Chance MDZ doesn't return next year?

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Actually Poile brought MDZ here to help offensively by doing what he does best. Problem is coach Trotz and Poile don't seem to be on the same page.
I would like to know what forward upgrade Klein was going to bring...
Package some combination of Klein, Ellis, (maybe Wilson), 1st all the sudden you get some guys interested.

Goligoski got Neal and he's nothing special. Maybe slightly better than Franson. Ellison got Patrick Sharp.

wentz22

Nov 21, 2013
Listening to Fenton interview on 102.5 last night it really seems like he and Poile are happy with the youth and direction of the Dcore so i cant imagine MDZ leaves. This seems more like another rift between Trotz and Poile.

Poile Fires Peter Horachek much to Trotz's Dismay

Poile Trades the picture of the Preds Defensive style Klein for Offensive risk MDZ

Poile admits that the Preds system could have resulted in Legwand not developing to his full potential

Now the Trotz scratching of MDZ.

Just my opinion.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
I think a very realistic scenario this off-season:

Trotz fired.
Poile "President of hockey operations."
Fenton GM.
Housley - HC or remains assistant.

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
Listening to Fenton interview on 102.5 last night it really seems like he and Poile are happy with the youth and direction of the Dcore so i cant imagine MDZ leaves. This seems more like another rift between Trotz and Poile.

Poile Fires Peter Horachek much to Trotz's Dismay

Poile Trades the picture of the Preds Defensive style Klein for Offensive risk MDZ

Poile admits that the Preds system could have resulted in Legwand not developing to his full potential

Now the Trotz scratching of MDZ.

Just my opinion.

Interesting way of looking at it. Honestly, a couple weeks ago, I thought there was no way Trotz is out, but more and more, I think we see him in Winnipeg next season.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
you guys, Trotz does this with defensemen all the time. Franson, Hamhuis and even Suter. Klein went through it for years.

Legwand, Wilson, Smith, Erat and now Forsberg have been the forwards that have been through this or are going through it.

It's what Trotz does.

wentz22

Nov 21, 2013
you guys, Trotz does this with defensemen all the time. Franson, Hamhuis and even Suter. Klein went through it for years.

Legwand, Wilson, Smith, Erat and now Forsberg have been the forwards that have been through this or are going through it.

It's what Trotz does.

We know it's what he does, but its not always the best asset managment.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Package some combination of Klein, Ellis, (maybe Wilson), 1st all the sudden you get some guys interested.

Goligoski got Neal and he's nothing special. Maybe slightly better than Franson. Ellison got Patrick Sharp.

And who would this person be that another team would trade and be worth Klein, Ellis/Wilson, 2014 1st?

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I mean Diamond, Cooper, & whoever runs the Predlines twitter have all said MDZ is in the doghouse & it's a situation that bears watching. What exactly is dumb about me saying that?

If you can read, I specifically put I wasn't referring to Diamond. You can lump Cooper in it as well. I am referring to fan blogs, websites and twitter accounts and citing them. It is conjecture and to think we would have traded a top 4 dman in this league on a sweet contract for a guy we aren't going to qualify is idiotic. Trade him? Maybe.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
And who would this person be that another team would trade and be worth Klein, Ellis/Wilson, 2014 1st?
I'm not going to speculate on something can can't be speculated. I gave you a few examples of decent (but not great) players who were traded for scoring line players. Throw in 1st, Ellis, etc, all the sudden I think you get interested teams.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
How's DZ been playing in Nashville?

Something has to be up with him, DZ anchored 22-23 minutes a night on the Rangers backend the last two years, and the Rangers were either contenders or the 3rd best team in the east.

He was awful early this year, and had a similar down year his 2nd season. The Rangers defense looked set with DZ, Staal, McDonaugh and Girardi at one point, but DZ just fell off this year.

At first I thought he couldn't play AV's system (he couldn't), but figured he'd be better in a tighter checking system that he was for a couple of years. Has he been playing poorly?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
How's DZ been playing in Nashville?

Something has to be up with him, DZ anchored 22-23 minutes a night on the Rangers backend the last two years, and the Rangers were either contenders or the 3rd best team in the east.

He was awful early this year, and had a similar down year his 2nd season. The Rangers defense looked set with DZ, Staal, McDonaugh and Girardi at one point, but DZ just fell off this year.

At first I thought he couldn't play AV's system (he couldn't), but figured he'd be better in a tighter checking system that he was for a couple of years. Has he been playing poorly?

I wouldn't say poorly, but more not what the coach wants. The only 3 defensemen on this team who are allowed to play the offensive side without facing punishment should a mistake happen are Josi, Weber, and Jones (who makes tons of rookie mistakes).

WartracePred

Sep 29, 2009
As long as he listens to the coaching staff, he'll be fine. Guys, remember that Suter was bounced to MIL while growing into a regular NHLer. And Suter wasn't happy about the demotion either. Del Zoto is a great fit for the 2nd pairing. There is NO WAY Poile gives up Kleiner if MDZ wasn't the right guy for this team. Klein is a solid Dman locked up for years with a great contract. You don't trade that away unless you're getting value coming back. Based on Trotz's comments, this seems like a lack of effort from MDZ. With the season all but over, I'm not surprised.

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
We will see soon enough if it is a health issue. If Jones is not able to go Tue MDZ will have to be in if healthy. If it is a situation with Trotz why aree we surprised MDZ had issue with Torts and later with Vigneault. Could this be three strikes and you out? Who knows, I never liked the trade but somehow some way MDZ needs to preform. If not we have pissed away KK for nothing.

As a Rangers fan, I'm not sure Del Zotto ever had "issues" with Tortorella or AV, but he seems to have left them wanting and that's ultimately why he was moved. He has had a hard time playing up to his skill and ability, and maybe that frustrates some coaches. On the other hand I don't think he plays bad enough to just be ditched for nothing, that wouldn't make much sense.

MDZ isn't a good fit here. Great passer, but his skating makes him a defensive liability. Just no acceleration, especially in reverse.

He looked ok paired with Jones, and has looked really bad with Ellis. This makes sense considering Jones is a little better defensively than Ellis. Ironically, the perfect pairing for MDZ would have been... Kevin Klein.

This is all true as well and part of the reason the Rangers traded him...they needed a steadier defense first kind of guy on the right side to pair with Moore

NYRCSKA*

Rangers fan here.

MDZ has a very low hockey IQ. He just makes dumb plays often and is a defensive liability. He has moments where he shows up, but in order for him to be a decent NHL player, he needs to get his head out of his butt. MDZ is his own worst enemy. He just doesn't get it.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
As a Rangers fan, I'm not sure Del Zotto ever had "issues" with Tortorella or AV, but he seems to have left them wanting and that's ultimately why he was moved. He has had a hard time playing up to his skill and ability, and maybe that frustrates some coaches. On the other hand I don't think he plays bad enough to just be ditched for nothing, that wouldn't make much sense.

This is all true as well and part of the reason the Rangers traded him...they needed a steadier defense first kind of guy on the right side to pair with Moore

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ra...in-klein-source-confirms-blog-entry-1.1636499

It was no secret, though, that Del Zotto didn’t get off to a great start under Rangers coach Alain Vigneault this season. That came as a surprise, since Del Zotto was supposed to be one of the primary benefactors from a switch from John Tortorella to Vigneault.

This is but one example of what I have read that differs from the opinion MDZ has issues with coach's.

It is also apparent that MDZ will not change his game. There are times he solid but far too many times he takes chances that are costly to the Preds. The Preds are not a very good passing team really have not been very good ever. MDZ takes chances especially in the neutral zone he is more likely to create a giveaway than the spectaluar play he envisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad