News Article: Chara charts course for a healthy return

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
About $7M a year? This sentence and your rhetorical answer are disingenuous. Not much?

If you want to be pessimistic about Chara's future I've got no issue with that, but stretching it back into the past because you are pessimistic now does contradict the facts. There are numerous objective facts over the span from the Cup until last year that will prove Chara has been one of the better defensemen in the league over that span of years. Certainly Top 10 over the whole stretch, probably higher.

Please provide your some facts to back up your opinion that Chara has been worth "not much" since 2011.

The $7 million dollar stuff was not my quote; somebody added that.

Anyway, if you think that Chara has been "good"/"great" over the past several years, let alone, a good value for the team, then I don't really know what to say. Have you watched the guy? He's been ground into the dirt by a well-intentioned, but somewhat tactically challenged coach and hobbled repeatedly by injury after injury. Those are the facts. After Sochii, the decline basically flatlined. Have the Bruins really done anything in that time? Yes, we got to the Finals against Chicago, but Chara was a totally gassed and a virtual non-factor. And this post season, our only joy was watching the Habs bow out. Yipee.

Look he's a warrior and a gutsy guy. Everybody knows that. But the contract was foolhardy when signed and these last few years, and the few years to come, were patently obvious to many here.

It's not that I dislike Chara; it's that I hate his contract and the fact that we're stuck with it as I don't think he can really bounce back. But, hey, if he does, great.

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada

Anyway, if you think that Chara has been "good"/"great" over the past several years, let alone, a good value for the team, then I don't really know what to say. Have you watched the guy? He's been ground into the dirt by a well-intentioned, but somewhat tactically challenged coach and hobbled repeatedly by injury after injury. Those are the facts. After Sochii, the decline basically flatlined. Have the Bruins really done anything in that time? Yes, we got to the Finals against Chicago, but Chara was a totally gassed and a virtual non-factor. And this post season, our only joy was watching the Habs bow out. Yipee.

Look he's a warrior and a gutsy guy. Everybody knows that. But the contract was foolhardy when signed and these last few years, and the few years to come, were patently obvious to many here.

It's not that I dislike Chara; it's that I hate his contract and the fact that we're stuck with it as I don't think he can really bounce back. But, hey, if he does, great.

This is my feeling too, word for word.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Tough year for Z, and it definitely didn't help that the D was weaker than it has been in years. I think he'll come back better than a lot of us expect. He has plenty of time to heal and I'm not worried about what he's going to do physically... He's an animal.

If there's anyone in the league that can make a miraculous comeback, it's him. I don't think you'll find many hockey players, even athletes as a whole, that are half as driven and hard-working as he is.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I have a hard time getting on board with this. In the toughest road to any Championship in sports, it's pretty hard to get to game 6 in finals with your #1 dman (and probably playoff minute eater -- I'd have to check to be sure) being a "virtual non-factor".

OutspokenMinority*

dude's done. the rest of the way will be painful to watch. move at all costs.

remer

Oct 18, 2005
Watch the playoffs should remind people why the Bruins are not in the elite group anymore.
Lack of speed. Lack of mobile defense. Lack of scoring. Lack of toughness.

Lots of areas to fix.

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
I have a hard time getting on board with this. In the toughest road to any Championship in sports, it's pretty hard to get to game 6 in finals with your #1 dman (and probably playoff minute eater -- I'd have to check to be sure) being a "virtual non-factor".
Not to mention we held an offense that was hyped up to be the best in years to only 2 goals in a sweep...

Lucic and Chong

Mar 11, 2010

Yes, I added the $7M, which is about what he gets paid, no? And more or less the going rate for #1 dmen. And if you can't even admit that he has been "good" over that time frame from the cup until this year, I'll not waste my time debating with you whether or not he has been great.

"Hobbled repeatedly by injury after injury" is how you see someone who missed his first significant amount of time this season after not playing less than 77 games for 7 years in a row. GP Facts, starting in 06-07: 80, 77, 80, 80, 81, 79, Lockout, 77, 63. Those facts do not support your phrase above. They show a pretty clear pattern of a guy who doesn't miss games and hasn't missed significant time AT ALL until last year. But yeah, time for the slaughterhouse now I guess, it's a business.

So, the contract was foolhardy when signed, eh? The Bruins won the Cup under his current contract, so maybe you should adjust your spin to meet that reality.

Look, I get that you and some others didn't like the contract when signed, and are now out like wolves because the Bruins are entering the period of the contract where Chara's decline has begun, and because he finally missed significant time after 8 years of showing up everyday. That's fine, and to be expected here, but what isn't fine is ignoring the entire history between the cup and last year and just dredging up your old argument about how bad the contract was going to hurt in the last years of it, and then fitting your view of Chara's recent play to match it. Because that is what you are doing when you say Chara has given the Bruins "not much" since the Cup year.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can

Laughable at best lol. One unlucky year and Chara is trashed. This board is full of goldfish.

TheReal13Linseman

Now accepting BitCoin
Oct 26, 2005
Nation's Capital
Yes, I added the $7M, which is about what he gets paid, no? And more or less the going rate for #1 dmen. And if you can't even admit that he has been "good" over that time frame from the cup until this year, I'll not waste my time debating with you whether or not he has been great.

"Hobbled repeatedly by injury after injury" is how you see someone who missed his first significant amount of time this season after not playing less than 77 games for 7 years in a row. GP Facts, starting in 06-07: 80, 77, 80, 80, 81, 79, Lockout, 77, 63. Those facts do not support your phrase above. They show a pretty clear pattern of a guy who doesn't miss games and hasn't missed significant time AT ALL until last year. But yeah, time for the slaughterhouse now I guess, it's a business.

So, the contract was foolhardy when signed, eh? The Bruins won the Cup under his current contract, so maybe you should adjust your spin to meet that reality.

Look, I get that you and some others didn't like the contract when signed, and are now out like wolves because the Bruins are entering the period of the contract where Chara's decline has begun, and because he finally missed significant time after 8 years of showing up everyday. That's fine, and to be expected here, but what isn't fine is ignoring the entire history between the cup and last year and just dredging up your old argument about how bad the contract was going to hurt in the last years of it, and then fitting your view of Chara's recent play to match it. Because that is what you are doing when you say Chara has given the Bruins "not much" since the Cup year.

Chara's built up this legend status among many here. Many here think he's one of the greatest Bruins ever and are dying to see him retire here, no matter the cost to the team's future.

He won us a Cup; he, and Chia, will always get props from me on that. But that doesn't mean he's entitled to a life estate here. Chara benefitted greatly from the relationship he had with Chia in Ottawa; there was no guarantee he'd bring a Cup here. But, it is true, he did. Was it worth it? Yes and no, depending on who you ask. One would have liked to think that obtaining a player at that salary level would have garnered more than one Cup (not that he does it all by himself), but the Bruins don't seem to be a Chicago or a Detroit. At this point, it seems like we're in mediocre land for several years out.

Though Chia won us a Cup; it was time for him to go, for other reasons. Somehow, Chara's immune?

You, and others, can continue to label criticism of Chara as heresy, but the fact remains that he's not been a true #1 Dman for a few years now and given his age and likelihood of future injury, not likely to be one again. And, if his cap hit is $7 million (don't know whether it's $4 or $7; not a capologist but thought they average it out to $7) then that makes it even worse.

For me, it's about the team, not the aggrandizement of any one player.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Chara's built up this legend status among many here. Many here think he's one of the greatest Bruins ever and are dying to see him retire here, no matter the cost to the team's future.

He won us a Cup; he, and Chia, will always get props from me on that. But that doesn't mean he's entitled to a life estate here. Chara benefitted greatly from the relationship he had with Chia in Ottawa; there was no guarantee he'd bring a Cup here. But, it is true, he did. Was it worth it? Yes and no, depending on who you ask. One would have liked to think that obtaining a player at that salary level would have garnered more than one Cup (not that he does it all by himself), but the Bruins don't seem to be a Chicago or a Detroit. At this point, it seems like we're in mediocre land for several years out.

Though Chia won us a Cup; it was time for him to go, for other reasons. Somehow, Chara's immune?

You, and others, can continue to label criticism of Chara as heresy, but the fact remains that he's not been a true #1 Dman for a few years now and given his age and likelihood of future injury, not likely to be one again. And, if his cap hit is $7 million (don't know whether it's $4 or $7; not a capologist but thought they average it out to $7) then that makes it even worse.

For me, it's about the team, not the aggrandizement of any one player.

This is the real issue. Many here want to believe he still can be that #1 Dman - its not happening. Absolutely love the player , his commitment to the Bruins and the fact that he helped us win a cup, but there comes a time where every player passes his worth and is no longer able to play at that top level.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
Laughable at best lol. One unlucky year and Chara is trashed. This board is full of goldfish.

Yes. An injury-riddled horrible season, following ones previous to it that weren't that good. The tallest player in the NHL in his late 30's...

You can chalk up the decline to a lot of things. But to call it "unlucky" severely undermines any sort of legitimate point and once again proves the personal and emotional attachment to a hockey player some have around here.

Things are what they are. This whole "he'll beat the odds" which are clearly nearly insurmountable, if not impossible, is nothing short of a blind, gung-ho attitude that has no appeal to me.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
It's pretty obvious with some of you that Chara is allowed to stay until the end of his contract no matter what and has "earned" his #1 spot for as long as he is in the NHL. And every year will be just an "unlucky, bad year", forgetting about the previous ones, and the next year "he'll bounce back".

I really look forward to it for as long as the guy is here. Already had so much fun with it over the last couple of seasons.

ThorntonFightClub*

Apr 21, 2015
Providence, RI
This is the real issue. Many here want to believe he still can be that #1 Dman - its not happening. Absolutely love the player , his commitment to the Bruins and the fact that he helped us win a cup, but there comes a time where every player passes his worth and is no longer able to play at that top level.

2012 - 3rd in Norris
2013 - 5th in Norris
2014 - 2nd in Norris

111 points, 36 goals, + 72 in 208 games over those 3 years.

He missed 4 total games over those 3 years.

So he is washed up because he tore a tendon?

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
It's pretty obvious with some of you that Chara is allowed to stay until the end of his contract no matter what and has "earned" his #1 spot for as long as he is in the NHL. And every year will be just an "unlucky, bad year", forgetting about the previous ones, and the next year "he'll bounce back".

I really look forward to it for as long as the guy is here. Already had so much fun with it over the last couple of seasons.

So what do you propose Boston do with Chara and what return would be acceptable to you?

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
2012 - 3rd in Norris
2013 - 5th in Norris
2014 - 2nd in Norris

Ah, the Norris argument.

It's a crap, meaningless award when Erik Karlsson or PK Subban wins it, but it defines a guy's perseverance and greatness when he's on your team.

Never change HF.

And missing games? Again, I don't see anyone saying the guy isn't a workhorse, and a fitness freak. Someone who has maybe the strongest commitment to the game in the league. That doesn't negate his drop in overall on-ice effectiveness over the last two years. Whether or not CJ (or anyone on HF, for that matter) is comfortable with it, you've GOT to start moving Chara out of the #1 spot, IMO.

I also don't understand how we have all these problems with puck-moving, mobility, team speed and yet so many of these same people have no problem with a 39 year old Chara as the number one D-man. Again, I don't understand the calls for a complete change in philosophy, yet we make exceptions for one of the most essential positions on the team.

There are so many things within the "Chara debate" that are just contrary to logic. I just wonder if certain members of this board will ever be able to "let go".

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
2012 - 3rd in Norris
2013 - 5th in Norris
2014 - 2nd in Norris

He's 38 going on 39 with a torn PCL , he's played insane minutes and his body is breaking down. You can throw out all the stats you want - his performance certainly didn't pass the eye test in the 2014 playoffs , or in 2015 where he looked incredibily slow and immobile.

And I didn't say he was washed up but certainly not a #1 anymore.

He should be playing 2nd pairing minutes which makes him massively overpaid at this point in time.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
He's 38 going on 39 with a torn PCL , he's played insane minutes and his body is breaking down. You can throw out all the stats you want - his performance certainly didn't pass the eye test in the 2014 playoffs , or in 2015 where he looked incredibily slow and immobile.

And I didn't say he was washed up but certainly not a #1 anymore.

He should be playing 2nd pairing minutes which makes him massively overpaid at this point in time.

2nd pairing minutes would be fine... i dont think he should be playing 1st pairing minutes

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
So what do you propose Boston do with Chara and what return would be acceptable to you?

I propose Chara's minutes are cut significantly. Part of the reason (IMO) he is in all this injury trouble is because you've forced a huge man to log gigantic minutes (with a very slow, too slow in my opinion, decline over the years) all this time. It's relatively unheard of for someone of Chara's size and age. The idea of moving Dougie up into that #1 role is certainly scary, but the rest of the D being solidified (hopefully, with some moves by Sweeney) would help take the load off the top pairing.

I also would not be opposed to a trade of Chara if the value is right. I'd be looking for at least a second-pairing guy, plus a top pick. More preferably, I'd like to see Dennis Seidenberg gone. Seidenberg simply fetching a defensively responsible guy ANYWHERE in the top 6 would be great for lessening the load on the top 4. Going into the season with heavy reliance on Chara and Seids AGAIN seems nothing short of ignorant to me.

Whether we keep Chara or not, whether we keep Seidenberg or not, it's hard to see the D being good enough THIS season to get us back deep into the playoffs. Don't think it's impossible, but certainly doesn't seem likely (though, it's tough to say a deep Cup run is ever "likely").

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
Ah, the Norris argument.

It's a crap, meaningless award when Erik Karlsson or PK Subban wins it, but it defines a guy's perseverance and greatness when he's on your team.

Never change HF.

And missing games? Again, I don't see anyone saying the guy isn't a workhorse, and a fitness freak. Someone who has maybe the strongest commitment to the game in the league. That doesn't negate his drop in overall on-ice effectiveness over the last two years. Whether or not CJ (or anyone on HF, for that matter) is comfortable with it, you've GOT to start moving Chara out of the #1 spot, IMO.

I also don't understand how we have all these problems with puck-moving, mobility, team speed and yet so many of these same people have no problem with a 39 year old Chara as the number one D-man. Again, I don't understand the calls for a complete change in philosophy, yet we make exceptions for one of the most essential positions on the team.

There are so many things within the "Chara debate" that are just contrary to logic. I just wonder if certain members of this board will ever be able to "let go".

Nice dismissing of the Norris angle. All that writing and you still didn't say anything. Are you saying the Norris consideration doesn't reflect chara's play? Or are you saying because players like Subban & karlsson have won it, the trophy doesn't mean anything anyways. Chara had an unlucky injury that had nothing to do with his age. That's why he had an off season last year. I still believe he will return to top pairing form next season.

Shoebottom

Bruin exiting lair
Aug 31, 2005
7 steps from my can
I propose Chara's minutes are cut significantly. Part of the reason (IMO) he is in all this injury trouble is because you've forced a huge man to log gigantic minutes (with a very slow, too slow in my opinion, decline over the years) all this time. It's relatively unheard of for someone of Chara's size and age. The idea of moving Dougie up into that #1 role is certainly scary, but the rest of the D being solidified (hopefully, with some moves by Sweeney) would help take the load off the top pairing.

I also would not be opposed to a trade of Chara if the value is right. I'd be looking for at least a second-pairing guy, plus a top pick. More preferably, I'd like to see Dennis Seidenberg gone. Seidenberg simply fetching a defensively responsible guy ANYWHERE in the top 6 would be great for lessening the load on the top 4. Going into the season with heavy reliance on Chara and Seids AGAIN seems nothing short of ignorant to me.

Whether we keep Chara or not, whether we keep Seidenberg or not, it's hard to see the D being good enough THIS season to get us back deep into the playoffs. Don't think it's impossible, but certainly doesn't seem likely (though, it's tough to say a deep Cup run is ever "likely").

Hamilton is already playing top pairing minutes. Don't see much change going from number 2 to 1. In fact Hamilton is already the number 1 RH Dman on this team. Chara & Hamilton will work fine next season.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007

I don't have a problem with what you propose. I, for one, don't have a problem with Chara being a 2nd paring leader but of course that requires DH to be ready to be #1 which I'm not sure he is just yet.

I think, in short, the Bruins defense needs a major overhaul over the next few years -- but don't think that's news.

I guess the biggest thing about this thread though is the issue I have is with the select few people who want to just say "the guy is done", "the guy is useless", "he hasn't done anything good for three years".

That's just disrespectful and with those kinds of fans, who needs Habs fans.

If the guy is out partying, slacking off on keeping in shape, and showing signs he doesn't care then have at it. But since that's never been the case, nor is it now, with Chara some fans around here need to show a bit more class and a bit more respect.

Or does Normand Leveille also suck because he couldn't stay healthy?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad