TSN: Changing the ice surface size

daleand

Aug 2, 2005
Trail,BC
This is Brian Burke pushing for this. Guess what? Calgary is pushing for a new arena at this time. Also they want public money to pay for a good part of it.

Strange Universe

Apr 8, 2009

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
No way does the NHL go to a wider surface as it would mean removal of some high price seats.

Glass seats would be much better as would the first few rows if people's feets were where the boards turn into plexiglass.

The Garden is way too shallow in the lower bowl the first 7-8 rows are effectively obstructed.

5 rows of good seats > 8 rows of obstructed ones.

I would only sit in rows 3-6 behind the goal at the Garden I wouldn't want those seats on the sides but somewhere like Centre Bell which is steep gets good literally the 4th or 5th row.

2 rows of seats would add about 8 feet of ice and I think it would be worth it.

Im a PC fan in college and Schneider Arena where they play is undersized like the old Garden and the team is fantastic and watching them play road games this weekend I noticed right away that the extra room made the team a lot better than they were at home and the undersized home sheet probably hurts them.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This was written in 1987

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...1_hard-checks-and-fights-bigger-rink-nhl-fans

Mark Messier says the evolution of National Hockey League players has rendered the league`s rinks obsolete.

``The NHL doesn`t have any choice but to go to a bigger ice surface, and I feel the sooner the better,`` the Edmonton Oilers center said. ``The game is just too fast now, and the players are too big.

``It`s like a pinball game out there. You`d see a lot better hockey on a bigger rink, and the fans would enjoy it more. There would be more of the skill-control game. Players are getting hurt too often on the small ice surface.``

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad