"Change is coming"?

End on a Hinote

Registered Abuser
Aug 22, 2011
Northern British Columbia
I found it interesting that that is the line used on the Canucks website.

Does anyone know if they are simply referring to the changes in management and the roster? Or does it mean something else? Does the fact that it focuses on the teams logo mean anything? Logo change again? Or is it just used as a ticket discount ad?

176x336_CDC_Shimmy.jpg

Barney Gumble

Jan 2, 2007
Days of gouging people who want to buy tickets are gone (at least for now) most likely. Could do this if there were a long waiting list for season tickets - ain't anymore.

NYVanfan

Mar 27, 2002
Visit site

Does anyone know if they are simply referring to the changes in management and the roster? Or does it mean something else? Does the fact that it focuses on the teams logo mean anything? Logo change again? Or is it just used as a ticket discount ad?

176x336_CDC_Shimmy.jpg

just lookin to sell the plan to suck less next year

Rex Banner

Custom User Title
Aug 22, 2013
Out:
Gillis
Torts
Sully
Kesler
Garrison
Santo

In:
Linden
Benning
WD
Lidster
Pearn
Cooper
Miller
Vrbata
Bonino
Sbisa
Vey
Dorsett
McCann

I include McCann only because he was technically traded for.

That a pretty significant amount of "change".

Iceberg Slim

May 9, 2010
Vancouver
The "Change is Coming" slogan was introduced back in June. It appeared on the official website just before the announcement that Desjardins had been hired (and before the Kesler/Garrison trades, the 2014 Draft, free agency, and various other personnel hires).

I'd pretty much take "Change is Coming" at face value. It's referring to the new management, new coaches, roster changes, and everything else we've seen over the past couple months, and will be continuing throughout the upcoming 2014-15 season.

It's a marketing strategy aimed at winning back fan support/interest and boosting the sagging ticket sales/renewals.

And it's a pretty obvious attempt at repairing the overall Canucks brand.

Already to-date, the slogan has proved pretty accurate. Whether or not one agrees with the team's choice of direction (or the specific moves made to date), there's no question that some very significant changes have taken place this offseason. The slogan promised "change" and that's exactly what's happening in Vancouver.

Of course, "change" was pretty much a given (and a necessity) after what happened last season.

It remains to be seen how successful these changes will be and whether or not the "new" team (management, coaches, and players) will yield significantly different results from the "old" one.

There have also been several changes off the ice and on the non-hockey side of operations. And once again, there's talk of logo and jersey changes in Vancouver.

Given the current slogan, and the overall image makeover they seem to be attempting, it's quite likely that there will be more changes (probably of a more superficial/cosmetic variety as the roster and personnel changes seem largely complete for the time being) coming in the weeks and months to come (and over the 2014-15 season).

Overall, it seems like the club has already delivered on their promise that "change is coming." Soon we'll get to see what these changes really mean for the future of this hockey team.

Last edited:

PhilMick

Formerly PRNuck
May 20, 2009
Calgary
"We're Going to Run Jason Garrison Out of Town and Overpay a Locker Room Cancer" was just a little too long.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Yeah. Obama really did a number on this word.

For Nucks it's just a slogan to get fans to keep showing up during what will be lean times.

Still, 6/18 or 33% change in opening night lineup qualifies. Now about that result...

Hey! We never promised results! Just change.

Ubik

Feb 10, 2014
Vancouver
Yup. It's our slogan going into this season, though I question that change really is coming. Sure there's a little bit of turnover on the ice, but it's still the same team.

There has been more than a "little bit of turnover".

New President, New GM, New Coaching Staff (barring Gully and Rollie) which will brind new atmosphere and philosophy. Those two things can be very important to a teams success and should not be overlooked.

There might not have been so much gutting of the roster, but there will be a lot of new faces in this team. We have heard it over and over that young guys when ready will replace whoever they are competing with.

Both Benning and Desjardins have been adamant that in the case of a tie between veteran and prospect at camp, the spot is going to the younger guy.

This team still isn't done tweaking itself before the season's start, that is for sure. Camp and Preseason will bring more changes to the roster. Guys like Burrows, Higgins, Hansen, Matthias, and Richardson. are all guys who should have their heads looking over their shoulders.

I can see this team being near completely re-vamped (at least the Forward group) by Christmas

John Bender*

Yup. It's our slogan going into this season, though I question that change really is coming. Sure there's a little bit of turnover on the ice, but it's still the same team.

Not really, entirely new regime, new starting goaltender, new head coach, new assistants, new#2 centre, influx of younger prospects.....there has been a lot of change.

D0ctorCool

Dec 3, 2008
Vancouver
Not really, entirely new regime, new starting goaltender, new head coach, new assistants, new#2 centre, influx of younger prospects.....there has been a lot of change.

So shouldn't the slogan be 'Change has come'...?

Or is there even more change on top of the change we've already seen.
I'm a little hazy on the whole 'change' thing.

y2kcanucks

Le Sex God
Aug 3, 2006
Surrey, BC

Didn't realize the head coach, and assistants went on the ice during the games.

We'll see about that influx of youth.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.

PR to sell tickets. Sounds more promising than

Older, slower, softer

Seattle Totems

Apr 14, 2010
"CHANGE" being positive did not resonate with me.

I would rather the slogan have been "REBIRTH" then watched the team pick up the 10th pick from Anaheim, not trade a 2nd for Linden Vey, and not sign that plug Ryan Miller.

Oh well. There's still time to change it to "TANK" before the end of the season.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
"CHANGE" being positive did not resonate with me.

I would rather the slogan have been "REBIRTH" then watched the team pick up the 10th pick from Anaheim, not trade a 2nd for Linden Vey, and not sign that plug Ryan Miller.

Oh well. There's still time to change it to "TANK" before the end of the season.

Sif use "Tank"
2014 "Change is coming"
2015 "New Change is coming"
2016 "More New Change is coming"
2017 "Ultra Change is coming"
2018 "Mega Ultra Change is coming"

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00