TSN: Changing the ice surface size

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
TSN as an article up about changing the surface of the ice -
http://www.tsn.ca/burke-on-a-mission-to-increase-size-of-nhl-ice-surfaces-1.425938

I have had this conversation before with a few friends, and was looking for a broader opinion. One of the great things about baseball are the fields themselves. Some lend themselves to the long ball, others to line drive hitters. Teams are sometimes built with their home stadium in mind. So why not allow some freedom with the size of the ice surface for NHL teams. The league can set the parameters saying a certain width and length minimum and maximum, and allow the teams themselves to work it out. It would certainly play more to home ice advantage if you had distinct size differences, it would also put a lot more emphasis to coaching changes between rinks.

Last edited by a moderator:

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
Sounds interesting, What size rink do you think the Bruins would benefit greater from? Smaller?
I would think a smaller ice surface would allow for more grinding and hitting. I could see them maybe going with a 205ft in length surface. to give a bit of extra space behind the net to grind it out.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
I'd favor a wider, European style rink, to take advantage of the faster stronger skaters and playmakers that seem to be the trend nowadays in the NHL. Also, with the increasing number of European players coming into the league, it would play to their strengths.

ChargersRookie

Jun 30, 2014
Bigger but maintain the proportion.

Spooner would benefit more though, if the ice was just made wider.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
No way does the NHL go to a wider surface as it would mean removal of some high price seats.

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
No way does the NHL go to a wider surface as it would mean removal of some high price seats.

This is why I would say make it optional. Ice surface must be within a certain margin. It can be as big as an international surface, or as small as the current one, or any variety in between. Most rinks won`t make any changes, but as new ones are built, they will certainly start to change and in 30 years we could have 20 different ice surfaces in the league. Gives coaches and players a new angle to play with.

Ratty

Feb 2, 2003
Rive Gauche
Visit site
This is why I would say make it optional. Ice surface must be within a certain margin. It can be as big as an international surface, or as small as the current one, or any variety in between. Most rinks won`t make any changes, but as new ones are built, they will certainly start to change and in 30 years we could have 20 different ice surfaces in the league. Gives coaches and players a new angle to play with.
That would be very difficult to manage. Imagine football, for example making a 110 yard field at a different stadium. Baseball is different. Teams play in parks of different dimensions, but they're in a city for three or four games in a series and can acclimate easier.

I see it as a nightmare for a coach to play in a rink of one dimension and, the next night, play in a wider or smaller one. Expansion, yes. But keep the surface consistent for all venues like in football, basketball, soccer, etc.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I don't like the euro style ice. It gives players too much room and freedom - I kind of like to see the logjams and the battles along the boards. Seeing long passes made or stolen doesn't strike me as quite as "beautiful" as a hard-fought puck battle

That said, I'm sure everyone appreciates different styles. Not sure which style is better for the current Bruins, but it would be short-sighted (if it were allowed) to construct a rink specifically for this year's team. I imagine it'd be hard to add/subtract feet from a rink...although I could be wrong.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
This seems to come up every one or two years and I really don't get it.

This myth about it creating a more offensive game is complete ********. It certainly doesn't do that in Europe. All it does is make it take longer to get from one end of the rink to the other. That's not entertaining.

We already have this in the NCAA with some teams having Olympic sized ice. It doesn't elevate the game to some other level like proponents want you to believe.

I don't see how it's better and I definitely don't see how it could ever be worth the trouble.

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX

This myth about it creating a more offensive game is complete ********. It certainly doesn't do that in Europe. All it does is make it take longer to get from one end of the rink to the other. That's not entertaining.

We already have this in the NCAA with some teams having Olympic sized ice. It doesn't elevate the game to some other level like proponents want you to believe.

I don't see how it's better and I definitely don't see how it could ever be worth the trouble.

I agree completely. The last Olympics were proof enough for me.

dafoomie

Jul 22, 2005
Boston
If teams can make their ice bigger they should be able to make it smaller, like going back to the Garden ice dimensions in Boston. Jacobs could squeeze in 1 extra row on either side and an extra two on each end.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
If teams can make their ice bigger they should be able to make it smaller, like going back to the Garden ice dimensions in Boston. Jacobs could squeeze in 1 extra row on either side and an extra two on each end.

Best idea I have seen today :handclap:

Jacobs is a paradox at times. Only 2 NHL teams still give the figurehead goal judges their traditional seat in the first row behind the goal and the Bruins are one of them. ( the other is Florida ) All other teams have moved the goal judge to the press box or somewhere else in the arena. Unlike years ago the judges can not flick the red light on by themselves, they must wait for the referee to point.

bob27

Grzelcyk is a top pairing defenceman
Apr 2, 2015
I see it as a nightmare for a coach to play in a rink of one dimension and, the next night, play in a wider or smaller one. Expansion, yes. But keep the surface consistent for all venues like in football, basketball, soccer, etc.

Soccer pitches generally have quite a bit of variance, even at highest levels. It does not change the game much, but gives interesting character to playing in certain places.

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
i like the idea of allowing the ice to be within certain sizes, the narrow Boston Garden, the short Aud in Buffalo. Even having the corners be different radii would be nifty

Odie

Mar 29, 2009
Boston
over-rated argument. The 2nd row simply becomes the new first row, and up the line until there's one less row.

That would cost them roughly $2 million in ticket revenue every year, and around 300 people who aren't in the building spending their money on food, drinks, etc...

Ogrim

Oct 11, 2012
Stockholm
Me and my father was having a conversation about rink-size the other day. We pretty much agreed that most euro rinks are too damn wide and the game would benefit from being tighter.
The grass is always greener, eh?

ClassicB

Jul 3, 2006
Leave the game (rink) alone. They've screwed with the game enough over the years.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
They should just do what Scotty Bowman has suggested a few times and move the blue-lines back in to where they used to be pre-lockout 2005.

It would open up the neutral zone a bit ny making it larger, and reduce the slot-collapsing shot-blocking defense schemes used by most NHL teams. D-men who are now standing on a blue-line that is closer to the net, become a bigger threat from the point, which should in theory force the wingers to cover their point-men like the old days. Now you should have two less defenders in the slot negating offense and goal-scoring.

Seems a lot cheaper to try out this than to start changing the size of rinks.

BobbyAwe

Nov 21, 2006
South Carolina
If they're going to widen the rink it should only be by 5ft. The International rinks are ridiculous. To increase scoring the only real difference would be made by making the net a couple inches wider or 4 on 4.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011

I agree completely. The last Olympics were proof enough for me.

This^^

European ice surfaces leading to more goals is a freaking myth. All it does is make the game spread out and scoring opportunities decrease because everything is at the perimeter. Want proof?

Goals scored in:

Sochi:

Group A - 31
Group B - 36
Group C - 28

Qualifiers - 20
1/4 Finals - 19
Semis - 4
Bronze - 3
Gold - 5

Total - 116

Vancouver:

Group A - 31
Group B - 37
Group C - 30

Qualifiers - 30
1/4 Finals - 21
Semis - 12
Bronze - 8
Gold - 5

Total - 174

Notice also as the competition ramped up, the goals did too. Bigger surfaces does not mean more scoring.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad