GWT: Champions League Round of 16 Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
That fall just pretty much sums up the entire night, a massive fail.

The fall wasn't really the issue, the issue was that he was running towards the net for absolutely no reason which put him in a position to have to try to stop suddenly.

There's absolutely no reason to stay nearly level with Modric there. You stay back a couple strides so he can play exactly the ball he did for a tapin.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
New RM fans are learning the lesson that most people already know. When you don't have a Ronaldo or Messi, when it comes to these super big games, you're just another team and the games could go either way. Like how it used to be.
I agree & I don’t agree
Modric, Kroos, Bale...madrid have just been shite tonight
But it is a different game when you have an all-time great in the side

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It's over because of this nonsense lack of squad rotation. The A players ran out of form and energy, and there was nothing about Favre's system that provided offensive structure for the backups when that happened. Clubs at Dortmund's level are rarely deep enough to keep up with a club like Bayern domestically while having a bunch of extra European and domestic cup fixtures.
I don't disagree, but probably more likely to come back 3-0 vs Spurs than compete with FC Hollywood for 10 games for title.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I agree & I don’t agree
Modric, Kroos, Bale...madrid have just been ****e tonight
But it is a different game when you have an all-time great in the side

The way I see it is, even when Ronaldo was shit, he still scored almost all the time and that helped the team maintain their level throughout even when other players were also playing poorly. That element is gone now and never coming back, there's no replacing a player like that. They do also now have shit players in the team.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
giphy.gif

Reactions: Vasilevskiy

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I don't disagree, but probably more likely to come back 3-0 vs Spurs than compete with FC Hollywood for 10 games for title.

Win vs Spurs and you still have to beat 3 clubs better than you over 5 games for it to mean anything. Still more likely to perform better than Bayern over 10 Bundesliga matches.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
The way I see it is, even when Ronaldo was ****, he still scored almost all the time and that helped the team maintain their level throughout even when other players were also playing poorly. That element is gone now and never coming back, there's no replacing a player like that. They do also now have **** players in the team.

Say, how is Juventus doing in the CL right now?

Goals aren't scored in a vacuum and the best goal scorer has a far smaller individual impact than most think.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California

Goals aren't scored in a vacuum and the best goal scorer has a far smaller individual impact than most think.
Why does it matter how Ronaldo is doing with Juve? The fact is he scored a ton with RM and many games was the only one scoring or out scored the other team. They replaced that with a kid and a GK. They also did nothing to fix their midfield that was already on its last legs but can definitely pass.

Reactions: Cassano

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA

Ronaldo is also having his worst goalscoring season in years at 34 years old. Goals aren't scored in a vacuum, but when a team has a player like that which attracts the attention of the whole defense, it has an extreme impact on results.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Ajax could've scored 8 TBH.

That defense is shambles. Problem is they have 2 supposedly world class CBs + GKs that keep conceding goals for fun.

Reactions: Gecklund

Juve

May 13, 2011
Somewhere around the world
Ronaldo is also having his worst goalscoring season in years at 34 years old. Goals aren't scored in a vacuum, but when a team has a player like that which attracts the attention of the whole defense, it has an extreme impact on results.

Maybe in Champions League but he's definitely scoring in Serie A. He and the team would score more if Allegri knew what offence is.

Real did not properly replace. It came to bite them in the ass.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Why does it matter how Ronaldo is doing with Juve? The fact is he scored a ton with RM and many games was the only one scoring or out scored the other team. They replaced that with a kid and a GK. They also did nothing to fix their midfield that was already on its last legs but can definitely pass.

It matters a great deal if your argument is simply "Ronaldo gives his team plot armor."

And that sudden drop - mostly in the Champions League - corresponds with him moving to a weaker club with a weaker supporting cast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad