Proposal: Change.org Petition to rename palladium drive to alfredsson way

SilverPlaqueVII

Dec 5, 2011
Scarborough, ON
Dont forget the Bayshore theatre in area that is labelled Cineplex Cinemas Ottawa (Coliseum). Itll be called Cineplex Cinemas Alfredsson to avoid confusion.

There's alredy Conn Smythe Dr. in Scarborough my friend.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Doesn't sound right. A rink named after him seems a better idea imo.

Buck Aki Berg

Done with this place
Sep 17, 2008
Ottawa, ON
Considering how every other street in that area pays homage to the city's hockey history, I think it would make a ton of sense to rename the street that takes you to the CTC (the building that gave our team and our city professional hockey legitimacy) after Alfredsson (the player who gave our team and our city professional hockey legitimacy).

The next step is to have the address of the arena changed from 1000 to 11.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Not a huge fan. If we didn't make money off of branding the arena, I'd love it to have always been called The Palladium.

Me too. It could have been called Scotia Bank Palladium, Canadian Tire Palladium, ect....

Boston Gardens is TD Bank Gardens!

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
Aren't Sens fans mad at Alfredsson after he left for Detroit? I'm a Leafs fan, and I used to have a ton of respect for Alfredsson, even though he played for the Sens. When he left for Detroit, I lost all my respect for him. He could've played his entire career with the Sens, but instead he played one year with Detroit for only an extra million or so. Why? It was classless, selfish and downright stupid. He then has the guts to come back to Ottawa and retire as a Senator? Alfredsson has become the NHL player, former or current, that I hate the most.

Back in Black

All Sports would be great if they were Hockey
Jan 30, 2012
In the Penalty Box
Aren't Sens fans mad at Alfredsson after he left for Detroit? I'm a Leafs fan, and I used to have a ton of respect for Alfredsson, even though he played for the Sens. When he left for Detroit, I lost all my respect for him. He could've played his entire career with the Sens, but instead he played one year with Detroit for only an extra million or so. Why? It was classless, selfish and downright stupid. He then has the guts to come back to Ottawa and retire as a Senator? Alfredsson has become the NHL player, former or current, that I hate the most.

You have it wrong. The Team was too cheap to give him an extension, or pay him what he was worth, so he left. I don't blame him one bit.

UnknownNasty

Oct 5, 2014
You have it wrong. The Team was too cheap to give him an extension, or pay him what he was worth, so he left. I don't blame him one bit.

Too cheap? Come on, Alfredsson made 69 million over his career. Would 1 or 2 million have made a difference? Absolutely not. I'm not pissed off because he left, I'm mostly pissed off because he retired as a Senator and even did the warmup with them. If he wanted to retire with the Sens that much, he should've dropped the extra million and stayed with them.

Sun God Nika

Palestine <3.
Apr 22, 2013
Too cheap? Come on, Alfredsson made 69 million over his career. Would 1 or 2 million have made a difference? Absolutely not. I'm not pissed off because he left, I'm mostly pissed off because he retired as a Senator and even did the warmup with them. If he wanted to retire with the Sens that much, he should've dropped the extra million and stayed with them.

He was a UFA he could sign wherever he wanted yes it was a dick move to give the finger to the fans, and silent treatment the gm till 12:01 July 1st, and it has cemented a dent in his legacy. BUT he was/is the greatest to ever play for this team and has given up a lot to stay with this team for his best years thats why some love him, or like me gonna stay sour for a while but accept later on that we got to witness one of the best european captains ever play for our team

dpw

Jul 29, 2004

You need to get the fact's straight instead of believing what you want to believe. I don't believe for a second you have respect for Alfredsson since you ignore all facts of the story.

When he signed the previous contract, he threw in the last year at a million the bring his cap hit down so the ORG could have cap room. It was clearly understood that he did plan to play the final year. Owner/management understood this as well.

When it was decided that he wanted to keep playing (the summer before his final year), he wanted an extension at that time. There was no response from the Senator's side when his side tried to open talks. Melnick/Murray basically plugged their ears and went NAH NAH NAH NAH NAH. Alfie for 1 million was a big bargain.

Like the good soldier he always was, he played the final year for a million (way underpaid) and when it came time to negotiate a deal, Sens offered 4.5. He wanted 2 years 6 million to make up for the previous underpaid season that he was originally planned not too play (again, both management and owner knew that's why he threw in that last year previous contract, to HELP THEM with cap budget).

The Alfredsson camp put 2 and 2 together and realized the Sens did not hold up there part of the unwritten agreement that he was to be compensated for the underpaid year.

After Alfredsson made it clear he would move to a different team, Melnick then open his blank cheque, but by then it was too late.

Sen's could and would have easily paid him the 5.5 he got from Detroit, but Melnick's new found cheapness got the better of him/us. A lot of butt kissing had to happen for him to retire here. Melnick knew they were in the wrong on this one.

At first I was mad at him, but not anymore once the facts got out. I don't blame Alfredsson one bit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad