Chance MDZ doesn't return next year?

Predsrule

Nov 18, 2008
Here's an article Jim Diamond just released.

http://rinksidereport.com/2014/03/24/del-zotto-situation-one-that-bears-watching/

With him being scratched two out of the last three games, he's clearly in the Trotz dog house. It would be pretty terrible to lose him in the offseason for absolutely nothing..especially after giving up Klein.

Rfa hard to lose him for nothing.. Growing pains of the coach allot of the d go threw it.. And is say giving the kids a chance plays a small part of it.

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
@tblake11: @PredlinesNSH legit chance MDZ doesn't return to Nashville next year?

@PredlinesNSH: @tblake11 I wouldn't have thought it a month ago, but yes, there is. He'll need to prove himself with Jones out.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
I honestly think that should MDZ get a QO, he rejects it and takes Poile to arbitration, especially after this mess with Trotz. Who knows, he may be draft day trade bait.

Bringer of Jollity

Oct 20, 2011
Fontana, CA
Not enough information to make a judgment really, but you'd have to think there's some kind of injury or health issue underlying this. I don't really feel that DZ has played much worse than some of the other defensemen in his stint here. Either way, doubt we lose him for nothing.

Byrddog

Lifer
Nov 23, 2007
We will see soon enough if it is a health issue. If Jones is not able to go Tue MDZ will have to be in if healthy. If it is a situation with Trotz why aree we surprised MDZ had issue with Torts and later with Vigneault. Could this be three strikes and you out? Who knows, I never liked the trade but somehow some way MDZ needs to preform. If not we have pissed away KK for nothing.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
I think MDZ will stay I think it is another Trotz issue. Poile clearly stated to the world that he signed MDZ to help the offense. Trotz clearly does not let him do that.
IMO they will not fire Trotz in season out of respect for him and his long tenure in Nashville. This offseason I think Trotz will be fired and Poile will sell the fact that he could have the chance to help rebuild this team and be a part of one of the best defense corps in the NHL.

weeze

May 2, 2011
Illinois
I think MDZ will stay I think it is another Trotz issue. Poile clearly stated to the world that he signed MDZ to help the offense. Trotz clearly does not let him do that.
IMO they will not fire Trotz in season out of respect for him and his long tenure in Nashville. This offseason I think Trotz will be fired and Poile will sell the fact that he could have the chance to help rebuild this team and be a part of one of the best defense corps in the NHL.

I hope we are able to keep MDZ! I think with him we will have an outstanding Defense! I think Trotz likes to show he is the boss and makes the decisions. Putting MDZ in his place. "Play like I say or don't play".

I hope you thoughts on Trotz being let go this summer come true. This team could have been better if we had gotten a little bit of help earlier in the season. Maybe...

thecloser

Jun 29, 2012
NASHVILLE, TN
Trotz needs to go. It's time this whole "doghouse" BS is done. No reason MDZ should be a healthy scratch. He's an offensive d-man. key word, offensive, trotz needs to get over the fact that there are guys out there that do really well when actually focusing on the offensive side of things rather than defense always. christ almighty, its so frustrating when your favorite team does this kinda of ****.

fire trotz bandwagon...boarded.

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
After thinking about MDZ not being used to his strengths such as the PP, I really wasn't thinking that Housley is the one in charge of that. So I am now placing part of the blame on Housley, although Trotz should have the final say in that, and does have the final say in who is scratched and who isn't.

But this whole "he isn't veteran enough to not compete for a spot nightly" stuff is bogus. He has more experience than any of the D-men excluding Weber.

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
After thinking about MDZ not being used to his strengths such as the PP, I really wasn't thinking that Housley is the one in charge of that. So I am now placing part of the blame on Housley, although Trotz should have the final say in that, and does have the final say in who is scratched and who isn't.

But this whole "he isn't veteran enough to not compete for a spot nightly" stuff is bogus. He has more experience than any of the D-men excluding Weber.

I believe the Rangers fans said MDZ, while good at stretch passes and such, wasnt really a PP QB type... so we may or may not be misusing him...

And while I agree we need MDZ and his skillset, if its true that MDZ is dogging it in practice and acting like he is owed a spot in the lineup, I think anyone reasonable would have to admit that is a worrisome trait in a 23 year old

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
Whatever the problem is, if we don't give him a QO in the summer, we lost Klein for absolutely nothing. Would definitely suck especially since we traded for MDZ to be part of the long term future of the blue line.

Juneemoon

Oct 29, 2003
Visit site
I think there will be some timing issues here...

When do qualifying offers have to be given vs. when is the draft?

I think that if Trotz is not fired that Del Zotto will be traded/not qualified.

RCola88

Jun 4, 2013
Nashville, TN
Whatever the problem is, if we don't give him a QO in the summer, we lost Klein for absolutely nothing. Would definitely suck especially since we traded for MDZ to be part of the long term future of the blue line.

and he should be on our blue line for the future, let the guy play the way he does right now. When he played risky when he first got here with Jones, he player pretty damn good. Then Trotz stepped in because he didnt play the Predator way. We aren't making the playoffs, unless he's got an attitude, then I see no point in benching him and making a public statement about it. That's childish at this point in the season.

skydog71

Jan 17, 2012
MDZ isn't a good fit here. Great passer, but his skating makes him a defensive liability. Just no acceleration, especially in reverse.

He looked ok paired with Jones, and has looked really bad with Ellis. This makes sense considering Jones is a little better defensively than Ellis. Ironically, the perfect pairing for MDZ would have been... Kevin Klein.

deanwormer

Nov 5, 2009
Nashville
MDZ has not shown he's worth $2.9mil. He is basically where Ellis was a few years ago - a one-trick pony who can't do that consistently and gets burned repeatedly at what his primary job is - DEFENSE. He's constantly in poor position. He's not physically strong. He's not strong retrieving pucks in the corner or clearing the zone. Yep, he is a plus with his stretch pass and he does see the ice well and handles the puck ok under reasonable pressure. Right now, we have 4 Dmen who have overall games clearly better than he is, and 2 more lefties that are superior to him on D, although not his O upside.

I was in the camp that said Klein and an F for an upgraded F would have been better - and that seems to be how this is shaking out. It's not just Trotz, he didn't like AV, either. Sure seems like a spoiled kid who thinks a good season early in his career "earned" him a career and doesn't want to work at his game. Maybe it was worth a chance, maybe not, but this is a "bad" on Poile, I think.

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
I think it is dumb to cite a blogger on twitter as a source for discontent. This is called rumor mongering. That isn't the diamond piece btw.

As far as the "not veteran enough to compete for a spot" reminds me of another guy who thought he had his spot given to him---Blum

RomanEmpire

Feb 26, 2013
Nashville, TN
I think it is dumb to cite a blogger on twitter as a source for discontent. This is called rumor mongering. That isn't the diamond piece btw.

As far as the "not veteran enough to compete for a spot" reminds me of another guy who thought he had his spot given to him---Blum

I mean Diamond, Cooper, & whoever runs the Predlines twitter have all said MDZ is in the doghouse & it's a situation that bears watching. What exactly is dumb about me saying that?

INDhockeyfan

Apr 6, 2012

I was thinking of Blum as well. It is too early as there are a couple more weeks left in the season and with Jones out MDZ is going to play and we'll see what happens. This is when Weber needs to have a talk with him but maybe he already did.

dulzhok

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
Still baffled why we traded one of our only tradable assets with value for MORE FREAKIN DEFENSE.

The first time in a decade that Poile has traded a serviceable roster player under multi-year contract (Mike Dunham being the last one)-- and he gets more defense.

If Poile can't get out of his comfort zone, this team will remain at the bottom of the standings.

PFL615

Jul 19, 2012
Smashville, TN
Actually Poile brought MDZ here to help offensively by doing what he does best. Problem is coach Trotz and Poile don't seem to be on the same page.
I would like to know what forward upgrade Klein was going to bring...

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
I think we were all a little overhyping Klein. He's a very good NHL defenseman, on a sweet contract, but wasn't ever going to fetch a top 6 forward straight up.

I thought I was a good move when MDZ looked like he was set to be Jones partner for the foreseeable future.

Im just gonna wait and see how it pans out. I'm sure the plan was for MDZ to be signed to a multi year deal this summer.

If it becomes another VV situation where Trotz doesn't want the players Poile brings him, then obviously something has to change

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad