Status
Not open for further replies.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
From KPD:

‘All I know is I still want to play’: Zdeno Chara is not done - The Boston Globe

He is not eyeing an end date, be it for games played, be it for years served, or be it for whatever. Because the clock is still ticking for Zdeno Chara. His only goal, now just a week beyond his 41st birthday, is to keep ticking along with it, keep being useful, to remain part of what he makes sound like is his infinite time continuum.

Who’s to doubt him?

“I believe I can still play on a high level,” the Bruins captain said the other day, “and contribute to this hockey club. So I can’t say an age number, or game number . . . I just want to continue to play.”

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I don't want Chara to play for another team. He needs to end his career as a Bruin. I think he can still be effective for another year or two. Maybe longer, not outside the realm of possibility.

I just hope Bergeron can be captain before he turns 40. :laugh:

TwineTickler

TheUltimateBruin
May 13, 2006
Fairfield County, CT
We have no one even close to good enough to fill the gigantic hole that would open if he stops.

He's still our best defensmen in 95% of our games.

I want him back, but no more than 2 years.

I will welcome him back but it HAS to be year to year to make me comfortable. I bet it will be 2 years but I would not like that. Also, has to be 4mil or less per. Preferably like 3.

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
I 100% want Chara to retire a Bruin, but they have to be smart about it.

And for the player, I wouldn’t blame him at all for making one last cash grab.

It’s nothing more than a gut feeling, but I don’t think he’d want to do anything to hamstring the teams chances to compete for a cup during his final years.

I think winning is a bigger priority than money at this point. Not saying he’ll play for 1.5, but I doubt he’d push for 4-5 either.

Reactions: caz16 and Bruinaura

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
Keep him long enough to pair with the kids coming up. So far, it’s been Carlo then McAvoy. Who’s next?

Seriously, I would do year to year. I think he won’t have a problem with that. He’s made his money. It’s not like he’s playing for peanuts. I would match this year’s salary. Something like Wakefield.

Should this go in the Chara thread?

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
Keep him then send his # to the rafters
I read this as, 'keep him and send him to the rafters' and I'm like, is that what they do to old people these days?

Anyways, please go year to year. Only thing that makes sense. If he wants to play, the Bruins will pay. But it can go south in a hurry.

Mistah Ungah

Mar 19, 2018
Amorica
I don't want Chara to play for another team. He needs to end his career as a Bruin. I think he can still be effective for another year or two. Maybe longer, not outside the realm of possibility.

I just hope Bergeron can be captain before he turns 40. :laugh:

I agree - I don't want Chara to play for another team either. After all these years and all the great things that he (and his teammates) have done together it would be pretty sad to see him in another sweater. Plus, I still think he's got enough left in the tank to make a 2-year extension at reasonable money a worthwhile investment. As far as Bergy's captaincy goes, I totally agree on that as well. Although I'm positive his voice carries equal weight to Chara's in the room when he says something to the team.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I clearly have absolutely no information about what might happen but I also have little doubt that DS and Z`s agent have been in discussion about this but both sides agreeing they`ll work at it as soon as the season is done. My preference is a year by year deal. DS has to tread lightly and not offer anything that will remotely look like a disrespectful deal while also not cash strapping the B`s. I can see Z being a guy who`s instructed his agent that he`s not looking to or expects to break the B`s bank but Boston is where he wants to be and for his agent to make it happen.

Reactions: Smitty93

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
I just can't see Chara leaving the Bruins. He loves being a Bruin and Boston (from what I observe). Chara and the Bruins have enough respect for one another that a one year contract next year will be signed. And to Chara, I doubt if a million here or there makes no difference to him. Chara will know when it's time to retire.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I just can't see Chara leaving the Bruins. He loves being a Bruin and Boston (from what I observe). Chara and the Bruins have enough respect for one another that a one year contract next year will be signed. Chara will know when it's time to retire.
Agreed, and I`d bet he and his wife view Boston as their home, kids settled, they are both comfortable there. It all comes down to the right deal in place, while I don`t think he`d play for a million bucks (nor should he) I also don`t think he`d demand/expect a huge pay day either. He`s as smart as they come, I think Z see`s this team being a legit contender and if he were to demand huge $$ it could affect cap flexibility and he`ll be reasonable

Reactions: lifelonghockeyfan

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I agree - I don't want Chara to play for another team either. After all these years and all the great things that he (and his teammates) have done together it would be pretty sad to see him in another sweater. Plus, I still think he's got enough left in the tank to make a 2-year extension at reasonable money a worthwhile investment. As far as Bergy's captaincy goes, I totally agree on that as well. Although I'm positive his voice carries equal weight to Chara's in the room when he says something to the team.
I think Chara will be reasonable with contract expectations. He knows where he's at in his career, and the Bruins defense looks to be good with all the young guys.

I think Bergy is truly co-captain. Chara even called him that on his Instagram page. He just doesn't have the C on his sweater. None of us are in the room, and I don't follow other teams as closely as the Bruins (obviously) but you'd have a hard time convincing me any team has two leaders better than Chara and Bergeron.

Reactions: Mistah Ungah

Mistah Ungah

Mar 19, 2018
Amorica
I think Bergy is truly co-captain. Chara even called him that on his Instagram page. He just doesn't have the C on his sweater. None of us are in the room, and I don't follow other teams as closely as the Bruins (obviously) but you'd have a hard time convincing me any team has two leaders better than Chara and Bergeron.

Truth! I noticed that on Chara's (awesome) instagram page, too. Imagine being a teammate when one or both of those two are addressing the room? Talk about guys who lead by example.....I'd be inclined to listen for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad