GWT: Champions League Round of 16 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
A lot of knee jerk reactions. madrid have loads of young talent just need to fix their offence. Jr is too young and Benz can't do it alone. Everything else will fall into place, they have the players to cover for the midfield and defence.

Il Mediano

Feb 24, 2018
Congrats to Ajax , and big shoutout to their recruitment. They've done a really nice job supplementing their academy talent with veteran pieces.

Reactions: Ajacied

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Look, I didn't see the game today and it got spoiled before I could see it...

In many ways, today and, in a broader sense, this past week, are maybe the best thing that could've happened to Real Madrid, in the long run. As twisted as this will sound (which is very, very twisted, but bear with me on it), maybe the worst thing that could've happened this year would've been Real Madrid, somehow and inexplicably, finding a way to win the Champions League this year. It could've led Perez into thinking that Real Madrid was still good enough and not in need of major overhaul. Don't believe me? They only finished 17 points behind Barcelona last season and downgraded their roster over the summer mercato.

No, getting pants'd by Barcelona (if not in performance than on the scoreboard anyway) twice, at home, and then getting blown off their own field at the Bernabeu against, you know, "some Dutch team" (surely that's how many people will perceive Ajax, however wrong they are to do so) is a very good nutshell of what the last 1.5 seasons have been like at the Bernabeu, more-or-less. Real Madrid looking second rate and performing well below expected standard.

There will be an expectation for overhaul now. They need it. Their professionalism is atrocious. The roster isn't good enough. The coaching is disastrous. They need a full-scale, high-level pressure washing of that entire club. Crashing out of three competitions in the space of seven days, with all three losses coming at home? That will do it. Surely that will do it.

Finish in the top-4 and overhaul the club. Today was a long-time coming and Real Madrid badly needed this. Up to them now to take heed and act accordingly.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
A lot of knee jerk reactions. madrid have loads of young talent just need to fix their offence. Jr is too young and Benz can't do it alone. Everything else will fall into place, they have the players to cover for the midfield and defence.

Spoken like a Cule: nothing to fix here!

In many ways, today and, in a broader sense, this past week, are maybe the best thing that could've happened to Real Madrid, in the long run. As twisted as this will sound (which is very, very twisted, but bear with me on it), maybe the worst thing that could've happened this year would've been Real Madrid, somehow and inexplicably, finding a way to win the Champions League this year. It could've led Perez into thinking that Real Madrid was still good enough and not in need of major overhaul. Don't believe me? They only finished 17 points behind Barcelona last season and downgraded their roster over the summer mercato.

Must be nice to be able to worry that winning a European title in the short term might compromise your long-term rebuild.

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Must be nice to be able to worry that winning a European title in the short term might compromise your long-term rebuild.

I wouldn't qualify the hell out of a statement like that if I didn't understand how ridiculous it could sound to someone who doesn't have to live with my brain. I do think my premise can be understood, however; they badly need a rehaul and derping their way into a CL trophy this year would've only helped serve to delay that badly needed overhaul even longer than it's already been delayed.

Because, hoo boy, they need it big-time.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
LOL your miracle run was the last 3 years... None were deserved.
I am super excited that these thugs got knocked out and to Ajax of all teams, but huge LOL if you think their CL wins were flukes.

tenor.gif

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
So who are we choosing here to build a squad now, Laporte or Varane? Just two years ago 99% of this board would probably say Varane.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos
So who are we choosing here to build a squad now, Laporte or Varane? Just two years ago 99% of this board would probably say Varane.

It's not even close. Varane all the way. One lousy season doesn't delete the guy's got 4 CLs and a WC, has been vital for his teams winning the trophies and is still only 25.
For reference point, Laporte is a year younger and doesn't have a droplet of the career accomplishments that Varane has. VVD is 27, and Varane is 25.

So, I still expect 99% of the board to go Varane.

And the other 1% would be wrong.

Reactions: les Habs

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
It's not even close. Varane all the way. One lousy season doesn't delete the guy's got 4 CLs and a WC, has been vital for his teams winning the trophies and is still only 25.
For reference point, Laporte is a year younger and doesn't have a droplet of the career accomplishments that Varane has. VVD is 27, and Varane is 25.

I am not going to say Laporte, but he's clearly been on a much worse club for way longer in his career. I don't think it is fair to compare their trophy cabinet until Laporte gets some seasons under City (which it should expand).

The real question is if Madrid would be as successful if Laporte replaced Varane and my answer is still yes.

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
I am not going to say Laporte, but he's clearly been on a much worse club for way longer in his career. I don't think it is fair to compare their trophy cabinet until Laporte gets some seasons under City (which it should expand).

The real question is if Madrid would be as successful if Laporte replaced Varane and my answer is still yes.

Probably they would still be very successful. What if you replace Ramos with Laporte, what do you think?

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Full credit to Ajax and the writing was on the wall that a result like this was possible. Still Madrid might have taken this one or at least put more points on the board with a few things playing out differently. That's not to take away from Ajax's performance because I think the scoreline reflected that actually gameplay, but look at the 2nd leg of the Copa match. Anyway, congrats to @Ajacied as I know this sort of feeling for an Ajax side in the CL has been a long time coming having lived the last time.

Personally thrilled with what I saw from De Jong. Sure he got caught in possession late on, but just generally he looked really comfortable out there and put in the work. I know this isn't news, but looks like he'll fit in perfectly with us next season. Even more excited than I already was. Ziyech for me was really up and down. Some really good playmaking and passing one minute, then some stupid decisions/shots the next. Tadic was fantastic. Really nice goal, but the way he held up the ball and played in his teammates was just top drawer. Really the difference maker in that Ajax front three on the night. I thought Blind was good and outshone De Ligt. Liked the danger Neres brought in the box. And I can definitely see Tagliafico going to a club of some stature (outside of Ajax).

Curious we don't hear more about Ten Hag. I've heard good things even before this match, but I feel like he doesn't get a lot of press.

As for Madrid and some of the folks surprised by this, as some of us having been saying for a while now, the CL wins weren't really an accurate portrayal of that team. I'm not saying they were deserved or not deserved at all, but rather that the team wasn't as good as people thought. 2016-17 was a bullshit league win and domestically they have little to show for that team's reputation. Barça are on pace to win their 4th liga out of the last 5 and really it should be their 10th out of the last 10. And if Barça win the Copa it will be 6 out of 6 there too. Anyway, a talented team for sure, but never as good as people made them out to be.

Hilarious to see fans of loser clubs talking **** about the biggest club in the world. Juve (biggest losers in Europe) and Liverpool (hopefully you see a league title this century) fans especially. But I guess when your club isn't going to win a UCL anytime soon, the next best thing is to talk **** about the club that spanks you on a regular basis. Jealousy isn't good but it's only natural. Enjoy yourselves now, you guys have been waiting a long time to celebrate something in Europe.

Great performance by Ajax, they should have scored more tbh. Feels weird to say but I'm glad we lost. This team has problems and if we had by some miracle made a UCL run, Florentino would have been too stubborn and stupid to recognize it. Hopefully this wakes him and the rest of the board up.

Hopefully all teams stay healthy. Good luck to everyone (except Barca and Atletico obviously).

:laugh: And people think I hate Madridistas.

That's why they should play together at the same club.

I think playing on the NT will be enough. Besides, we're not going to sign De Ligt AND Van Dijk.

Kroos has been pretty bad for a long time. What an overrated player

Now to you and all the other bandwagoners how many years too late, this was my baby. Find your own overrated players to trumpet. And where did that Kroos fan go? Did they take away his online privileges?

Statistics say otherwise.

The eye test says otherwise to your stats, not to mention context.

I must say that watching Ajax rape Madrid was up there as one of the most pleasing soccer moments of the decade. What a beauty.

Kroos sucks.
Modric was awful once again today and has had a stinker of a season compared to last year.
Same goes for Varane.
Asensio looks atrocious too.
Bale will be gone, so will Marcelo.

Good times.

Can people please refrain from using the "r" word.

Kroos is overrated, but he doesn't suck.
Modric hasn't been as consistent as he sometimes gets credit for, but generally yes.
Varane absolutely hasn't been nearly as consistent as he gets credit for. Modric you can almost ignore, Varane not so much.
I actually thought Asensio was one of their best players. Scored an excellent goal, set up another chance, came back to get the ball and would try and do things. Based on what I've seen, which isn't too much coincidentally, it's surprising he doesn't play more really. Of course if the attitude isn't there then I get it, but I just don't see how he doesn't play more.
Bale had some moments, but yeah, he should be gone. Best for all parties involved.

Good times indeed, but hopefully we won't be suffering the same fate next week.

He can be all yours, I rather have my Arthur.

You mean my Arthur, but yes, you can enjoy him too.

Arthur has been great too, as a passer he is on par with Kroos. But in terms of efficiency Kroos has created 43 chances in 19 games in the Spanish league, Arthur 8 in 17. Even minding that Kroos plays more minutes that's a big difference. Real has other problems than him despite his bad mistake today.

:facepalm: Yeah, even minding that Kroos has nearly double the minutes... Good Lord. Not to mention their respective roles or who takes set pieces and who doesn't.

Totally agree about the reactions. A lot of knee jerk reactions. Madrid have plenty of talent too. However they have two big issues. A real difference maker in their front three and a manager worthy of that role. On top of that a lot of their young talent has plenty of proving to do and not all of it looks "Galactico" level if you will. I think they've got plenty of players who should stick around and who can be squad players at worst which is fine. Still they need a next generation talent. Vinicius Jr hasn't sold me just yet. Rodrygo maybe? But even so when does he produce the goods. They needed to get Mbappe' and didn't and now unless the player puts up a fuss he's stick on farm that's really a golden prison.

They just need to get that Dybala kid and everything will be alright

No it won't. I won't lose sleep if they get him.

Congrats to Ajax , and big shoutout to their recruitment. They've done a really nice job supplementing their academy talent with veteran pieces.

They also have a good track record of getting young talent from outside their club. De Jong for example.

Never change my friend. :heart: Varane, all day long. Varane has the talent, but he's still lacking with some of the performances over the course of the past how many years now. He's been too inconsistent which to be fair I don't put all at his doorstep. Laporte though? Now that is a player who have been overrated on this forum. I shudder to think we might (depending on the rumors) have got Laporte instead of Umtiti.

I don't think rattling off his trophies really tells the whole Varane story. I also think on top of a "lousy" season you add some inconsistent ones at the very least. Still you're spot on. Varane all day long.

Reactions: Gecklund

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

Fair point about comparing trophies - but I don't agree with the notion that Laporte on this Madrid squad ends up with 4 CLs in 5 years.
Ramos is the de-facto leader of the team, but Varane compliments him perfectly, not just in positional play but also quickness and speed.

This Madrid squad...
It was a finely tuned machine that was fantastic to watch for years (especially during the Zidane years) and part of why they were so successful in Europe was because Varane and Ramos could be left alone on wide areas and still come away unscathed (mostly).

Varane is far from a decent/very good player plugged into a winning team. He was part of the reason why they could play the way they played and dominate the only best-on-best competition for so long.

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin

Those stats on the face of it can be misleading. What's impressive for me, and I think @Ajacied noted this, is how much of the build up play went through him. That pass accuracy combined with the fact that he had the most touches of any Ajax player and the most passes from any Ajax player. Also the work rate and marking which aren't entirely quantified. Then of course the two big dribbles in the first half. At the end he was even telling De Ligt and Blind what to do.

Last edited:

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Are some people that low on memory to forget that 7 months ago, Varane put a clinic in the WC and won the title? Where were Ramos, Modric or Ronaldo?
Either watching TV or looking at Varane lifting the trophy.

It's sad to see Modric, Ballon d'Or winner in such a sad state. Goes to show you how a team can make a player look better than he is. He's been outplayed since early july (end of the group stage of the WC) by many players, including Mbappe who is dominating right now.

Madrid winning 3 straight wasn't a fluke, but they sure weren't as dominant as some here are portaying them to be. They sucked in the league last year.
In fact, I'll add that when they played PSG in their first KO game last season, they were ready to end the cycle. Couple of ref decisions, couple of breaks and they beat Paris. Neymar got injured and all of a sudden, Real looked like a team again and finishedthe season full of confidence. But really, they were already on their last legs.

Now their coach is stupid. I don't see the point of letting Marcelo on the bench, since he can't do worse than how they're playing. Kroos, I've got nothing to add, I've said for years he was a good player, but hardly the allstar depicted here. Modric has always been a good player but also not the superstar "best MF in history" narrative. I'm sure he's embarrased by it since he seems like a humble guy too. Varane has ups and downs, but is still usually better than Ramos. Casemiro is getting exposed. He's most useful when he gets away with 3 ungiven yellows. Bale is not a superstar. He's up there with Coutinho (who at least has time to change that argument) as the worst 100M players on the planet. Benzema was the most dangerous Real player in both legs, but he's all alone on that Real offense. He's still having the best season out of any Madrid player. That said, if he gets into that NT state o mind where he feels he shouldn't make any effort because he's the best offensive player on the roster, he will fail. Vinicius is loaded with talent, but needs time to make an impact. Not everyone is an Mbappe. Courtois has looked extremely ordinary so far. He too needs to get his shit together.

Madrid will sell Modric, Marcelo and Bale most likely next summer. 3 pieces to replace, and they will need to invest in that MF because Casemiro and Kroos won't cut it. They need two wingers and a striker that can push Benzema. Defensively, they'll need a LB, a CB to push Varane and Ramos.
No worries, they are loaded with money and haven't spent much at all the last few years. They'll sign Hazard, Pjanic, someone like Alex Sandro and a Salah or something for RW and a Pogba at MF. That's something like 500M spent.

And Mourinho to ruin it all :)

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
On the Salah subject, I’d never say never, but he has gone quite far to keep his family out of the spotlight and would probably not want to be on a circus team. I think his family has been photographed one time.

Liverpool would also put a world record price tag on him, RM would probably not want to deal with that.

Then there’s the Ramos thing. There is no way he would ever play with that guy and Liverpool thinks he injured Salah on purpose, with Salah’s best friend Lovren having had...Lovren-like comments on the subject.

If they wanted someone from Liverpool, way more likely they’d get Firmino.

Last edited:

Vasilevskiy

The cat will be back
Dec 30, 2008
Barcelona
Are some people that low on memory to forget that 7 months ago, Varane put a clinic in the WC and won the title? Where were Ramos, Modric or Ronaldo?

It's sad to see Modric, Ballon d'Or winner in such a sad state. Goes to show you how a team can make a player look better than he is. He's been outplayed since early july (end of the group stage of the WC) by many players, including Mbappe who is dominating right now.

Madrid winning 3 straight wasn't a fluke, but they sure weren't as dominant as some here are portaying them to be. They sucked in the league last year.
In fact, I'll add that when they played PSG in their first KO game last season, they were ready to end the cycle. Couple of ref decisions, couple of breaks and they beat Paris. Neymar got injured and all of a sudden, Real looked like a team again and finishedthe season full of confidence. But really, they were already on their last legs.

Now their coach is stupid. I don't see the point of letting Marcelo on the bench, since he can't do worse than how they're playing. Kroos, I've got nothing to add, I've said for years he was a good player, but hardly the allstar depicted here. Modric has always been a good player but also not the superstar "best MF in history" narrative. I'm sure he's embarrased by it since he seems like a humble guy too. Varane has ups and downs, but is still usually better than Ramos. Casemiro is getting exposed. He's most useful when he gets away with 3 ungiven yellows. Bale is not a superstar. He's up there with Coutinho (who at least has time to change that argument) as the worst 100M players on the planet. Benzema was the most dangerous Real player in both legs, but he's all alone on that Real offense. He's still having the best season out of any Madrid player. That said, if he gets into that NT state o mind where he feels he shouldn't make any effort because he's the best offensive player on the roster, he will fail. Vinicius is loaded with talent, but needs time to make an impact. Not everyone is an Mbappe. Courtois has looked extremely ordinary so far. He too needs to get his **** together.

Madrid will sell Modric, Marcelo and Bale most likely next summer. 3 pieces to replace, and they will need to invest in that MF because Casemiro and Kroos won't cut it. They need two wingers and a striker that can push Benzema. Defensively, they'll need a LB, a CB to push Varane and Ramos.
No worries, they are loaded with money and haven't spent much at all the last few years. They'll sign Hazard, Pjanic, someone like Alex Sandro and a Salah or something for RW and a Pogba at MF. That's something like 500M spent.

And Mourinho to ruin it all :)

You know I love you but Varane has been as pedestrian as Modric. He is a top-5 CB in the world (top-3 in overall talent) and the standards are high for players like him. Just find funny that you are so harsh on Luka but not on Varane.
I also disagree on Benzema being thr most dangerous player for Madrid. IMO it was Vinicius but he is even more wasteful in front of the net than Karim

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
If Varane had won the B d'Or, I would be just as harsh.
Modric is a top midfielder, never said the contrary. He's just not the best MF of the last 20 years or all time like I've read here.
And I reiterate he shouldn't have won the B D'Or. The WC was the biggest event of the year and he wasn't the best player there, especially after the group stage, when games matter more. Lloris, Varane, Mbappe, Hazard were better in the KO stage.
And since then, Mbappe is the only one who has been outstanding.

Vinicius? Come on, he didn't even play the second leg. Benzema was a scorer and the most dangerous player over both games.

Corto

Faceless Man
Sep 28, 2005
Braavos

What's your point? Was Croatia the favorite vs France somehow? Are you blaming Modric for not winning the WC final?
I mean, fair play Croatia were better for 60 minutes, but didn't have a Pitana on their side, so maybe you are.
/saltmode off

If Varane had won the B d'Or, I would be just as harsh.
Modric is a top midfielder, never said the contrary. He's just not the best MF of the last 20 years or all time like I've read here.

Name 3 better in the last 20 years, for starters. And you'll start at Xavi and Iniesta (those are the top-3 IMO, Modric, Xavi, Iniesta, debatable in which order IF there is an order), and then you'll name a very-good-but-not-quite-great French guy whose achievements will ultimately fall flat compared to Modric. :D

In the current mood people forget... This squad won an absolutely unbelievable 4 CLs in 5 years and 3 on the go.
I'm not sure we'll see it done again for 50 years. It was a fantastic team, under an underrated manager in ZZ, and a quick rebuild is a small price to pay for 4 CLs in 5 years.

As for Modric's current state, like I said (and according to most of Madrid-media and fans) he was basically the only one to show up last night.
He's back to decent form and is far from any main problems Madrid have.
Since there will be a rebuild, makes sense for Perez to let him go harvest one last paycheck at Inter or PSG or wherever.

LOL @ Ballon d'Or comments. He basically swept the awards and won regardless of whether players, managers, journalists or fans voted - Ballon d'Or, FIFA award, whatever.
But Evilo thinks 5 Frenchmen were all better, including Lloris, no problem.

Reactions: Islesfan22
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad