News Article: Changes to TV Announcers Thread

JPGoHabsGo

May 30, 2013
Somewhere James Duthie and the panel are laughing about this. I hope TSN gets back in the game, Rogers has been horrible. They look amateur in comparison to TSN.

The thing I think most people identify with about the panel is that while they provide excellent coverage and analysts (bobby mac goes without saying really) they also know when to not take themselves too seriously and make watching hockey, trade deadline/draft/free agency coverage actually enjoyable, instead of listening to some career back up goalie be bitter about everything and everyone involved in the game today.

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Wow and strombo loses his job, thats crazy to me but, he never really...fit, its weird to say.

Ron must be SO happy to just not ONLY be with don cherry now...man he took it like a champ

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
So we'll see how much they impacted ratings after all, I guess.

The ratings will be better since both Montreal and Toronto should be better than last season. If they're not, the ratings will still not be so great. People don't not watch hockey because the intermission hosts aren't good.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
The ratings will be better since both Montreal and Toronto should be better than last season. If they're not, the ratings will still not be so great. People don't not watch hockey because the intermission hosts aren't good.

Even if Toronto is not much better on the ice the Matthews hype alone is enough to give them a ratings boost, at least to begin with.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
George could have stayed. He would have adapted , adjusted and changed it up untill he got it right and then ran with it.

But he simply has to lose the goofy suits. Everyone i know who watches hockey (and some who dont) were asking WTF is with the suits??

This is why they should have transitioned him in. Put him in the 2nd intermission, interviewing hockey players or something. Have the viewers slowly adapt to him. That way there would be no shock when they decide to move him into the #1 host chair a few years down the road.

But no. Do it all overnight. I remember that first broadcast in October 2014, when he made his debut. I was crushed. The whole thing sucked, large. It was totally foreign. What the hell happened to HNIC, I asked. It was all bright blue studio lights, hard on the eyes, with a bunch of different characters, and way to many of them. It seemed like there was 20 guys on the show now. It was a different and alien show in every way possible, and it sucked big time. Talk about shock factor. Who decided to do that? Anyone in their right mind would have transitioned the entire thing, piece by piece, year by year if they hoped for it to work- don't do it all overnight like they did.

I'm delighted that they're backing things up a little bit, and hopefully it looks the way it did a few years back. But it's still sportsnet, not CBC - that's the problem. Having Ron as the host on Sportsnet is like an engineer working at McDonald's. He's far above the broadcast quality of Rogers. I have little confidence in the production quality of Rogers right now - they need to re-hire those CBC guys to get it right. Let's just hope they can mimick the HNIC style that we all became accustomed to before this whole fiasco.

Last edited:

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
I thought Strombo was pretty good and entertaining and he knew his stuff, why did you hate him?

Didn't hate him. That was never the issue. He was a great character, but on the wrong show. Like if Wayne Gretzky was hosting the Price Is Right. Make sense?

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
"but apparently kids under a certain age these days need constant change and personalities they can "relate to" or they feel neglected and go postal.

this is the thing though... even the kids of today still want Ron in there, not George. The kids that are watching (20-somethings) also grew up with Ron. So why would booting Ron out be a good thing? What they did just made no effing sense.. on ANY level.

The younger viewers still look up to "older" guys as the role models, or the mentors - just look at colleges, or universities as an example. 20-somethings who go to post-secondary schools often have older professors -and they view these professors as the most knowledgable, trusted and helpful people who will guide them through their education experience and hopefully offer tips when they graduate. They look up to them.

This is just like Ron Maclean. The younger viewers see him as a comfortable, educated hockey guy who knows what he's talking about. They're accustomed to him. Even the kids born in the 80s and 90s grew up watching hockey with Ron, and were adjusted to him, and trust him as their hockey guy. They don't give a sh- that he's 56 - and quite frankly, they don't even know his age, nor do they care one single bit.

So where did the whole George thing come from in the first place? Was he brought in to attract those 14-year olds who don't watch hockey? A 43-year old, middle aged man, supposed to attract a younger crowd? Crazy. Well guess what- those 14-year old "newbies" will watch hockey whether it's George OR Ron - the age of the host doesn't mean squat to hockey fans. Infact, the older the host, probably the better, because we place more trust into an older guy because we automatically suppose he has the larger knowledge base and experience. Younger fans look up to older role models just like they look up to their college professors or any other older person in a position to mentor or guide them.

The younger viewers today also grew up with Ron, so taking him off the broadcasts was also off-putting to them as well. For the kids who never watched hockey in their lifetimes - it wouldn't matter if it was a 43-year old middle-aged George, or a 56-year old middle-aged Ron - neither of them would be a factor in whether or not they liked to watch the broadcasts because neither of them necessarily conect with a younger person's lifestyle - because to a person in their teens or early 20s, BOTH George and Ron are "old guys".

Rogers is making a good move by attemtping to re-capture the faithful audience that they alienated in this whole process. Those millions of fans were the real fans who were watching and generated the revenue. To exlude them any longer would have been catastrophic, so good on them for bringing back Ron while there was still time - had it gone on too long, they would have lost that audience forever, and would have been so much harder to reel them back in - because life goes on - they would have moved on to other things in their lives and would not care one bit about HNIC anymore - they would have accepeted that it was simply " a thing of the past" and it was good while they had it. But it's only been 2 seasons, so that's enough time to fix the mess and keep those fans around before they leave forever.

Last edited:

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Strombo is the least of that broadcasts problems.

Kypreos, Healy, Doug Maclean, Stock... they're all unpopular and awful. I don't even like watching anymore because they're so bad.

Unfortunetely though, these guys were all side characters while Strombo was the face of the new HNIC. It was more important for him to shine than them. And being the host of HNIC is the not like any other sport shows where the host just take the batton and give it to the specalists. The Host of this show has to be important too, he has to have a point of view, he has to be an important figure for hockey in Canada.

Strombo takes the fall not cause he was over-the-top bad but because he was bland, he was average/mediocre. And nobody was having a jolt of excitement for hockey when they saw his face on Saturday Nights.

hfman

Oct 30, 2013
Unfortunetely though, these guys were all side characters while Strombo was the face of the new HNIC. It was more important for him to shine than them. And being the host of HNIC is the not like any other sport shows where the host just take the batton and give it to the specalists. The Host of this show has to be important too, he has to have a point of view, he has to be an important figure for hockey in Canada.

Strombo takes the fall not cause he was over-the-top bad but because he was bland, he was average/mediocre. And nobody was having a jolt of excitement for hockey when they saw his face on Saturday Nights.

I think he took the fall not because he was bland, but because the viewers saw him as a Wayne Gretzky hosting the Family Feud. Just - the wrong person, in the wrong place. Not a bad guy, but also not his fault. Management at Rogers created the whole mess- obviously a bunch of guys who never watched a day of hockey in their lives - so, so embarassing. I feel embarassed for Rogers for having done this. It never made any sense from day 1.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I kind of feel like Rogers in the beginning at least tried to distance themselves from HNIC and were going to rebuild the mousetrap. What they failed to realize is, "if it aint broke don't fix it". Canadians like things to remain the same, Bob Cole still being popular is a testament to that fact. I actually hated the whole bros and dudes vibe of the rogers broadcast and it will be a welcome change to have Ron giving his insight into topics and it will also be cool to hear him interview the leagues top weasel once again.

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
Television 101, be very careful how you handle changes to iconic shows. These changes must be made slowly, a little bit at a time or you could alienate your core audience. Not surprising, the boys at Rogers must have skipped that class.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad