Post-Game Talk: Champions vs Wings

Status
Not open for further replies.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Agreed so far.

He’s a second year 4th line player. I think it might click for him offensively at some point. He carries a high shooting percentage....maybe he needs to shoot more.

I have no problem with Stephenson but lets not quote his shooting percentage. The percentage of his shots that are breakaways is higher than his shooting percentage. Yes, throwing the puck toward the net and good things happen. He should do that, but lets not quote his shooting percentage as an indicator that he can score more. I think expecting more breakaways from him isn't realistic. He gets a lot as it is

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
My issue with Stephenson isn't that he's not an offense- first guy, it's that he generates important scoring opportunities which are phantoms because he has so little finish. As I said, unless he can learn to convert on more of those, he's not gonna last because he's not especially good enough at the other stuff to keep a spot in this league just on that basis.

Also I don't see the confidence he showed last year. Maybe a sophomore slump, but he needs to sort it out.

sycamore

Jan 16, 2010
Nice comeback win for our guys.

Really the only thing I want to see now is for #43 to get heavy duty ice time. Wilson missed so much of the first part of the season, what with the suspension and injuries, it is imperative for him to get minutes now so that he is fully prepped for the playoffs.

Reactions: RandyHolt

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
Well...except that if you deal away a Jaskin type, you can only replace him with another Jaskin type ($$$ wise).

Burakovsky getting dealt allows for a lot of leeway in the type of player you could then acquire to fill the $$$ void, if you so chose.

It's not irrelevant.

It’s irrelevant until you start floating imaginary upgrades. Sure then his salary matters. Hit me up when those upgrades become available at the right price. Someone just said Bura wasn’t the worst guy recently. That was the extent of the discussion parameters to begin with.

Reactions: Silky mitts

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have no problem with Stephenson but lets not quote his shooting percentage. The percentage of his shots that are breakaways is higher than his shooting percentage. Yes, throwing the puck toward the net and good things happen. He should do that, but lets not quote his shooting percentage as an indicator that he can score more. I think expecting more breakaways from him isn't realistic. He gets a lot as it is

He’s carried a high shooting percentage across 1.5 seasons now. If he shoots more the % will drop, I get your simple math and extrapolation thanks. ;)

Are you suggesting he can’t improve offensively at 24 and do you think more shots would somehow be detrimental? I mean come on...if he improves his skill set, starts getting more confidence, he should improve production-wise to some extent.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
It’s irrelevant until you start floating imaginary upgrades. Sure then his salary matters. Hit me up when those upgrades become available at the right price. Someone just said Bura wasn’t the worst guy recently. That was the extent of the discussion parameters to begin with.

I'm not certain, but I think, sometime back in 2015 or so, a poster changed the discussion parameters in a thread about a player on HFBoards, and time itself actually stopped for a few moments while the universe tried to figure out what to do. It might have occurred in a Crosby vs Ovi thread:D

If Bura is our worst forward right now, its a matter for debate and your opinion is as valid as anyone else's. But I would submit, in terms of value right now Bura is dead last and thats not debatable, according to me :D

Just curious, if not Bura, who is our worst forward, right now?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
He’s carried a high shooting percentage across 1.5 seasons now. If he shoots more the % will drop, I get your simple math and extrapolation thanks. ;)

Are you suggesting he can’t improve offensively at 24 and do you think more shots would somehow be detrimental? I mean come on...if he improves his skill set, starts getting more confidence, he should improve production-wise to some extent.

no...I am not suggesting he cant improve. I am simply saying that his best scoring chances have been breakaways created by his speed. He doesn't create a lot of offense otherwise. His speed is his main weapon. He can develop another one. Sure.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
When you use shooting % to argue Stephenson isn’t struggling with his shot right after missing everything on a breakaway (as predicted by @Sam Spade ) that’s the kind of thing someone would that doesn’t watch the game and only looked at the stats would say
Just a minute. Nowhere did I say Stephenson isnt struggling. His shooting percentage is fine but he just doesnt shoot enough. He looks pass first. And quite often he leaves the offensive zone early to back check. I have seen plenty of times he could have gotten himself in a decent scoring position but decided to back off. But that doesnt mean he is playing poorly. He is very responsible defensively and he usually makes the smart play.
Eller is a guy that has struggled for a good part if the season. Not just offensively. He makes a lot of poor decisions. Oshie is a guy that is struggling recently. I'm surprised at some of the mistakes he has made. Then you have Kuzy and Ovi. We tend to cut those guys some slack because they are so valuable offensively but they both have alot of brainfarts. Vrana is another guy that seems to get a free pass when he makes a mistake. He has been a bright spot for us but still makes some careless mistakes. The Detroit game wasnt a good game for him. Boyd is another player that has been up and down. He a rookie though so we expect that. Then we have Burakovsky. His game has actually been better lately but he still isnt getting in the score sheet. Doesnt seem to have any chemistry with Eller. Burakovsky might not have chemistry with anyone.
Connolly has been a pleasant surprise. Might be playing his best hockey. Backstrom is supposed to be our best 2 way forward. He has played fairly well but has had a couple of stinkers lately. And Wilson has been outstanding. I think he has been our best overall forward. He is playing great at both ends if the ice.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
To me it's not a lack of overall offensive ability, its purely the lack of finish on those breakaways, and specifically the lack of any form of creativity on those chances - he's entirely too predictable there. He's generating a ton of breakaways with his play, but finishing them so rarely. He really should just spend the extra time working on that to get to a Matt "Paralyzer" Hendricks level of efficiency.
He got a shorthanded breakaway goal a little while ago. He tends to try the 5 hole on breakaways and I'm sure its in the scouting report. He needs to work on some other moves.
I'd like to see him score more of those but any offense from him is a bonus.
And if we are going to get on Stephenson for not scoring on his breakaways then we have to get on Wilson too. He has had plenty of breakaways recently as well.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
He got a shorthanded breakaway goal a little while ago. He tends to try the 5 hole on breakaways and I'm sure its in the scouting report. He needs to work on some other moves.
I'd like to see him score more of those but any offense from him is a bonus.
And if we are going to get on Stephenson for not scoring on his breakaways then we have to get on Wilson too. He has had plenty of breakaways recently as well.

No, we don't really have to get on Tom Wilson. He's a far superior player who has few holes in his game and is currently contributing at nearly a PPG. So, I'm not going to get on TWil for not burying a few breaks.

I've read the forum rules and logical consistency isn't a requirement.

Reactions: RandyHolt

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Just a minute. Nowhere did I say Stephenson isnt struggling. His shooting percentage is fine but he just doesnt shoot enough. He looks pass first. And quite often he leaves the offensive zone early to back check. I have seen plenty of times he could have gotten himself in a decent scoring position but decided to back off. But that doesnt mean he is playing poorly. He is very responsible defensively and he usually makes the smart play.
Eller is a guy that has struggled for a good part if the season. Not just offensively. He makes a lot of poor decisions. Oshie is a guy that is struggling recently. I'm surprised at some of the mistakes he has made. Then you have Kuzy and Ovi. We tend to cut those guys some slack because they are so valuable offensively but they both have alot of brainfarts. Vrana is another guy that seems to get a free pass when he makes a mistake. He has been a bright spot for us but still makes some careless mistakes. The Detroit game wasnt a good game for him. Boyd is another player that has been up and down. He a rookie though so we expect that. Then we have Burakovsky. His game has actually been better lately but he still isnt getting in the score sheet. Doesnt seem to have any chemistry with Eller. Burakovsky might not have chemistry with anyone.
Connolly has been a pleasant surprise. Might be playing his best hockey. Backstrom is supposed to be our best 2 way forward. He has played fairly well but has had a couple of stinkers lately. And Wilson has been outstanding. I think he has been our best overall forward. He is playing great at both ends if the ice.
All of these observations presume you know how the play is supposed to go and there’s no evidence that you’ve watched any games.

Reactions: kicksavedave
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad