GWT: Champions League - Round of 16

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Yeah, Milan really need/needed to score a 2nd during what is their best attacking spell. Two goal lead would be so much more comfortable to take to London.

ItsFineImFine

Aug 11, 2019
Looks like Nagelsmann didn't have a plan to deal with Mbappe running on the ball on the left side lol. Might wanna put Kimmich there or something Pavard is just getting overrun.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Been a while since I've watched a PSG game so I'm surprised they looked this poor. There's a weird dynamic in that squad and it ain't good. I also don't get why you'd start a 16 year old, or Soler, when you've got Vitinha. Especially against that Bayern midfield.

Nuno Mendes is gonna be the best LB in the world at some point though. Damn he's good.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
There's a weird dynamic in that squad and it ain't good.
TBF it's not weird, it's just constructed poorly. The forward trio is amazing, but - despite what the fans might tell you - they don't play defense over extended periods of time. PSG is defending with 7 people. Hakimi was also getting destroyed defensively.
Their midfield needs to be some prime KCM thing to work (and even they had Benzema always working hard, even Bale - let's say Ronaldo didn't exactly ruin himself defensively). Some of their midfielders are bang average players for this level, but some are good - but ALL are set up to fail. Hakimi bleeding on the right side, forwards not contributing defensively - and, with no Mbappe, very limited speed.

Also, not impressed with Nagelsmann and some of the Bayern players. Koman was amazing, De Light rock solid, Chupo Moting a threat... Musiala had flashes, but no more than that. Sane was poor and Gnabry looks like a peasant version of Gnabry from the Kovac years.

Nothing's over yet, tie basically hangs on Mbappe's health. Messi, Neymar, etc... Won't matter without Mbappe. But if he's ready for the return leg, Bayern could be in trouble unless they adapt.

Reactions: Rob

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Since post-WC, AC Milan has been one of the worst clubs I've seen and they still somehow beat Spurs. That's a telling sign if you're a Tottenham fan like Expression. He's been Conte out for a long time though and I totally predicted this. He's amazing to watch due to his Italian blood, but clearly overrated.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
De Ketalaere has been arguably one of the worst summer transfers. 30+ mil for 1 assist in 1000+ minutes this year, and just looks absolutely lost out there.

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
How did Thiaw look to anyone that watched the Milan match? He's getting glowing reports in the german press.
He's single handedly improved Milan's defense in the last 3 games he's played. Very confident, strong in defense and great on the ball. He's looked good in a back 4 and a back 3.

Reactions: cgf

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
How did Thiaw look to anyone that watched the Milan match? He's getting glowing reports in the german press.
Wasn't watching too closely but he did miss a grade A chance on a header about 5 yards from goal. I know that's not his primary role, but that's the only thing I remember about his game (which may be a good thing given his position and my attentiveness)

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
I will say that this particular champions league ball is one of my all-time favorite balls.
It's just pure style and beauty.... seems wrong to have to kick it. :wg:

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Wasn't watching too closely but he did miss a grade A chance on a header about 5 yards from goal. I know that's not his primary role, but that's the only thing I remember about his game (which may be a good thing given his position and my attentiveness)
He was the one who gave the long ball to Theo for the goal. Great pass.

LOGiK

Nov 14, 2007
The commentators for the PSG saying big game, big moment, but most of them are asleep (first half)... haha...
PSG hasn't looked good since the loss when Mbappe got injured.

Spurs turn it up and dump on a fledgling City and then turn around and loss that momentum.

Expected more from the Spurs but not too surprised at PSG. It is their time of year to fall apart.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
I'll be missing this Chelsea game because I can't bring myself to pay $25/month for just Champion's League. The f***ing audacity of DAZN to jack its prices way up at the same time as it lost EPL rights!

Reactions: Peen

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I could watch it on CBS, but the Chiefs just had to win the Super Bowl and have their parade during the game, so I get that instead.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Karim has chelsea really flustered. He's been playing well since the restart and seems to have settled in for BVB.

Shame Mouki is out for the next 6 weeks, would've loved to have seen those two really gel together.

EDIT:
Karim was a really force in that first half going both ways. Bursting back to stuff at least two counters, and being a regular thorn in chelsea's side. Adeyemi, Brandt, and to a lesser degree Bellingham have been BVB's best attackers so far.

...but Thiago Silva has been chelsea's best player, so it's still 0-0...

Last edited:

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's a shame Chelsea don't have someone like Brandt. Kai might see some service if they did :naughty:

Is Joao Felix trying to make Kai look like a clinical poacher? Second strong chance on the counter that he's squandered badly.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
Benfica has been the better team however Brugge had a goal disallowed in the final minute of the half, I don't even know why. VAR disallowed it but there was no explanation

edit: Benfica pen now, Mignolet almost saves it but goes in off the bar ultimately

Last edited:

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Awful yellow to bellingham

he didnt even clip chilwell. If he did, it was his f***ing nail on his toe

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad