Change is hard

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm glad to see this thread. I've been very happy with the team's improvements and I have enjoyed watching them play lately. I limit my time on these boards because the negativity and sarcasm starts to get tiresome. I'm not oblivious...I'm aware of the Plotnikov/Kunitz situations and things like that which are not ideal, but the change in the team has still been the difference between night and day. The Pens were frustrating to watch earlier this season and last. Under Johnston the idea of coming back from behind to win wasn't even a consideration and I'd just turn off the TV and do something else in those situations. There would be no fighting adversity or winning despite injuries, because nobody on the ice seemed to give a crap anymore. Johnston would have been the death of our star players, and the fact that I would sometimes want the Pens to lose just so he would be fired faster is a strong reminder of how crappy those times were. The Scuderi/Daley trade also restored some of my faith in JR, who I think can still make this year's team and next year's team into legit contenders.

Looking forward to some fun hockey and inflated Crosby stats.

Yes I used to be addicted to this board - 2 hrs a day no matter what. Some of the really good posters here are also having good times again, but the majority is still in lynch-mob zone it seems

AjaxTelamon

Jul 8, 2011
It seems like the Pens have at least gotten a good coach to build around Crosby and Malkin. Now they just need to actually fix the roster. The LW depth and RD depth are both not nearly good enough, the Pens still need a 1st line LWer (if we move out Kunitz, we'd need a 3rd line LWer too) and top-4 RD for me to think they'll do any damage in the playoffs. They're well set going into next year in a lot of places, their C depth (hopefully Crosby-Malkin-Fehr-Cullen), RW depth (hopefully Hornqvist-Kessel-Sprong-Rust), LD depth (Maatta-Dumoulin-Pouliot) and G depth (Fleury-Murray) are all very good. They just need to fix the LW depth and find another RD (either an upgrade on Daley or a physical bottom pair guy).

For right now, I think the priority has to be LW depth and a 1st line LW. RD could be improved by getting a good #3-4 and sliding Daley down, but LJ or Cole aren't awful 3rd pairing RD's, and Daley and Dumo is fine for now, especially considering the cost to upgrade. In fact, we should be ok through next year with Daley and even Cole on the third pair with Pouliot, as those skillsets should balance out.

Is it ideal? Probably not. But the cost to upgrade that position, and our limited assets would tell me it might not be the best use of our assets.

Edit, and yeah, thanks for making this thread. After watching DB and MJ hockey, this has been awesome.

Last edited:

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
For right now, I think the priority has to be LW depth and a 1st line LW. RD could be improved by getting a good #3-4 and sliding Daley down, but LJ or Cole aren't awful 3rd pairing RD's, and Daley and Dumo is fine for now, especially considering the cost to upgrade. In fact, we should be ok through next year with Daley and even Cole on the third pair with Pouliot, as those skillsets should balance out.

Is it ideal? Probably not. But the cost to upgrade that position, and our limited assets would tell me it might not be the best use of our assets.
I agree. I don’t understand the people saying they NEED a second pairing defenseman. Would it be nice? Sure, but it’s not a priority at this point because Daley has played like a top 4 guy IMO. If they can squeeze another year out him, hopefully in 2017-2018, Pouliot is ready for a top 4 role and he or Dumo can move to RD. If they can upgrade top 6 LW AND top 4 RD, then they are going to have to find a way to get rid of Kunitz, Cole, and Daley without taking back much in salary.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I disagree. Change is pretty easy.

The Pens' issue has never been making changes. At the end of the Bylsma era, they were one kind of team. They immediately changed and became something worse (sorry, I still hate Dan, don't worry).

Sullivan took over and immediately made changes to the culture.

The Pens' issue has been complacency. They woke up one day and had all sorts of problems that had just festered and festered and festered.

Sure, the roster still needs fixing, but I feel the foundation work is already moving in the right direction

I was referring to how hard change can be for us - the hardcore fan Iced. Personally, I got really used to hating on and being annoyed with the org. and only just came out of it myself a month ago.

This community has not yet caught up to the fact that the Pens are putting a good product on the ice after a long while lost in the wilderness.

It's not perfect, but a lot of progress is being made.

Penguinzilla*

23942642.jpg

Hossa die Waldfee

Oct 29, 2015
I was referring to how hard change can be for us - the hardcore fan Iced. Personally, I got really used to hating on and being annoyed with the org. and only just came out of it myself a month ago.

This community has not yet caught up to the fact that the Pens are putting a good product on the ice after a long while lost in the wilderness.

It's not perfect, but a lot of progress is being made.

I for myself am pretty happy with the way they are playing. It's a good sign I'm back moaning about Kunitz on the PP or no chance at all for Plotnikov.
Under MJ it wouldn't make any sense. They were playing like **** nonetheless. We probably could have switched Adams with Sid and the overall quality of our game wouldn't have changed significantly. But now you can think again of optimizing your assets. :laugh:

And there are a lot of positives even in my main critic point of Sullivan, the lineup decisions. Sully/Martin actually split Dumo/Rev up, to give a clearly superior Daley more icetime than Lovejoy (who was something like the 2/3 most used skater under MJ :laugh: )

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
This.

Sullivan is a solid coach that is agressive. That's what this team needed. Although I am curious what's behind Letang's dramatic improvements...

Tactically, he's the best the team has had since pre cup Bylsma.

As a bench boss, he's a dog just like his two predecessors, just a dog with different fleas.

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
In that case, I'm going to hate on them until all necessary changes are made. The apple is still rotten at its core, and I don't mean Sid and Geno.

I'll wait to see what moves they make between now and July 5th before I say the organization has turned a corner. The on-ice team has, but I do not believe management has.

Mr Jeff Jimerson

May 9, 2013
I think Sullivan is doing a good job of learning from the mistakes of his 2 predecessors. He's not a great coach but he's no dummy and I think his somewhat aggressive personality is a good fit for this team right now.

With all due respect, I disagree with your ascertion. Come at me Hipster L Doofis. And bring your cronies tom_servo, KayKayHoliday66, kaopectate, Denis Lemieux, and Mikeyfrompenschat with ya!:yo:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
In that case, I'm going to hate on them until all necessary changes are made. The apple is still rotten at its core, and I don't mean Sid and Geno.

I'll wait to see what moves they make between now and July 5th before I say the organization has turned a corner. The on-ice team has, but I do not believe management has.

What's scarier, JR playing GM or JR the Guerin puppet GM?

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Team's still on shaky playoff ground, but at least we're not nearly as boring after the coaching change and the Perron/Scuderi trades.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
All it takes is one shoe to drop. JR could make that bad deadline move at any time.

Which can be said about every GM ever. It's the ultimate worthless trade platitude. And by the same logic (though unacknowledged here), JR could also pull another decent hockey trade.

It's like people forget that every GM ever has made an awful trade or nine. (Especially Craig Patrick who is virtually sanctified around these parts sometimes for some very good trades, and his absolutely franchise-destroying terrible trades are conveniently forgotten about.)

plaidchuck

Feb 26, 2013
Pittsburgh

Ding ding ding. Right answer.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Tactically, he's the best the team has had since pre cup Bylsma.

As a bench boss, he's a dog just like his two predecessors, just a dog with different fleas.

LOL Kirk! You forgot he's a good motivator.

Still, you were first to sour on Bylsma here, I will always take your opinion seriously as a result.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
LOL Kirk! You forgot he's a good motivator.

Still, you were first to sour on Bylsma here, I will always take your opinion seriously as a result.

I didn't forget. He's a tremendous motivator, and he's the first coach I've seen who's had this kind of individual impact on Sid, Geno, and Letang simultaneously.

I just wish he didn't run his bench during games like he was the offspring of Mike Johnston and Dan Bylsma, although most of the problems revolve around use of the forwards in many situations, and my understanding is that Tocchet handles the forwards during games.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
Which can be said about every GM ever. It's the ultimate worthless trade platitude. And by the same logic (though unacknowledged here), JR could also pull another decent hockey trade.

It's like people forget that every GM ever has made an awful trade or nine. (Especially Craig Patrick who is virtually sanctified around these parts sometimes for some very good trades, and his absolutely franchise-destroying terrible trades are conveniently forgotten about.)

Agree - there are like four GM's out there I really think are on top of things. Not much separating JR Guerin from the other 25 IMO...

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh
I didn't forget. He's a tremendous motivator, and he's the first coach I've seen who's had this kind of individual impact on Sid, Geno, and Letang simultaneously.

I just wish he didn't run his bench during games like he was the offspring of Mike Johnston and Dan Bylsma, although most of the problems revolve around use of the forwards in many situations, and my understanding is that Tocchet handles the forwards during games.

I am still convinced Tochett is part of the remaining problem.

Gallatin

A Banksy of Goonism
Mar 4, 2010
Pittsburgh

Fair nough. I on the other hand will enjoy watching Pens hockey again, and apparently I can't do that while hating on the Org...

Dec 30, 2003
Visit site
He's got Sid going to tough, hard traffic areas. Which Sullivan said he told Sid that is where he has to be. Sid was playing a soft perimeter game prior to Sullivan, during the MJ era.

Glad to see Sid back!

Yup... reminds me of MT Sid. Sids around the net and moving his feet more.

Very interested in the Rangers matchup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad