GWT: Champions League - Round of 16

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Yeah Lautaro isn't a big game player.He had the chance to put the game away in extra time and his feet failed him, now he roofs this one. Atletico is like herpes. Bad for football, but good for Spain's coefficient I guess...

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Now last 8! 3 La Liga(Real, Barca, Atletico), 2 PL(ManCity, Arsenal), 2 Bundesliga(Bayern, BVB) 1 Lique 1(PSG).

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Looking at the remaining teams I would say Arsenal and PSG have very good chances.
Arsenal wasn t convinced vs Porto. My favorits are Bayern, ManCity and Real(Despite without conviction, but Real is Real).

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yeah Lautaro isn't a big game player.He had the chance to put the game away in extra time and his feet failed him, now he roofs this one. Atletico is like herpes. Bad for football, but good for Spain's coefficient I guess...

Me trying to figure out how herpes is good for Spain's coefficient :huh:

Brunkmeister

Sep 4, 2021
Arsenal wasn t convinced vs Porto. My favorits are Bayern, ManCity and Real(Despite without conviction, but Real is Real).

They weren´t but that won´t count for the continuation of the tournament. It was mostly due to bad matchup. Arsenal are much better suited against teams who want´s to play and gives up a lot of spaces. That will be most of the remaining teams except Atletico. So even though those teams are better than Porto they will also suit Arsenal much better. Not saying Arsenal will beat any of those teams, but i´m saying you can´t base their chances on them being poor against Porto.

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
City is the team to beat. I'd rather face them in the final than over two legs.
Rest is pretty much balanced except BVB which might be a touch worse than the others.
Agreed. Anything can happen in a single game, and on their day I think any of the teams left could get one over on City. Over two legs? A little trickier.

Yesterday's loss is the first game that Inter have not won in 2024.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
They weren´t but that won´t count for the continuation of the tournament. It was mostly due to bad matchup. Arsenal are much better suited against teams who want´s to play and gives up a lot of spaces. That will be most of the remaining teams except Atletico. So even though those teams are better than Porto they will also suit Arsenal much better. Not saying Arsenal will beat any of those teams, but i´m saying you can´t base their chances on them being poor against Porto.
Nevertheless, Arsenal have played in the CL so many times and have never been able to win the title. Even during the great times under Wenger. I don t believe in Arsenal!

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

All the teams left except us are perennial contenders. Of course we have a lot going for us and I wouldn't sell us short, but if I had to give odds of who wins, I would put us in the bottom half

Nevertheless, Arsenal have played in the CL so many times and have never been able to win the title. Even during the great times under Wenger. I don t believe in Arsenal!

This Arsenal is not Wenger's Arsenal, I think we have shown that, but what that also means is that this Arsenal haven't actually played in the CL at all... Everything is new

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Silly take. As if results from 20 years have any factor on this team.

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
City hadn't won the CL until they won it last year. :dunno:

I won't pretend that we're a favorite. We may not even be favorites to win our QF matchup. But this is the strongest Arsenal team of the Emirates era and I wouldn't just count us out.

Lambo

Jan 10, 2019
Silly take. As if results from 20 years have any factor on this team.
Oh yeah! Even over 60 Years! There are teams that simply have a hard time winning certain titles. See PSG or Benfica with the “Gutmann curse”. This often shapes the DNA of a club. And Arsenal is one of the teams that are not that successful internationally. Even in the strongest phase under Wenger.

Reactions: luiginb

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
There is nothing wrong with thinking Arsenal can win it. They are very good, and should be contending; this is not an underdog team by any stretch.

There is also nothing wrong with thinking Arsenal can’t win it because they needed PKs to squeak past Porto.there is nothing unfair with that logic.

Just depends which side of the fence you are on

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
There is nothing wrong with thinking Arsenal can win it. They are very good, and should be contending; this is not an underdog team by any stretch.

There is also nothing wrong with thinking Arsenal can’t win it because they needed PKs to squeak past Porto.there is nothing unfair with that logic.

I think we should have done better vs Porto (that was definitely my expectation), but you could also say that Porto needed a wonder goal, one of our goals called back, and awful time wasting tactics just to send it to extra time.

Regardless, I think going to penalties and winning may actually be a huge mentality boost for the team. On top of getting the R16 exit monkey off our back, the players had to deal with the pressure of penalties. I'm not expecting us to win the CL, but I think we have the talent and tactics to beat any of the remaining teams.

Reactions: maclean

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs

Sure, but none of this has to do with thinking they can't win because of "pedigree" due to events that took place decades ago.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I think we should have done better vs Porto (that was definitely my expectation), but you could also say that Porto needed a wonder goal, one of our goals called back, and awful time wasting tactics just to send it to extra time.

Regardless, I think going to penalties and winning may actually be a huge mentality boost for the team. On top of getting the R16 exit monkey off our back, the players had to deal with the pressure of penalties. I'm not expecting us to win the CL, but I think we have the talent and tactics to beat any of the remaining teams.
None of this stuff matters. Sorry.
Sure, but none of this has to do with thinking they can't win because of "pedigree" due to events that took place decades ago.
Final jitters are definitely a thing for teams that haven’t been there before, but we aren’t there yet either. Don’t think the pedigree thing matters either though.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Arsenal-Bayern
Real Madrid - City

PSG - Barcelona
Atletico - BVB

Easy draw for PSG to get to the final

Basically hardest possible draw for us and I don't really mind. Good chance to test our mettle against the top. Rather be the underdog. Would suck to actually pull it off against Bayern and have to face City, but not about to get ahead of ourselves

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad