+ minutes a night and 4+ min a night of PK duty. There still is not a shut down defender on his level, even at 41. I easily give him the Tim Wakefield deal...standing 1 year deals at 4-5 mill for as long as he feels he can play.
Thanks for making my point: the young guys are having an impact on the back line. My remark about development had to do with expressed opinion hereabouts rather than the established program

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad